Returning to a Match at the Very End - Maybe a Time Limit?

So frustrating battling through a match several players down and have them return right at the end. It’s a distraction not to mention seeming unfair. Does anyone else think that if there are only 3 minutes left in the match, players can’t return?

I’m guessing you’re talking PvP here, I’m not sure I’d go as far as to say that they can’t return, mainly because if they do leave for most of the match, they aren’t getting much in terms of rewards (even if winning) as they didn’t do anything to net themselves any personal points/score/kills/etc.

where I could see this being a problem is that if you and your opponents are level 10 and they come running in at level 3, they’re going to get demolished even by the most basic of minions and could even start feeding the enemy to get them to 10 if they weren’t already which could prove to be a disadvantage.

now I’m wondering if higher level players killing much lower level players would give diminishing returns in terms of XP…

Also, i’ve had more issues with PvE, where a friend and I were running heliophage advanced with a 3rd random joined in. he left almost immediately, and because of this, the enemy difficulty scaled to 2 player and it was pretty doable. by the time we get to the boss fight and the 2 bosses at once started, he popped back in as toby no less, and had absolutely no clue how to play him.

as a level 2 toby against 2 bosses scaled for 3 player difficulty, he took all our lives within 5 minutes and we failed the mission because of this. the only time i’ve truly wanted to be able to kick a player for ruining my game.

2 Likes

Can you remember his name? Because what you described happened to me in heliophage.

Toby character and everything as u said… Even the lives exept we didnt need the lives anyway.

1 Like

Since leaving causes a scaling problem in PVE as well as PVP, maybe the answer is no returning in either and not being able to start another match until the first one is completed. It’s tricky finding a middle ground, but if the rule is the same for everyone, whether its PVE or PVP, it seems acceptable to me. If you get a map you don’t want to play, I don’t see how it makes a difference how you spend the time it takes to complete the match.

1 Like

Think you meant to reply to Moosicus.

I didnt? Damn… Well yes you are right.

I recently had my first Xbox league competition game and something very unfortunate happened during our second match. My game froze up! I had to back out as quickly as possible and restart BB so I could get back to my team. Luckily the other team didn’t gain much ground in the interim but I was miko so most of my team was really low on health when I got back. Unfortunately we lost it eventually anyway. It was not in the final minutes when this happened and it is not what I would call a common occurrence. It was not so much of a set back that we could not have won because of it but if I had been unable to return for whatever reason there is no doubt that it would have been a loss.
This was a private pvp match though. I would be okay with different rules for public play. Like if you DC you have 5 minutes to return or get replaced by a bot. If you are gone for more than that you will be under leveled and generally a detriment to the team.

1 Like

Guess there’s really no good answer. Oh well, just did Incursion with only one steadfast teammate. The time ran out, but we won and I got “Worthy of Song” just because the match was so long.

2 Likes

Disconnects aren’t the fault of the player all the time. I feel they should be able to return.
Admittedly, I am biased, hjaving less than optimal connections.

2 Likes

What if then leaves in question is actively holding the team back? I remember a couple of months ago, I was playing incursion on overgrowth with a friend or two, and after our first sentry was destroyed, our Oscar Mike would call for surrender, leave when it didn’t go through, and come back only to call for surrender again and leave when it still didn’t go through. Now this kept happening until he noticed us pushing toward the end of the match. Then he decided to stay in the back lines and let the rest of our team secure a well-deserved win and he reaped the benefits of just being in the game.

Honestly, I feel that it isn’t quite fair that he was able to do that when the rest of us had to fight a 4v5 with him constantly leaving and calling for surrender. I understand the point of people having genuine connection issues, but people like Mr. Surrender shouldn’t be allowed to do what they did, imo. :confused:

3 Likes

I’m with @LynxWolfe on this one. Disconnects are often due to connection, and as frustrating as it may be for the teammates, it’s arguably more frustrating to the player who got disconnected most of the time. Or at least that’s the way I believe it to be.

Regardless, I’m happy Battleborn doesn’t punish/restrict (or heavily so at least) those who disconnect/gets disconnected. Primarily because games doesn’t seem to able to distinguish between unintentional disconnects and intentional disconnects. Therefore a large portion would be punished for having a bad connection, which is arguably not ideal.

I used to play Overwatch every once in a while a while back, whereas I’d get 75% exp penalties for getting disconnected because of bad connection. Problem then also being that my overall connection was fine and worked perfectly fine in other games, but in Overwatch I repeatedly got put into matches with horrible connection. It was frustrating to say the least to get such (relatively) harsh penalties for something that’s not in my control.

1 Like

I totally agree. Dunno what to do to fix it though.

1 Like