Ripley's Interactive Story (Season Two: Season Finale!)

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #1

WELCOME TO “RIPLEY’S INTERACTIVE STORIES”

The aim of this topic is really quite simple. I’ve decided to write out a story-line that, over the course of five or so parts, tells a complete story, but the twist is that it’s interactive. You get to choose how the story is shaped and how it turns out – like a video game. I’ve likened this topic as a “Tales from the Battleborn” type story.

If you’re new here, check below for SEASON ONE: GALILEA’S SECRET ADMIRER or jump forward to the latest season, SEASON TWO: BEATRIX AND THE BEAST OF TEMPEST.

“Who is Galilea’s Secret Admirer?”

The last thing angry, self-loathing Galilea wants are love letters — and that’s exactly what she keeps getting. Love letters. Love letters, soppy holo-drama recommendations and weird gifts. She’d be lying if she wasn’t flattered, however — but this is Galilea we’re talking about! Galilea needs to find someone who will help her track down this secret admirer so she can stop blushing once and for all!

————————————————————————————————————

Part One: Prologue.
Galilea’s room. Nova.

Galilea pulls a piece of paper from underneath her door and immediately throws it into the trashcan. She knew what it was, a yet another holo-soap recommendation that she would never watch. But curiosity gets the better of her and she takes a quick glance at the recommendation, which reads ‘MY GIRLFRIEND IS A VARELSI’.

Galilea had no notion watching it and wish whoever was sending her these recommendations would just stop. At least it wasn’t another bouquet of flowers. She hates flowers, especially considering they make her sneeze and make her eyes all puffy and red.

She pops back onto bed and goes back to sleep… for all about a minute, if that. She looks over at the trashcan. What if the recommendation is actually, you know, good, like the other twenty other holo-dramas? It was pretty apparent whoever was sending these recommendations had a surprisingly good taste in all things soppy. Galilea twists on her bed onto the other side, towards the wall and closes her eyes… but she can’t… she just can’t let it go… she goes over to the trashcan, picks it up, opens her door (where a bouquet of flowers leans against it) and puts it outside.

Afterward, Galilea closes the door and leans against it with a contented sigh. Maybe she can get some extra sleep now. She lies on her bed again and closes her eyes with a small smile on her — but wouldn’t you know, Galilea opens her eyes yet again.

She goes over to the door, takes the recommendation out of the trashcan and notices another piece of paper is stapled to the flowers. She plucks it off and reads the love letter, which was written in fancy writing and thick black ink (and yes, there are clues in this letter):

“HELLO MY LOVE, HERE IS ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION I CAME ACROSS. I NOTICED YOU LOOKED AWFULLY UPSET YESTERDAY SO I THOUGHT THIS WOULD CHEER YOU UP. I LIKE TO IMAGINE YOU AND I WATCHING THIS, CUDDLED UP IN EACH OTHER’S ARMS. I LIKE TO THINK I’M THE VARELSI IN THIS RELATIONSHIP OF OURS. I THINK YOU WILL LIKE THIS TOO. CHECK IT OUT.

LOVE YOU,

SIGNED,

***YOUR SECRET ADMIRER <3”***

Galilea looks at it for a moment and not one to let a silly letter stop her from getting any extra sleep, decides to type the recommended holo-drama into her console.

She angerily watches the opening credits.

She sits, arms folded over her armor, and frowns.

Galiliea was not letting the emotionally manipulative music open her cold, purple(?) heart, for Galilea was hellbent on not liking one… single… two hours later, Galiliea is in tears. That wasn’t just one of the most beautiful, deeply romantic shows she had ever watched… but perhaps the best recommendation this stranger had given her. She hated every bit of it, of course, but it did make her feel, perhaps for the first time in mere months, good about herself.

Galilea knew she had to get to the bottom of this, to find out who was sending these (good/romantic/really cute) recommendations and love letters and gifts and the flowers she couldn’t smell but, man, she adored the colors of them!

