Running an API-driven Community Event for Battleborn

(lowlines - PS4) #1

Hey folks!
I finally got round to doing a writeup of the Battleborn Day - 2nd Anniversary event that a group of us organized back in May 2018. It’s a long and very detailed article that has taken me all year to get round to writing. There are also some code excerpts if you wanted to get a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes to manage a big event like the Loot Hunt!

Would love to do something like this for Borderlands at some point, but I need to spend a bit of time putting together the resources I’d need to run it, especially considering localization is an important part of what I do these days!

If folks have any questions or feedback, feel free to leave a comment.

(Penguin connoisseur.) #2

Just want to say thanks again for letting me include my lore quiz as part of the festivities. I had a ton of fun setting it up, and was beyond happy with the turnout. I can’t get enough of this community, even if it’s sadly been less active lately. :heart:

(lowlines - PS4) #3

I’m hopeful that when Gearbox finally releases their next big game that I’ll have opportunities to catch up with folks from the Battleborn community again. :slight_smile:

(Is this thing on?) #4

Funnily enough, there’s a group discussing rules for another BL2 loot hunt right now!

(Dr Ivan Radosivic) #5

this is a good idea and it would help Battleborn out more. With Weekly Community Party ups to drum up interest as a good lead in for the Anniversary Event for the game. Plus the Borderlands Hunt events will also be good for Borderlands.

(lowlines - PS4) #6

While i am totally down with more anniversary type events for Battleborn, running events like this too often would just burn people out and it loses that specialness of being an annual thing.

I don’t think anyone really knows how to realistically help the Battleborn community. :confused:

(MentalMars) #7

True.
BBDay4 (the 2nd Anniversary) took us a lot of time to create. It’s more than just say; “let’s do a thing”, and everyone will show up. There goes a lot of time into concepting and planning an event. Then there is the development time. While Lowlines is an experienced web designer there is still a lot of research and development time that went into this. This goes beyond what you see in Lowlines blog. Personally, I also spend a lot of my free time on this project. Help out with concepting the various elements, design, social media marketing, communicating with GBX, 2K Games and streamers, stress test Lowlines’systems, and more… While Battleborn Day was a great event and definitely something I’m proud of, I know we also needed a break. Early concepts started in November/December I think, We “loosely” worked on it during Jan/Febr. The vision of the projects became more clear leading up to the event. The last month and a half before the event was crunch time. Every day all of my spare time went into the project because things needed to be arranged or created.

Elon Musk needs to put down a few million, pay GBX to create Battleborn 1.5, pay players to play, and 2K Games should spend a lot more on aggressive marketing.

But all jokes aside; GBX did a LOT to improve and expand the game. They really tried, sadly the negative stigma remained and they couldn’t recover from that. Maybe if 2K Games would have marketed the game a bit more during those pushes by GBX it could have had a bigger impact. But there is something like “Return of Investment” and it’s still an entertainment business. When Battleborn went F2P we did see a big push by 2K, but it was short. This was probably due to the fact not a lot of players were jumping onboard. When Evolve went F2P it did see a bigger spike of players.

2K Games marketing team (I don’t know if GBX was involved with this) came up with the term “Hero Shooter”. At first, people looked weird at it, now it’s the term for the genre. It became a crowded genre really quick and many games have fallen victim to that.

Thanks for stepping up Toby! :wink: We loved having you on the team :heart:

(lowlines - PS4) #8

And that he did! Mentalmars had boosted his loot hunt score so high I had to nerf the random drop button!

(Dr Ivan Radosivic) #9

we need content creators and streamers to do a few videos on Battleborn. Killer Six did, we need to promote the game.

(Dr Ivan Radosivic) #10

I wish for the Community Party ups to be used to increase the playerbase, while the Week long Special the Battleborn Anniversary is going to be special thanks to community challenges and new titles andthe like.

we need more players first, then return of investment will happen as well as new Seasons of content.

(Brute 912) #11

@DrIvanRadosivic Like Nova in her mech suit. :wink:

(Brute 912) #12

I want another art contest! Maybe the next one would be draw your own hero or villian! Or both! :slight_smile:

(Dr Ivan Radosivic) #13

yes, that could be a option to get in new seasons of content, a Nova in robot Body, obviously LLC and maybe a support, which in Battleborn terms is a combat medic class.

As for art contests, I have an idea for a Mad Scientist Sci Fi version of my Hero OC, so that can work.

We can also get cross promotions with Paladins and Team Fortress 2, as well as some of the classes from Team Fortress 2 like the Scout for a Hero in Battleborn.

(Brute 912) #14

@DrIvanRadosivic I got a feeling that we will end up getting a UPR healer that’s a brawler named Dr. Fist in the future someday. I hope that day comes soon. I don’t know if it’s gonna appear in season 2 or later. I’m still wondering if Dr. Fist would be a defender or support class or just another Boss fight for the UPR.