Rapiers vs Sabres

Quite possible but it could be a “coil gun” using the article description

1 Like

Most likely. Almost possible that it was originally a standard (ish) gun with magnetic accelerators added on as extras. (Total guess)

1 Like

Yeah a “coil gun” or “guass gun” is more accurate, @cadecampbell; think of them as the man-portable version of a railgun; which, in reality, is too big for Berg’s arm gun to REALLY be considered a “railgun” either.

Well… Unless you count it as being something like Crying Wolf’s railgun; this IS the future we’re talking about, after all:

2 Likes

The term “railgun” is used pretty loosely on video games though. Traditionally it’s a title just stuck onto any kind of charge-shot weapon.

2 Likes

Presequel did it right

2 Likes

I know; it just irks me. I’ve said before that i’m a gun nut. I also hate how some games use different names for some guns, and not like calling the Thompson .45 submachine gun the “chicago typewriter” either, because at least that has some historical reference; i mean like calling an AK47 or M16 something similar but different, like an “AN47”.
Are there royalties on gun names in games, or something? I honestly don’t know.

2 Likes

Im enjoying this, plz continue!

1 Like

What about it are you enjoying? If it’s the learning, you’d be better off talking to @loving-hatred; i’m more of a ranting jokester.

1 Like

Yeah, I think they have to get liscenses from companies to feature their guns. That’s why they rename them and remodel them, so they can avoid having to need a liscense. I could be wrong though.

2 Likes

Same deal with games that make a car that looks oh-so-like a Mustang but call it the “Stallion” or something.

3 Likes

@Genericktag, @nbrownlie237; i admittedly don’t know a lot about how copyright and royalties work, so i can’t argue whether or not you guys are wrong; instead, i will accept your opinions as fact, because it FEELS like there must be some logical reason for devs to change the look and names…

3 Likes

If you are really curious about different swords, this guy really knows his stuff:

2 Likes

I’d like to “stick my 3 cents” here:
Rapier is generally a sword speciallized for thrusting, at the expense of some cutting capacity: and old fencing treatices mention using this “left capacity”. Specialization in thrusting means it’s blade is stiff (1). pointy (2) and long (3). Thus Dark Souls’ rapier is such a failure :wink:
Sabre’s distinct feature is also it’s being specialized sword, but for cutting instead. And it’s not all about curved blade as manny sabres are quite straight. Also there are many forms of cutting specialization techniques, saber’s is: one sided (1), curved (2), wide cutting edge (3), with a specifically placed point of balance to make one-handed slashing moves fast and easy.
Trivia: some sabres can thust, all rapiers can cut.

BTW Talking about real life weapons’s features when considering fictional ones barely looking simillarly :unamused:
Also: sport fencing and personal defence weapons, eee right.

EDIT
PS I second the above recommendation, schola-guy knows the stuff.

3 Likes

Hmmm. While Phoebe can do a sort of slice with True Strike, most of her main attack is through a thrusting motion. As a casual observer “rapier” was the first thought that came to my mind.

And yes, we’re obviously talking about a soft sci-fi weapon wielded by a cartoon character, but that doesn’t mean there’s no basis to any of it.

1 Like

They are Rapiers in design, but she uses them both ways, Rapiers aren’t typically used for slashing, I believe.

1 Like

Yes, but primarily it seems to be thrust and jab attacks.

2 Likes

The sharpened tip makes it possible for a rapier to slash but just not effectively as any cuts won’t be very deep. Rapiers are designed mostly for precise strikes against any sort of weakness an opponent shows.

2 Likes

Right, that’s what I figured. Been a while since I seen a Skallagrim video.

1 Like