She knew a couple of people who could take the evidence she had and find out who is doing this. But she didn’t know who would be best suited for this sort of thing… could you help Galilea decide?

• Choice one: ISIC. Galilea takes the evidence to ISIC who is a self-confessed ‘blood poet’ whatever the f*** that is. If voted, ISIC becomes Galilea’s personal detective and will help her find out who is sending these gifts. Whether he kills them or not is, you know… debatable?
  • Choice Two: OSCAR MIKE: Galilea takes the evidence to Oscar Mike who is really intent on helping her out. He may say it’s because she’s a fellow UPR but in reality it’s because he’s wracked with soul-crushing loneliness and eternal despair. He promises to be stealthy and discreet, both traits he does not have. Can Galilea really trust Oscar Mike to find out who is sending these gifts?
  • Choice Three: SHAYNE AND AUROX: Shayne and Aurox could help Galilea find out who is sending these gifts, that is if they can agree on things like whether or not to trademark their “Team Detectives” name. They need a break, and this could be it. Aurox disagrees and says this is a case that could go over her head.
  • Choice Four: BEATRIX: Yes, there is a choice to get Galilea to go to Beatrix, the self-confessed ‘love doctor’, to head the investigation. Vote for this if you want this seemingly innocent story to go full-on Twin Peaks.
  • Choice Five: BOLDUR: Ha! Boldur knows love! If love is hitting things with axe, then he definitely knows it, ha haa! Boldur will help Galilea find out who is sending these creepy gifts to her, even if he seems to have completely missed the point of the whole thing.

0 voters

DEADLINE: Votes end on Saturday 8th/Sunday 9th?. Any vote after that are invalid.

VOTING: One vote only. HOWEVER, multiple choices will be available later on.
– If there is a tiebreak, BOTH options go, including this one.
– If one choice is overwhelming, then the deadline won’t matter. I’ll write the next part of the story. Deadlines are just to give the post and this topic time.

REMEMBER: Your choice will have a profound impact on the ongoing story. Telltales say this and somehow nothing actually changes. But trust me that this story WILL change.

LENGTH: They won’t get any longer than this. Some posts will be short; it all depends on where the choice is.

FEEDBACK: I need feedback. Do you like it, do you think I’m hella rad, etc.

NEXT TIME’S STORYLINE:
Galilea gives the evidence to [blank] as they sort through the love letters, gifts etc as they try to find clues from them. Will they succeed? Who knows.

(Science triumphs!) #2

Yes. Now, where is my free candy?

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #3

Did you vote? Those who vote get candy.

(Science triumphs!) #4

I sure did.

(Not-Toby) #5

spits out a candy and gives it back
This one’s raspberry, I don’t like raspberry. Can I ger orange one?

(A euclid-class anomaly) #6

While banging her fists on the table and knocking off a bottle of questionable contents.

ISIC! ISIC! ISIC!

Promptly passes out.

P.s this is a cool idea and I like your writing.

(Penguin connoisseur.) #7

Very nice, @Ripley!

(Orendi's Best Buddy) #8

Voted Shayne and Aurox, kind of hoping for ISIC or Mike.

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #9

Well folks, the votes are in and boy was it close. It looked liked for a while ISIC, the self-confessed ‘blood poet’ (whatever the **** that is) and Shayne and Aurox, Maybe Team Detectives, were going to team-up.

Here are the votes:

Shayne and Aurox: 50%
ISIC: 40%
Oscar Mike: 10%

Beatrix and Boulder both got 0%. Thanks for voting. Now, onto the next portion of the story! Yay!

Beware: today’s post is pretty long. Sorry about that!

