I personally would rather see Gearbox rework/update the mayhem modifiers over taking the easy way and just removing them with Mayhem 11. The idea of modifiers is not the problem, it’s the modifiers themselves being lame and not offering anything but a headache. IMO modifiers should give and take. Give some benefit while also making the game harder or interesting in some way.
Here’s what I would do to make the modifiers better…
- Modifiers that don’t need a change; Speed Demon, Slayer, Lootsplosion, Galaxy Brain, Big Kick Energy, More Than Okay Boomer, Healy Avenger, Drone Ranger, Pool Party, Laser Fare, and Holy Crit.
- Charred Mode/High Voltage/Acid Reign/Chilling Them Softly/Totally Radical/Ticked Off should be removed from the game.
- Freeze Tag: Killing an enemy has a high chance to spawn snowballs that roll around randomly and leave cryo trails that can affect the player. These snowballs are 30% the size of snowballs made from the Snowdrift artifacts. Enemies are immune to the snowballs. Cryo damage is no longer penalized when doing damage to flesh or armored targets.
- Floor Is Lava: Killing an enemy has a high chance to spawn a volcano that erupts in fireballs. Enemies are immune to the volcanoes and fireballs. Fire damage is no longer penalized when doing damage to shielded or armored targets.
- Lightning Strike: New medium modifier. Killing an enemy has a high chance to cause lightning to strike nearby up to 3 times. Lightning strikes create a massive shock nova when they hit. Enemies are immune to lightning strikes and the novas. Shock damage is no longer penalized when doing damage to flesh or armored targets.
- Children of the Atom: New medium modifier. Killing an enemy has a high chance to spawn several Children of the Atom Tinks. CotA Tinks; have a radiation aura around them; explode in large radiation novas; have rad immunity; are extremely aggressive. Enemies are immune to the rad auras and novas. Rad damage is no longer penalized when doing damage to flesh or armored targets.
- Sick Puppy: New medium modifier. Killing an enemy has a high chance to spawn a Sick Puppy Skag. Sick Puppy Skags are clones of Badass Spitter Skags but will create corrosive clouds when damaged and are immune to corrosive damage. Enemies are immune to the corrosive clouds. Corrosive damage is no longer penalized when doing damage to flesh or shielded targets.
- Chain Gang: Remove Mob Mentality from medium modifiers and combine it’s effects into Chain Gang. Enemies take 25% more damage from all sources.
- Pain Tolerance: Change to a hard modifier.
- Boundary Issues: Triple the range of the elemental beam. Deal 75% bonus damage when matching elemental damage to the enemy type.
- Not The Face: Crits deal 75% less damage than normal crits but still do more damage than body shots.
- Daze and Infused: Enemies become highly resistant to that element and deal bonus damage in that element. No immunity or novas. Player’s status effect chance for all elements increased by 50%.
- Buddy System: Add environmental collision to the drone and put a limit on it’s range.
- Post Mortem: Put an effect on enemies that will spawn the skull. Skulls have a chance to drop any legendary in the game, including dedicated drops (eg. Psycho Stabber) and mayhem drops (as long as the player is on the appropriate mayhem level). Takedown/DLC/Event gear is not included.
- Rogue Lite: Takes away the ability to move in FFYL and death is permanent until all players die. Once every player is dead, they respawn at the initial fast travel where they entered the map and all loot is wiped from the map (but some can still be obtained from Lost Loot). Enemies drop extra health and shield boosters when they die. In multiplayer, you can respawn if your friend accesses a vending machine at the cost of half your money (doing this will make you respawn at the nearest New-U station). Players earn +1000% XP, eridium, and money.
Just a note, each category would still have 6 modifiers if you couldn’t keep track of the changes.