Been playing Borderlands 3 since release and just went back to playing The Pre Sequel on the Handsome Collection, to finish off some missing trophies. Can’t believe the difference, and apologies for the long post, but after a short time playing, here’s my immediate thoughts:
- Starting with a new character sucks (had all the mission trophies except the first, weirdly). You have no slam, no slide, no mantle, nothing. It feels slow and annnoying. No wonder slamming in B3 sucks, if this is what not having an OZ kit is like. Amara, FL4K, Moze and Zane need to get their hands on some OZ kits, stat.
- Reaching Elpis and getting an OZ kit, that sluggishness changes immediately. Still missing sliding and mantling, but the slamming feels amazing. And I can boost while jumping, it’s fantastic. Slamming in B3 feels like jump, wait, slam, wait, wait, move, action. Slamming in TPS is more like jump, slam, move, jump, slam, action, jump, action, slam, action. There’s no pausing before moving/meleeing/shooting. It feels so much better. If B4 can combine TPS jump and slam, with the B3 mantle and slide, it’ll be a perfect parkour shooter.
- Starting from the beginning, the speed of getting into the action is great. Less than a minute (after the cutscene ends) and I’m shooting and getting shot at.
- Like Texas, everything’s bigger on Elpis. Numbers-wise, at least. I switched to a level 50 character for my next trophy and looked at the gear I had, all between level 40 and 50. Pistol did 2k damage, SMG did 1500, AR was 2100, shotgun did 3Kx5. My sniper was just a vladof and did 3200. Rocket launcher was 100K and my lasers were 1K to 4K. My shield had 10K hit points and it wasn’t even a turtle shield or anything. I had 2 grenades, a MIRV which did 12Kx9 and a leech which did 4Kx7 (not as cool as the weird combos in B3, but way more powerful). Looks like the B3 VHs are weaklings, so far, even including Amara.
- I MISS LASERS! I’d love to see them come back at some point, maybe with something new.
- Cryo was so different. I’d forgotten it was just a DoT effect and froze enemies solid almost randomly.
- Everything’s faster up here, too. WHOOSH! My menu is zooming along at hyperspeed, I swear. I needed some level 1 guns for the grinder, so I used my player 2 controller to make some new characters. Honestly, I managed to make 6 new characters (one of each), one after the other, open their menu, move to the inventory, drop their 2 equipped guns, back out, quit out of the game and select the next VH. Afterwards, I deleted all 6. It had been less than ONE MINUTE. In B3, it’d be longer than that for each one, I reckon.
- Dropping loot as FragTrap, I realise I’ve emptied my gear onto the floor and I’m quitting before the game can finishing rendering the character. He’s just a floating eye/camera and a pair of arms. It’s good and bad, because the game is fast on menus but slow on loading other stuff, but that’s still good, as it focuses computer power where I want it to be.
- Luneshines. I’d forgotten them entirely, but now I realise they’re just anointed loot. Maybe they’re not done as well, since you mostly have to use the grinder to get them, but some of them are better than the B3 anointments, IMO.
- Speaking of the grinder, I have to use it to finish some challenges, and I remember something. It sucks. It’s a massive time suck and I never got the hang of some of the recipes. I stick 3 guns in and it refuses them, swap one pistol for another (same level and rarity) and it gobbles them down immediately. It’s level 1, so costs no moonstones and spits out a Luneshine weapon that increases the XP I receive. Cool. It’s useful and it spits out legendaries (including every legendary in the game, I think. No M4 restrictions, no opening the golden chest and finding the same few items each time, no getting a woodblocker every 10 minutes) in a predictable manner, but I still prefer going around, playing the game, over anything that keeps you in the same place for long periods of time.
- There’s no anointed enemies. Anywhere. I look, but can’t find them. My VH does a little dance of excitement, never knowing the reality of having to face them. I mean, there’s still some other annoying enemies, obviously, but not in the same league.
- I MISS CLAPTRAPS! I love going back to the older games and seeing all the different models of claptrap in the games. I know lots of people hate him, but I think they’re awesome.
- Something else I notice that B3 does better: having to manually pickup everything from lootable objects (loose money and ammo) is annoying. I then go to fast travel and remember I need to go to a fast travel point, instead of just opening my map. So much better in B3.
- The bank in B3 is better too, especially now its been upgraded to a more decent size. I spot the old customs locker for swapping items between characters and remember having to move them 4 at a time. So annoying. I stopped bothering and used a player 2 mule character, to be honest.
- Messing around with the legendaries I have on my character, they feel more wacky, more fun to play with, but they’re all more powerful then the purples of the same level I’m seeing. Unlike a lot of the ones in B3, these feel special. Maybe it’s because they’re rarer, especially the Luneshine ones, but they seem better than the B3 ones.
- I go to sell some loot and click sell all non-favourites. No choosing the junk, it just offloads the lot. It’s quicker and I wish it was an option in B3, but I also remember accidentally selling loot I wanted, so I still scroll through and favourite items I like before hitting the vending machines next time.
- While browsing my inventory I recall something and toggle the sort mode. Sort by Value pops up and I scroll to the bottom. This needs to come back in B3, I think. So much better than sorting by score, as I can quickly drop the lowest value goods and sell the highest value ones. So much better.
TL;DR = TPS does a lot of things better than B3, on reflection. It does a lot of things worse, too, but Gearbox should definitely go back to TPS and learn some lessons.
Anyone else gone back to earlier games and noticed changes they’d forgotten? Any thoughts on features B3 should bring back?