Who is Galilea’s Secret Admirer: Part Two

Part Two: The Djinn is in the Details
Shayne and Aurox’s Room. Nova

When you needed things done, and done right of course, you went to the only detectives in, well, maybe not town, but definitely somewhere on the ship. Shayne and Aurox prided themselves, post-Heliophage, as Team Detectives; two hard-working individuals, who, as of present, had helped a couple of people with problems; there was Reyna and her missing eye-piece, the disappearance of Pendles, Toby’s traumatic experience when his nest-partner broke-up with him, to which Toby vowed revenge (Shayne and Aurox, fellow Rogues, had to tell Toby they were detectives, NOT HITMEN) and probably their most famous case of all… actually, they haven’t had a famous case before. Still, between missions and whatnot, Shayne and Aurox liked to stay in their room-slash-office and, since good things come to those who wait, they stayed put, hoping for somebody to come through the door.

So when you needed things done, you went to them. Galilea was at the end of her leash and needed to find out who was sending her these strange recommendations, these lengthy love-letters, the weird gifts like a room freshener and for reasons Galilea will never quite understand, a live Blissbug. Galilea took her shield wherever she went, not just for protection but, somewhere in the back of her mind, she thought if she ran into anybody remotely creepy (as creepy = her stalker, at least in her mentality) she could bash them in the face. This had already happened previously with Alani, when Alani came to her room with freshly baked sea-cookies. Alani, suffice it to say, has never spoken to Galilea since.

Galilea, heavy bag in one hand, shield in the other, stands in front of Shayne and Aurox’s door. Inside, she can hear them squabbling and engaged in bitter words. First, she tried to knock, but she didn’t know what hand to use. She knocks the door with her shield and proceeds to enter inside.

“Dis-a-greeee!” Aurox groans as the pair play Scrabble.
“Dude, ‘nanoelectromechanical’ is a word. Okay?” Shayne says as she lies on her stomach. Aurox wasn’t having any of it.
“Lies, child —“
Galiliea clears her throat. “Excuse me.”
“Dude, Reyna uses it all the time.”
“Dis-a-greee!”
“Excuse me!”
“You gotta think outside the box, Aurox.”
“I AM OUTSIDE THE BOX”
“Salutations!” Galilea yells loud enough to get their attention.
The moment they notice they have a potential client in the room, the pair sit up.
“Shayne and Aurox—”
“I know who you are. My name is Galilea. We have fought in many battles together.”
“Yeah, we—”
“There was that one time in Bliss. In the battle simulations. When the two of us paired… three of us?… paired up to battle the Thrall in Attikus and his—”
“We know who you are.” Shayne says before the list went on. Galilea gives a sharp nod and stands there, nervous, anxious… not entirely sure what to do next.
“Well?” Shayne says, her eyes on the bag.
“Well…” Galilea starts, her shoulders out, back straight… “I have a job for you and I must admit, I’m not very comfortable with it. I believe, though I cannot quite support the idea, that I have a stalker.”

Two things went through their minds: one, money. They needed new furniture, new digs, maybe even a bigger apartment. Maybe wrangle poor Kleese out of that penthouse of his and move in. On Aurox’s mind… nothing. Oh, and two: nothing. Seriously, they needed money bad.

“What’s in the bag?” Shayne says after looking over at Aurox.
“I have collected evidence from the mystery individual.” Galilea says stiltedly and proceeds to pour a holy-■■■■-that-is-a-lot-of-stuff onto the floor. Shayne and Aurox stare at the small mound of letters, the gifts and together, in unison, turn to Galilea.
“Can you help?” She says.
“Well, Aurox, do you think we can help the girl?” Shayne says as she looks over at him.
"Woman."
Aurox smiles: “Let us begin”.

Sifting through the love-letters was a bit of a task, but once they put them into date, it became a little easier. Having separated the love-letters from the recommendations, the pair decided to go through them one-by-one. Galilea wasn’t used to sitting legs crossed on the floor like a mere child, so she awkwardly leaned against the wall even though there was a perfectly good chair in the room. Shayne sifted through the love-letters, glancing at them. She shows Aurox a few, which got a few sounds from the beast.

