It should be no secret to anyone. Intel on your enemy, or the denial of more often than not will give you an edge. In this thread I’ll outline my thoughts around each typical unit type and the pro and cons of each.
Pros - cheap, fast, massive range.
Cons - 1 time use, weak, set off alarms when built.
Probes are often the first choice for early and fast recon. A well positioned probe can go unnoticed due to its sensor range. They are next to impossible to intercept in flight and should be delt with as a top priority.
Use tips -
-Utilize the z axis and attemp to position your probe so that enemy units are at the edge of its sensor range, thus out of range of your enemy
- Use probes to Pre scout an expansion or rally area.
- Deploy probes near the sensor edge of the enemy’s expected expansion ahead of expansion.
- Use probes as an early warning system by deployment mid way between you and your enemy.
- Build but don’t deploy a probe at your MS to widen you base sensor range
Pros - cheap, fast, reusable.
Cons - weak, require addition management to maximize effectiveness
HW1 scouts are the preferred unit of many HW1 and former HW:C players (Cataclysm did not have probes) they are the fastest combat unit and have a superb sensor range only to be out classed by probes.
- utilize the z access to position
- use way points to set up patrol paths that dip your scout in and out of range of enemy sensors
- use the speed burst ability to retreat and return from enemy counter
HW2 scouts -
Pros - fast, strong, upgradable, replenishable
Cons - expensive, slower than HW1 scouts
While HW2 scouts are often not as viable as an early recon unit as the HW1 scout, they do come with their own advantage. HW2 scouts can hold their position and force a greater number of HW1 scouts to be deployed to be delt with. Long engagement times = longer recon time.
Use tips -
- Recon no different than described above
- stand and fight HW1 scouts (you cannot outrun them)
- deploy a rellacenent group when your primary group come under threat.
- consider using a single interceptor group as an ambush force for small HW1 or HW2 anti scout detachments. Thus forcing escalation in your terms.
I’ll leave others to weigh in or describe proxy sensors, sensor array, and other advanced HW2 units I am not very familiar with.