Rapiers vs Sabres

Phoebe’s swords are totally rapiers right? The game refers to them as rapiers in some of the written lore as I recall, but in some of her voice lines she refers to them as sabres. Is there a sword expert here that can put my mind at ease?[poll public=true]

• Rapiers
  • Sabres
    [/poll]
2 Likes

Yes; design-wise, they are rapiers.

okay, I know a bit due to a healthy interest in swords.

phoebe as a character includes many references to fencing. one use for a sabre besides military dress uniform is sport fencing.

as noted on the attached link
"The sabre is one of the three weapons of modern sport fencing, and is alternatively spelled saber in American English. The sabre differs from the other modern fencing weapons, the épée and foil, in that it is possible to score with the edge of the blade"
http://www.fencing.com/NewTFC/Sabre_Fencing.html

so the fact that phoebe is able to CUT with her swords would lend credence to the fact that she is in fact using a sabre(or saber it’s the same thing) which falls under the “fencing weapons” archetype which most people refer to as rapiers…

so my answer is both are true

edit: i’m also out of likes so I can’t like your post

7 Likes

@Genericktag I just had a whim to do some broad research on different weapons(mainly kama but i’m kind of curious to see some of the real life) do you mind if I post here if I find anything interesting(the interesting stuff will probably be related to precept which is rath’s big sword)

There, i liked it for you; always covering your ass…

1 Like

i’m a bum and i’m getting intrigued so i’ll actually start a post of my own and since I’ve done a little studying of topics including the application of magnetic force i’ll include railguns in it!

3 Likes

Oooh, I’d like to see that. Been debating for a while (and a actually testing) to see if Rath’s fighting style is viable.

To the OP: Look at her fighting style. In a very basic nutshell, a foil (most common fencing weapon these days) can only stab, but sabres can also slash. Looking at her combo, she does have a few slashes thrown in, leading me to believe they’re sabres. Although honestly, either could work.

Not at all! I’d love to see what you come up with.

1 Like

Whoops! Too late! Looking forward to reading you’re post anyway!

first one isn’t too complex

rath(@blainebrossart1)

Axiom and praxis would be a modified form of a katana or tachi

precept would fall under Odachi or Nodachi which simply means “large sword” or “great sword”

@Genericktag since you’re okay with it i’ll keep it here and draw people slowly with their favorite battleborn and as close as I could find to real life equivalent to their kit

2 Likes

What about the way he uses them, though, with his left hand like normal but his right in a reverse grip, and then starting his combo with the reverse swing? I’ve tried it a couple of times with my practice gear and it honestly feels more than slightly weird.

Galilea though? Pretty standard stuff, but she does occasionally use two hands despite still having a shield - no idea if that’s even possible with a standard shield that size, let alone practical.

@HandsomeCam in thanks for your loaning me likes i’m going to do railguns next with a link for you to do some research for yourself

the defining point on a railgun as opposed to a “coil gun”
“Maybe I should also point out that there is a difference between a railgun and a coilgun. A coilgun uses a series of electromagnetic coils to accelerate a ferromagnetic projectile. For the railgun, the projectile is accelerated because of a current running through the projectile. This means that it only needs to be an electric conductor and not a ferromagnetic material.”

basically a railgun has two pieces of metal as “rails” with a power supply hooked up to them then the ammo in the center. when the current runs through the rails it shoots the ammo out

3 Likes

Sabers are curved swords with a single sharp edge. Used almost entirely for slashing with the possibility of stabbing. Most commonly used while riding horses and taking advantage of the momentum given by the horse for powerful swings.

Rapiers are swords with sharpened points used almost exclusively for stabbing. While the tip being sharp would allow for a cut from slashing, it wouldn’t make a deep cut. The precise strikes would often be used to take advantage of chinks in the enemies armor and deliver fatal or debilitating wounds.

@loving-hatred I’ve seen Axiom and Praxis listed in his lore as katanas but that is simply incorrect. Katanas are ALWAYS curved as it is necessary for the style in which they are made and is what makes them so strong. The There is nothing that resembles Precept. It is an impractical weapon due to it’s sheer size.

1 Like

@blainebrossart1 a nodachi is 91 cm or over following Wikipedia’s info which i’ll admit can be wrong…that’s as close to precept as you’re going to get…and it’s ceremonial

1 Like

“The word “rapier” is a German word to describe what was considered to be a foreign weapon.[1] The word rapier was not used by Italian, Spanish, and French masters during the apogee of this weapon, the terms spada, espada, and épée (or espée) being instead the norm (generic words for “sword”). Because of this, as well as the great variation of late-16th and 17th century swords, some like Tom Leoni[who?] simply describe the rapier as a straight-bladed, two-edged, single-handed sword of that period which is sufficient in terms of both offense and defence, not requiring a companion weapon.[citation needed] To avoid the confusion of lumping all swords together, some categorize such swords by their function and use. For example, John Clements categorizes thrusting swords with poor cutting abilities as rapiers, and swords with both good thrusting and cutting abilities as cut and thrust swords.[2] Some, however, look at the rapier in its entire time-line and see that it never truly fits into any single definition. Across Europe, the weapon changed based on culture and the fighting style that was prescribed; be it Italian, Spanish, or some other instruction on the weapon’s use, so that lengths, widths, hilt designs and even the lack or placement of an edge or edges differed at the same time. One might wear a rapier with a swept hilt and edges on the same day as another might wear one with a cup hilt and an edgeless blade.”

a slightly more in depth look at the history of the word rapier, we were both partly right

2 Likes

Still has the curved edge to it though. It’s a signature trait among Japanese swords as the metal on the blunt side is softer than the metal on the edge. And Precept is much longer than 91 CM. Like I said, it’s a very impractical weapon.

1 Like

not arguing that at all my friend, merely showing there are similarities. and the reason the metal is softer near the spine of the blade is softer is that the edges are MUCH harder than those of western swords so they can be sharpened further, but without softer metal by the spine to absorb impacts such a hard sword would shatter under impact

1 Like

Neither am I. Just saying my observations. That’s why I’m liking your comments.

1 Like

Oh, i know how railguns work; i’ve beaten Resident Evil 3. It’s pushing those large batteries in order that make it so strong, right?

Seriously though, i love how so many games’ idea of a raingun is a slow-moving energy projectile when, in reality, it should be the epitome of “hit-scan”; a projectile that goes so fast, it sets the air around it on fire as it’s fired… Ever see the video of the battleship firing that giant one? F**king SCARY… It reminded me a lot of the “Mako Cannon” in Final Fantasy 7.

1 Like

Loving hatred @nbrownlie237 pointed out that before that marquis gun is more of a railgun then just some regular energy sniper rifle, would you agree it is a rail sniper rifle