When asked how long it’s been going on, Galilea replied: “Two months.” A moment later, Galilea perked up: “Find anything?”

Shayne nods with a great big smile on her face.
“We’ve got a few interesting ones, don’t we, Aurox?”
“Indeed.”
“Here, sit. Out of them all, there are a couple we found interesting…"

[RECOMMENDATION]
“RECOMMENDATON: “REAL HOUSEWIVES OF SOLUS”

[LETTER ONE]
“HI MY LOVE, I WAS THINKING ABOUT YOU AND I WISH WE COULD BE TOGETHER. WHENEVER I SEE YOU IN THE HALLS, OR IN BATTLE, I WISH I COULD JUST HUG YOU AND SEE YOU SMILE. YOU MAKE ME SMILE. MAYBE ONE DAY I’LL HAVE THE COURAGE TO SAY HELLO, BUT RIGHT NOW, I MUST CONTENT MYSELF WITH BEING IN THE SHADOWS.”

[LETTER TWO]
“I HEARD YOU WERE SICK, ARE YOU OKAY? I’VE STAPLED A RECIPE FOR A MEDICINE THAT WILL HELP YOU.”

and of course

[LETTER THREE]
“HELLO MY LOVE, HERE IS ANOTHER RECOMMENDATION I CAME ACROSS. I NOTICED YOU LOOKED AWFULLY UPSET YESTERDAY SO I THOUGHT THIS WOULD CHEER YOU UP. I LIKE TO IMAGINE YOU AND I WATCHING THIS, CUDDLED UP IN EACH OTHER’S ARMS. I LIKE TO THINK I’M THE VARELSI IN THIS RELATIONSHIP OF OURS. I THINK YOU WILL LIKE THIS TOO. CHECK IT OUT.”

Galilea looked at the recommendations and then to Shayne and Aurox. She didn’t quite get it… but they did.

“I don’t see the connection” Galilea says.
“Dude… okay, first of all, whoever this is, they really care about you.”
“Ca-aaa-rreee!” Aurox interjects for absolutely no reason.
“Yes. Right. Well, anyway, look at these…”

[LETTER ONE]
“MAYBE ONE DAY I’LL HAVE THE COURAGE”
“I MUST CONTENT MYSELF WITH BEING IN THE SHADOWS”

[LETTER TWO]
“I STAPLED A RECIPLE FOR MEDICINE THAT WILL HELP YOU”

[LETTER THREE]
“I NOTICED YOU LOOKED AWFULLY UPSET YESTERDAY”
“I LIKE TO THINK I’M THE VARELSI IN THIS RELATIONSHIP”

[RECOMMENDATION]
“REAL HOUSEWIVES OF SOLUS?!

Galiea looks at these clues…
“Shadows? Someone who keeps out of sight. That recipe is an Eldrid recipe. I’ve seen it in Miko’s room. ‘Awfully upset’?” Shayne says, her tone quiet…
Galilea still doesn’t see it… or maybe she does…
“I like to think I’m the Varelsi in this relationship? Doesn’t that strike you as odd?”

Galilea nods.
“We’re either working with an Eldrid, someone stealthy… or something else. We narrow it down from there, we might be able to see who is sending you these things. Oh, and the gifts? Not cheap. Someone has a lot of money tucked away, money they’d rather spend on you.”

From these three clues - Stealth, Eldrid and Money - can you decide what lead they should go with first?

• Choice One: Money. Someone has the money to buy all these gifts and the LLC are most likely to have that amount of cash lying around. If you choose this, Gali and S&A will follow the money and, hopefully lead them to whoever is buying these gifts.
  • Choice Two: Stealth. It’s a bit of a shot in the dark, but S&A believe whoever is sending these gifts operate within the shadows. It’s a bit of a gamble, and the evidence to support this is limited, but if you decide this is the option, they’ll seek out those who have stealth.
  • Choice Three: Eldrid. The medicine recipe stapled to the back of the letter is Eldrid. This means whoever is sending these letters could potentially be an Eldrid. Could this be our lead?
  • Choice Four: No Confidence. It’s clear whoever is sending these love-letters have no confidence or see themselves in a negative light (“I’m the varelisi in this relationship” for example). This narrows it down a bit, so if this is the choice you want to go in, they’ll go searching for people who haven’t any courage.
  • Choice Five: More Evidence. You believe the evidence supplied isn’t enough, and to make sure you’re being thorough, you want to find more evidence before you make up your mind on what lead they should follow.

