Random Talk Thread V: Fast Vive

OK, this is officially awesome. This is the kind of project where you can go, “See? Math is important!” Maybe they can use it for a science fair project? Perhaps two, if a bird takes up residence?

3 Likes

We’ll see. In practice, she had too much real homework to try this now. We’ll see if we pick it up later.

1 Like

:frowning:

I don’t know if this is so much BS or a promising angle, but the concept is very titillating to my brainmeat.

4 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if anyone is going to take him up on his idea? There are plenty of matter-antimatter colliders around, although they’re usually pretty busy. The IR detector would have to be super cool and well insulated from the surroundings, but that is certainly feasible and should be familiar infrastructure to the people who maintain colliders. Finally, physicists are always looking for new physics to work on, so this seems like it would be appealing.

4 Likes

I’m a layperson, but this seems a delightful avenue of exploration.

2 Likes

thefifthelement-5th

Found the Fifth Element! :grin:

The headline confuses me. The states of matter are clear to me and so are elements (at least I thought so). Can those terms be used interchangeably?

Asking for a friend…
A pedantic friend, obviously…

4 Likes

Apparently alchemy is no longer considered a legitimate science. Go figure.

But ya, when did states of matter get the “elements” moniker? Especially since we’ve got a periodic table full of them as well. Talk about confusing grade 8’s (and 50 year olds).

4 Likes

It looks like a bit of a stretch on the part of the flacks in the PR department at Pompey (U Portsmouth). Basically, if ‘information’ is a state of matter with mass, then it’s like the elements (mass!) but isn’t one. Then again, a lot of things that aren’t elements have rest mass so…

5 Likes

This is on oddlysatisfying but I find it oddly horrifying. Thoughts?

3 Likes

I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, except it seems there’s too many tone-deaf idjuts our there who think they should be the conductor, and I don’t need that kind of stress in my life.

5 Likes

This is a logical end point, even if it is a bit too far:

I like the hover text: “Donate now to help us find a cure for causality. No one should have to suffer through events because of other events”

6 Likes

I am tone deaf so if I can’t be the conductor what role can I play? Trust me you would rather have me waving my arms silently as everyone ignores me than me actually singing along. I can make Halleluja sound like thrash death metal as opposed to gospel.

3 Likes

I would actually be happy with that, since Cohen’s Hallelujah really isn’t a gospel song. (Seriously, check the lyrics beyond verse 1!)

3 Likes

I find Cohens original really flat and emotionless after Jeff Buckleys version nailed it to be honest VH and jeff nails the darker side of that song in a way Cohen could only wish he had.

3 Likes

You know what must be posted now, don’t you?

1455072600_borderlands2_krieg_quote2

Someone had to :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Krieg is never out of style.

4 Likes

That sentence encapsulates precisely how I feel about navigating society at large.

4 Likes

Pretty interesting how a big tech company can briefly destroy an entire industry in the worlds biggest city for a few hours.

2 Likes

And it never occurred to anyone at Grubhub to consult with their partner restaurants, or at least give them a heads-up so they could order extra supplies and have staff ready?

Unfortunately, this level of stupidity is exactly what you get from the “move fast and break things” tech start-up paradigm. Especially when those responsible simply view everything as numbers in a database instead of real people doing real work to produce and deliver real things.

What’s the betting that none of those responsible for this terrible implementation of an idea have ever worked retail or food service in their lives? It really should be a requirement of all business administration programs that students have to have first-hand experience of the jobs they will end up managing at some point.

I wonder if anyone has grounds to sue?

2 Likes