Shane, hardest character to design

(wisecarver) #1

From the Discord AMA with the Devs yesterday:

Kaleidodemon:
Multipart question: Who was the hardest character to design? Who was the hardest character to balance?

Jythri:
@Kaleidodemon Hardest character to design? Hmm. Probably Shayne & Aurox. It’s two characters that detach from one another and then re-attach. Our producer was pretty certain S&A was going to get cut for technical reasons. We’re delighted we got them in.

(Ambra's Arbiter) #2

It was very interesting to know. Almost as much as finding out that Caldarius made them rethink their design of everything.

(wisecarver) #3

Indeed, I kept thinking about the choppers in BL2 and how everyone was asking for Player controls.
But, that mobility would wreck the game :wink:

(Aurox, omnidimensional horror) #4

I thought oscar mike influenced the whole design and feel of battleborn

(Ambra's Arbiter) #5

Idk about that, but they said that his mobility made them reevaluate almost every aspect of their design. But somehow I don’t feel like OM would’ve been the basis for the game. I’m probably wrong though and there’s a quote somewhere.

(Aurox, omnidimensional horror) #6

Yeah I messed up, oscar influenced the tone of battleborn and looks, originally battleborn was going to be serious, I just read the thing in caldarius so I understand about that now, I think they hinted kleese nerfs with saying 5 kleese would be a nightmare though :grinning:

(Ambra's Arbiter) #7

That’s kinda funny. It seems like all the games Gearbox has really taken on end up a bit cartoonish, that’s just what they’re best at.

(Aurox, omnidimensional horror) #8

Thank God for that, too many games that need to be as serious as possible this gaming generation

(Ambra's Arbiter) #9

I don’t understand why people play games to see more realism and killing and stress. If I wanted any of those, I could turn on the news.

(Aurox, omnidimensional horror) #10

Well metal gear solid is awesome and hitman too, but while the story is serious, the games, especially metal gear, make fun of themselves (like the most important stealth item, the cardboard box)