0 voters

TIE-BREAK: If there is a tie-break, both options will go forward.

DEADLINE: Monday 10th, but if the vote is overwhelming I’ll just jump on ahead anyway.

NEXT TIME’S STORYLINE
Galilea and S&A follow the clues, depending on what choice is picked. The clues lead them to a handful of suspects…

(Penguin connoisseur.) #10

I really like the amount of thought and effort you put into this story!

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #11

Thank you, Cam! It’s been fun looking at the votes and seeing where people want to take the story.

(Penguin connoisseur.) #12

Yes, it’s all fun and games until they make choices that result in you killing off your favorite charcter in the RP story thread…

I’m sorry; went on a trip there…

Sniff.

Bastards… :cry:

(Meme Crusader) #13

More like psychotic episode.

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #14

Previously on the votes…

Stealth: 50%
More Evidence: 25%
Money 25%

Now onto today’s short post. For those who are following along, thank you!

Who is Galilea’s Secret Admirer: Part Three

Part Three: A Shot in the Dark
Shayne and Aurox’s Room. Nova

The three of them agreed that, at least for now, stealth may be an option, but that seemed to leave them with even more questions. It wasn’t that Galilea was an attractive individual… she was. In a fierce, warrior way, but who would be sending these gifts and items and considered themselves a person who lived “in the shadows”? Shayne and Aurox had a lot riding on this one. They really wanted this whole detective thing to work out. Actually, that’s a lie, Shayne really wanted to be rich and mirrored herself off the famous holo-drama detective “Kingfisher Gray” who was suave, hip and was surprisingly racist towards fish. Kingfisher was what Shayne wanted to be like, minus the racism as that was just, like, totally wrong.

Shayne looked at the evidence, but being “stealth” was a very flimsy lead indeed. The evidence suggesting that whoever was doing this was a person of stealth was absurd. But she had a hunch, and if Kingfisher Gray taught her anything, it’s that hunches equal leads (of course his plots were really predictable, unlike this one. The girlfriend was murdered by a jealous boyfriend? Who would have known!). And that was something they, neither of them, had at the moment. Leads. Concrete evidence. Money. Food, come to think of it…

“I think we should narrow down the list”, Shayne says after finally observing the evidence one more time. Aurox and Galilea agreed. Shayne fetched a piece of paper and searched a drawer underneath her bed for a pen and got ready.

“If the person we think is sending these leads is in anyway ‘living in the shadows’, then we need to figure out who exactly ‘lives in the shadows’ —“
“Bats”. Aurox pipes up.
“Oh, okay… Bats…"
“Bats live in the shadows.”
“Right. But I meant, within Nova. Us.”
There was silence, then Galilea piped up. “Varelsi” she says with a definite nod as if that was the solution to their question.
“No”, Shayne says. “People, do. Look,” Shayne sighs, “whoever is sending these letters don’t feel confident enough to be seen. Right? So who is stealthy? Oscar, Deande…”
“Why would Deande send me love letters? That’s absurd!” Galiea says with an amusing scoff.
“Maybe, but what if…? Why don’t we write down a list of people we think ‘living in the shadows’ relates to and go from there?”
Aurox and Galilea agree and the three decide to list people who they thought could fit this description. When it’s all done, they look at the list.
“Well, now that we have a list,” Shayne says, “we need to start with one. Who should we start with?”

The three look at the list… can you decide which Battleborn they should start their investigation with?

The evidence gathered so far is as follows:
– Whoever is sending these gifts is loaded and is most likely a person with wealth.
– They are stealthy, live in the shadows or perhaps they are shy.
– They have no confidence in themselves and see themselves in a negative light.
– Romantic, perhaps hopelessly so. A bit of a dreamer, going off the letters.
– Knowledge of Eldrid culture, going off the medicine recipe they found.
– There’s a show called “Real Housewives of Solus”?

Take these into consideration. The choice may be to pursue the stealth angle (as it’s believed whoever is sending these gifts have stealth, which would explain why they are never seen), but the other choices also come into play. Take a look at the choices below and cross-reference; who fits the bill more? You decide.

The following poll is multiple-choice.

• Choice One: OSCAR MIKE. Choose this option if you think Oscar Mike could be sending these love letters.
  • Choice Two: DEANDE. Could it be that Whiskey and Deande are Swingers and looking for a third wheel to spice up their relationship? Maybe. If you think Deande might be sending these love letters, choose this option.
  • Choice Three: PENDLES. Out of them all, Pendles is a shadowy character, and stealthy, and sort of fits the bill. If you feel Pendles is behind these love letters and want Shayne and Aurox to pursue this lead, click this, yo.
  • Choice Four: RENDAIN. Uh… sure… if you think Rendain (who, by all accounts is stealthy, a shadowy character oh and ALSO VERY MUCH DEAD) is the person responsible for the love-letters (and make my life hard), choose this weird choice. However, it does explain the “Varelsi in this relationship” part. Hmmmm.
  • Choice Five: AMBRA. Sure, Ambra is a bit of a villain. She’s hot-headed, feisty, maybe menopausal, but definitely a shadowy character if there is any.
  • Choice Six: KLEESE. Kleese isn’t shadowy or stealthy, but he is LLC and it WOULD explain why there’s so many gifts. If you think this is a lead you would like our protagonists to go after, choose this one.
  • Choice Seven: BEATRIX. Beatrix is one shadowy minx, and could potentially be luring Galilea to her death via examination, postmortem. But you never know, Beatrix may be looking for some love.
  • Choice Eight: DIFFERENT CHOICE. You feel like “stealth” isn’t good enough and want to take a step back. You maybe want to take this in a different direction, like pursuing the medicine angle. Choose this if you think so.

0 voters

Have fun. Again, if it’s a tie-break, both options will go forward. Deadline? Eh, whenever.

(The First, and the Last.) #15

Even if it’s confirmed otherwise, I will always ship Ambrilea. (Ahm-brill-ayy-ah. Added that because it’s spelled like, really weirdly)

Not a great ship name, but it’s the best I’ve got.

(Outta likes. take this for now :heart: )

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #16

Who knows, maybe Ambrilea (a better ship name that Galiambra which sounds… clinical) will have their debut in this story? :wink:

(A euclid-class anomaly) #17

Honestly Ambrilea sounds like a brand name for cookies. Not like, regular chocolate chip cookies, fancy short bread ones with a faux European marketing angle.

Also take a metaphorical double like from me to make up for Linear.

(The First, and the Last.) #18

DON’T DO THAT.

DON’T MOCK MY LACK OF LIKES.
I did get some more though, so MORE LIKES!

(Gt: YaCantDutchThis) #19

Wow I’m alive. Anyways! I really like this story, and being able to choose is always fun! At the same time, it’s horrible because people have different opinions… (DAMMIT WHY ISN’T ISIC THE DETECTIVE!!!) But I really can’t wait for the next part. Wondering who they’re gonna question…

(Flyux & Alani Enthusiast 💙) #20

I agree that it’s a tough choice, when you want that one option and others disagree (I really thought Beatrix would make a good detective). But that’s the fun of it, and I’m thinking at the end of this story of writing down what the other choices would have been like - think of it as alternative endings, and this is the true ending of the story. :slight_smile: