Self-imposed challenges to spice it up a bit?

(Guajiro Pandoreño) #61

I am actively looking for a challenge that’s independent of gear, character, and level. These usually wind up being odd combat challenges, but I like them because they’re available to a much broader audience, and if they’re truly challenging yet independent of those variables above, they allow for a lot of creativity. I think @pokapoka had one where the challenge was to kill a raid boss over the longest duration, as in, people were sitting in the ring with these guys for like ten minutes. Arguably, this is harder than blasting them with some broken weapon mechanic before they’re even aware enough to attack, but I thought that was interesting either way.

King of the Hill challenges keep coming to mind as they fit this bill, so I’ll post one of my favorites. Any character, any level, any gear (restrict them as you see fit if you think you’ve got the onions) - fast travel to Highlands: Hyperion Bridge and run down the little rock ridge straight to the platform shown below. Do not stop to kill anything (though for bonus points, you can take a long route around to stir up extra enemies) until you get to that little platform. There, the challenge is to survive whatever Threshers come at you without leaving the platform until they’re all dead, or you are. That’s it, simple (though being pulled off by Rift Threshers is a thing, so heads up). :wink: Or rolling a UBA Pyre Thresher… no shortage of potential danger. It’s just a bunch of Threshers, right? I want video, but I’ll settle for pics or at least a story of your character, loadout, build, spawns, etc.

Remember - if you ever touch the ground after starting, challenge failed.

Heh, in the low level challenge people were taking Jack on in low twenties. I never knew about the spot either but I think it’s on the west side of the arena behind some boxes. Check out Nat’s fight against Jack to see it in action.

EDIT: Reading a bit further I see you found it already. Congratulations on the challenge.

(Avaricious Old Skeleton) #63

Bit of an update regarding Krieg Klaus and his current inventory. He’s level 16, almost 17, just been and got a Heartbreaker, which prompted a bit of a reshuffle in his equipped gear.

Slot 1: Gromky Droog (Corrosive) VLADOF
Slot 2: Miss Moxxi’s Heartbreaker HYPERION
Slot 3: Fine Law JAKOBS
Slot 4: Miss Moxxi’s Good Touch MALIWAN

Shield: Turtle Shield PANGOLIN
Class Mod: Rage Meat BANDIT
Grenade: Longbow MIRV TORGUE
Relic: Strength Relic ERIDIAN

His next story mission is the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve.

(Meat Bicycle World Champion!) #64

@jce3000gt - back with more annoying questions! Is it ok to use mission specific weapons to advance said mission chain? Specifically I’m talking of Clan War and the burning the huts - no fire weapon means no chance to farm a Maggie.

I could always do the Scarlett DLC to grab the Greed if need be! :wink:

No worries mate, ask away! Yea if you use the specific weapon for that mission only I think you’re asking? I had planned on using a fire weapon to light the volleyball net on fire in The Dust but couldn’t find one. I got lucky for The Tundra to light Varkids on fire using the fire melon plant trick. LOL Much less annoying anyway.

So yes. Feel free to use that mission weapon for the Clan War huts.

(Avaricious Old Skeleton) #66

I just turn on the incinerator and walk away from it :smiley:

That’s no fun! LOL

(Meat Bicycle World Champion!) #68

Picked up some upgrades before going to the WEP. I can happily confirm I am not a member of the Stink Pot cult. That thing SUCKS! :smiley:

(Avaricious Old Skeleton) #69

It’s good, honest…

(Meat Bicycle World Champion!) #70

Meh! My Orphan Maker was a beast! Trying to farm a Striker now as well! :smiley:

(Avaricious Old Skeleton) #71

I sense a Stinkpot challenge coming… :wink:

(Guajiro Pandoreño) #72

I’m listening… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Meat Bicycle World Champion!) #73

Have to be UVHM only but how about a Stinkzerker? :smiley:

(Guajiro Pandoreño) #74

Salvador… I’ve never considered him with this gun. I’m under the impression that he’s rough with Jakobs weapons (outside the scope of a Money Shot sniper build, which I do frequent on the rare occasion that I play him), but all his fire-rate buffs are… wasted with Jakobs gear? I think they lower the time allowed between trigger pulls, so you can at least try to fire faster.

I’m looking at something like this with him. The main things I look for enhancing with this gun are reload speeds and mag size (and Come At Me Bro is super fun).
http://bl2skills.com/gunzerker.html#500551500510550013000035425105001

So now that I’m done with the Farmer challenge and learned a few gameplay modding tricks I’m debating on a new challenge…one that will be quite insane.

I’m debating between one of these two:

The No Enemy Experience Challenge

or

The I Like Pain Challenge (but modified from my first post)

So what I would do in the “No Enemy EXP” challenge is to remove all experience from regular non-badass & non-boss enemies and only allow EXP for quest rewards & badass/boss enemies. Thus prioritizing missions badasses/bosses versus pure grinding. I would tweak some basic gameplay stuff like drop rates and stuff but would leave the game largely default.

The I like Pain challenge is something I may have to test since I’m designing and incorporating lots of gameplay changes. I’m probably leaning towards the I Like Pain challenge because what I have planned sounds fun.

(Jerk of all toons, master of none.) #76

I’m not in the market for excessive frustration (the only challenge I accepted was the low level NVHM challenge [which bears a resemblance to your "No Enemy EXP challenge], and I’ve yet to complete it. Poor Mayasochism in a Bloodwing imposed limbo.), but I enjoy hearing about the experiences folks here have while running them. I don’t know if you missed it, but

, while interesting, has recently made it onto the “forbidden topics” list here in the forums, and all discussions of mods (The UCP and beyond) has been closed by the powers that be and the mods. Not that I’m particularly against such things, but I thought you might like to know before you begin including it in your challenges, which I find fascinating and thoroughly enjoy reading about.

(Avaricious Old Skeleton) #77

I am, and I for one am glad it isn’t allowed anymore.

(Jerk of all toons, master of none.) #78

I’m just trying to avoid vigorous debate. Even if I was on PC I wouldn’t use it, but if people only muck about with their own game I won’t disparage them out of hand. It’s an opinion somewhat akin to “I don’t eat pork, but it’s okay to sell bacon for those who do.”

(Avaricious Old Skeleton) #79

Yeah, I wasn’t aiming any kind of dig at you for that comment haha I was just stating my view :slight_smile:

(Jerk of all toons, master of none.) #80

It’s all good, I didn’t really think you were. I’m always looking for the best/clearest comparison, and they always pop up when I don’t really need them anymore. You just gave me a good place for it. :grinning: