Random unused map musing

A thing that has been curious to me since my first time finishing a BL2 story run is around the two unused maps.
Both Lynchwood and the Caustic Caverns not have to be entered in story mode or otherwise. One can get to OP10 without ever setting foot in those places.
Just very interesting to me, and I don’t recall seeing this in any other game I’ve played. Huge areas with great details and a lot of programmer, designer, and artist work in a game and it may never be seen, not even for a simple fetch-and-carry mission.
Wonder why there wasn’t a single story mission in either place?
–RoA

3 Likes

My guess would be there was, but it got scrubbed at some point in development. It’s interesting to speculate on what might have been! For example, there’s a little nook along the north side of the spiderant gully in The Dust with a hut and a gate. The first time I found that I kept wondering when the story would unlock that obvious map transition and what was on the other side. But it’s just a hut and a gate.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought that Lynchwood might have been an intended dlc for Brick but instead was just added to the main game- it certainly fills in the part of the story of what happened to Nisha after TPS (even though it happened first chronologically)

4 Likes

And Brick does run your ops there (like Mordy in Tundra Express). Equal shakes for the bros!

3 Likes

Oh my, yes. I still look at that and wonder what’s back there.

Funny story. I didn’t fail the W4RDN fight until my umpteenth playthrough, so I often had the same question about the Friendship Gulag, even though it is smaller than either of your examples.

2 Likes

It’s quite interesting(and convenient) that these 2 exact maps also level with you, even in NVHM and TVHM.

The Dust too I think?

And if I remember correctly are immediatly avaible in PT.2

1 Like

Is glitched in TVHM but levels in NVHM.

1 Like

This sends you to the Gulag to complete the mission and so it could be argued that it is part of the story-line, but I do get the point. And until I did ‘Safe and Sound’ I wasn’t entirely sure where the Caustic Caverns actually were, even tho I somehow stumbled my way into Sanctuary Hole once but didn’t actually drop down to the mine’s entrance.

3 Likes

I remember on one of my first playthroughs trying to get over on the other side of that gate by jumping up the hut and stuff, and was sad there was an invisible wall and apparently nothing beyond. :frowning: And you’re right, it does look like a map transition point that exists, before it’s unlocked and the ‘transition’ graphics are overlaid on it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve looked at that gate more than once and wondered why they bothered to include it since it doesn’t actually do anything.

1 Like

If it’s the gate on the way to Mobley and Gettle, you actually could get over it with a clever vehicle boost from Ellie’s garage and a couple jumps. There’s about 3x the size of the regular dust map out there to drive around on.

3 Likes

In Bloodshot Stronghold, after the room with the turret, there is a section of wall on the left with 5 lights just like the ones used to summon Flinter, and a section of wall that looks like it would be a sliding panel. I asked about it way back, and was told it’s probably just a reused asset, but it looks like more.

4 Likes