Random Talk Thread V: Fast Vive

Of course Grub hub’s line is that they “totally communicate with all the eligible restaurants through email and the app”.

Which means they sent an email and put 2 notifications on the app that a small business owner is supposed to keep track up on top of ten thousand other things.

It seems really plausible from a lot of fronts. I could see a class action coming down the pipe for users. For restaurants I assume it would be harder, especially if they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds with grubhub, which I think is a whole thing now.

I can’t remember if the discussion was here or in the comments on Ars Techncica - think it might have been the latter. But a lot of restaurants end up only breaking even or taking a loss when orders are placed through 3rd party websites. (I think the context was actually a class action filed against Google over the way it creates its own restaurant pages and may not link directly to official web sites.)

Basically, a common refrain among the anecdotes posted by those who’d asked individual owners/managers was that if they’re not on Grubhub/Foodora/UberEats, they may as well be closed, but they only make a decent return on take-out/delivery if customers end up ordering direct (either by phone or web site).

I’ll sometimes find myself looking at a menu in one of those food delivery services, but I absolutely refuse to use them to actually place orders.

2 Likes

Well I live in the boonies where they don’t have service anyway. May it stay that way. I’ll order from there if I’m on a trip in a bigger city mostly because city driving scares the dick out of me and I’d rather just stay holed up in my hotel with my laptop.

When I’m at a hotel, I usually grab a bunch of the flyers/menus for local food joints they tend to have in the main lobby for guests. Those often have a fair number that offer delivery to the hotel, and you can sometimes get a discount that way.

1 Like

We try to order direct whenever possible. There are restaurants that don’t have their own sites around here, who’s only method is GrubHub/Seamless/UberEATS, and some that wouldn’t take an order/payment over the phone. But we always check before we use a 3rd party.

Would’ve definitely have been up for $15 off though.

2 Likes

Priceless.

Also, not bad for someone with Covid brain fog. Apparently, having long Covid has the same affect on the brain as aging twenty years. Um, no thanks.

1 Like

The older I get, the more I think everyone should get an up-to-date dictionary and a refresher course in reading comprehension as a birthday gift each year.

Maybe the dictionary could be biannual.

5 Likes

The dictionaries are usually quite a bit behind, too…

That’s alright though, since many new expressions and/or youth slang have all the longevity of a kamikaze mayfly.

5 Likes

Yeah, make the mistake of using a youth culture slang term from even the latest dictionary, and you’re guaranteed a collective eye-roll if not an outright “OK Boomer!”

4 Likes

Somehow VH, given the amount you like dad jokes, I doubt that stops you. Might even be the point.

Yeah though, I didn’t even much like a lot of the slang I grew up with.

4 Likes

My favorite thing is to drive by middle schools yelling boomer.

Gotta keep them young minds stronk.

3 Likes

Two consecutive days of >80°F and ≈50% humidity, now my body feels like a note I wrote then crumpled for the bin because I realized it was incoherent.

5 Likes

misusing_slang

5 Likes

I was going to quote the word and make a comment about how GenX /Boomers went rushing to Urban Dictionary (aside : as I typed dic, my phone suggested “dickishness”. That’s a problem when my phone thinks I use that word more often than “dictionary”), but I think the screenshot does the trick.

3 Likes

There are absolute gems on Twitter, if you can get past all the coprolite.

1 Like

Atwood is a hero. And Penguin too.

Announcing the book, Penguin Random House said: “Across the United States and around the world, books are being challenged, banned and even burned. So we created a special edition of a book that’s been challenged and banned for decades.
“Printed and bound using fireproof materials, this edition of Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale was made to be completely un-burnable. It is designed to protect this vital story and stand as a powerful symbol against censorship.”

Edit : this from a list of banned or challenged books

Actual curses and spells. Maybe someone should tell these people that……

4 Likes

Can I drop one of 'em if I point a wooden stick at them and shout ‘Avada Kedavra’?

I mean, if someone believes that it’s an actual curse…

Maybe that’s a little harsh. Can they fly when hit with a ‘Vingardium Leviosa’? That would be fun. A bunch of religious fundamentalists floating under the ceiling.

And yes: Go Margaret!

4 Likes

Can you imagine such a person might actually wince if you threateningly point a random stick at them?

My dog carries my wand for me on our walks - sometimes I toss it but she always brings it back, even from the lake. I also taught her how to cast spells so you better not mess with either of us.

Oh and make sure you say “levio-SAH” otherwise poor results.

5 Likes

@Curmudge0n Good catch!
@VaultHunter101 Try to hide from me in the pictures thread will you?

Also, it’s Wingardium Leviosa.

4 Likes

I thought a Leviosa was one of those stuffed pastry hors d’ouevres with the spicy filling?

Now I want food! Is the cake real? :birthday: Apparently not. :frowning:

5 Likes