Shard Gen + 2 Gears or 3 Gears?

I literally do not have a single gear Loadout without a free or cheap shard generator in it, accompanied by either 2 Legendaries, 2 purples, or a blue and a purple.

Am I doing my characters a disservice?

I LOVE buying FatBots and buildables!

Thanks in advance.

That’s a damn good question. I wonder if the answer depends more on the role you’re playing or if you can trust your team to pick up the buildables slack?

1 Like

since you are doing PVP i would say the legendaries are more of a hindrance then the shard generator if you are wanting to go competitive with your play.

1 Like

I used to play shard gen with 2 legendaries, but now I play without legendaries and mostly use 0 cost health regen or cooldown gear, depending on the character, coupled with 2 blue/purple pieces. I only run shard gen on healer/support because you can’t go for shard runs as often.

2 Likes

It’s an even better question, if you take into account the rebalanced legendary activation costs.
Two legendaries + shard gen used to be a 3.6k Loadout. Now you can get that price down to about 2.8k, around 2.5k if you’re using an epic + one legendary.

I do that alot, but there are some characters on which I avoid the shard gen. In most cases it’s because I have to cover too many stats.

Example

This is a loadout I built for Mellka, played it in Bots Battle yesterday for testing.
The low shard cost plus the ability to traverse the map quickly eliminated the need for a shard gen. The low total cost (albeit only working on an Eldrid char) allowed me to still spend some shards on buildables.

View on lowlidev.com.au

View on lowlidev.com.au

View on lowlidev.com.au

On the other hand, I tend to built all my ‘normal’ Loadouts like this: Shard Gen + Rare/Epic + Legendary/Epic

1 Like

Most of my loadouts are Blue/Blue/Legendary or Purple/Purple/Legendary or Green/Green/Legendary. See a pattern?

For PvP I run a free wrench, shard generator, with the third a white flawed for the role. For PvE I used to run 2 purples/legendaries with a shard generator to get them out quick without being a shard hog, however since most PvE has become either solo or 2-3 people I have gone to 3 legendaries.

Yup! Not answering questions. What about the shard geny?

Always use a Shard Gen in Meltdown where Economy is important.

Always use a Shard Gen on Support so you won’t have to leave lane for shards often or at all.

Use a Shard Gen on characters that need to level up quickly in order to build things, lots of things. If needed take a wrench as well.

Don’t use a Shard Gen if you’re the Carry.
Sometimes as a Tank you shouldn’t use a Shard Gen.

Use a Shard Gen on Monuments,shards are a bitch to get there.

Use a Shard Gen if you’re planning on using 2 Leggies.

4 Likes

Ow. I was responding to another guy, but it looks like I didn’t correctly reply, whoops.

Anyways, three gears. Shard gen and legendary for funsies sometimes, like stupid loadouts, but not something OP or broken.

I think it depends on you as a player. For me, in PvE I’ve moved past shard generators. I know the levels well enough to know to take a heavy or low cost loadouts and where all the shards are, so therefore I can both build and get gear up without a shard generator, even on Experiment. For PvP, I’m not a strong player, so therefore I will contribute much more to the team by building and buying fatbots then I will by getting a strong legendary up. That strong legendary won’t make up for my lack of skill difference 1 v 1, whereas a series of buildables or fatbots can keep my team in a match for longer. However, for the better players, they are better getting that little bit more by using gear to ■■■■■■■■■■ their already strong play and pushing them past other skilled players, so I’d say the shard gens are a wasted slot for them sometimes.

1 Like