Re-adding the ship launch menu hotkeys to the Remastered game?

In the original Homeworld 1 (and in Homeworld: Cataclysm), you could quickly launch docked ships with hotkeys and just 1 mouse click, rather than having to constantly click your way through a clunky ‘mouse-only’ launch menu, as Homeworld 2 and the Remastered edition both force you to do.

And I dunno about anyone else here, but I dearly miss the ability to quickly launch ships with just 1-2 keystrokes and a single mouse click, versus the clunky and constant mouse movement and clicking that the Remastered UI forces me to do.

Anyway… is it ‘technically’ possible for a game mod to re-add this functionality back into Remastered? Like, this isn’t one of those ‘hard-coded’ things that a mod would have huge trouble trying to fix, is it?

1 Like

I too would like to see this as a fix. @Dom2, @radar3301, @sastrei.

I’m not sure how to re-add it, but are you talking about how ships would organize by type in the launch menu in HW1?

That would be nice too, but that’s not what specifically what I was referring to.

In the original Homeworld 1 (and in Homeworld: Cataclysm), if you wanted to scramble all docked ships, you merely needed to press ‘L’, and then ‘A’. The first key opened the launch menu for docked ships, and the second key executed the ‘Launch All’ command.

If you had a large amount of docked ships but only needed a few at a given time, you could tap ‘L’, click the listed name of the ship you wanted, and then tap ‘Spacebar’, which executed the ‘Launch One’ command. For instance, maybe you only wanted to launch 3 Salvage Corvettes: you’d press ‘L’, click on the Salvage Corvette’s listing, and then tap ‘Spacebar’ 3 times. Bam; 3 Salvage Corvettes are now launching.

Finally, sometimes you wanted to launch a lot of ships, but not ‘all’ of them. Exclusive to Cataclysm, was the ability to ‘Launch Group’, where you would select a ship type, and (if I remember correctly) tap ‘G’ to launch all ships of that type. So in short: You tap ‘L’, click the ship type you want, then tap ‘G’. This was useful if you wanted to, say, launch all of your docked ACVs/Acolytes at once, but still wanted to keep your MCVs/Mimics and Workers safely docked for the moment.

Understand now?

2 Likes

Wow! I had forgotten about all of that. I haven’t played HW1 since the release of HW2 in 2003. This would definitely be a plus for HWR.

1 Like

Considering how long it’s been since HWR initially released, I have doubts that Gearbox will churn out an official patch that returns those hotkeys anytime soon.

So again, I ask: Is it possible to implement this old functionality via a game mod of some sort?

1 Like

Was this the wrong subforum to ask this sort of question, then?

I don’t think it was the wrong subforum, but possibly the interest level is low?

I reiterate that I for one would like to see a fix that incorporates this functionality.

1 Like

Perhaps most of the main mod developers for the Homeworld games don’t hang around here much? I can’t quite fathom interest being low in regards to hotkeys, especially when their absence actually downgrades the gameplay experience.

Hell, remember our old Build Manager, Launch Manager, and Research Manager? In Homeworld 1, you had to exit back into the regular screen, before you open a different Manager screen. But Cataclysm fixed that problem, and allowed you to freely swap between all 3 Managers, without ever having to bring up the regular screen first.

Regardless of the mixed reception Cataclysm may have had in regards to the story and strategic/tactical differences it had compared to Homeworld 1, it still boasted a good number of improvements to the basic controls and the UI. I just wish those improvements had carried over to Homeworld 2; in many ways the Homeworld 2 UI was a bloated, clunky downgrade to its predecessors.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t mean disinterest, but maybe this thread simply didn’t get the attention that it deserves. The primary mod developers definitely do visit this ‘Mods and Modding’ section - probably more than any other.

I just haven’t had the time to look into it yet.

1 Like

I’m interested, I just don’t know how to help :frowning:

1 Like

Told ya so. :laughing: