Shield Parts Guide: An Analysis of Adaptive Shields

Oh ■■■■ I forgot the sham was the absorb shield I’m thinking of the shooting star is that able to spawn with high capacity?

Makes sense except a one element resistance on a Tediore is…one element.

You are right about the resistance being overrated…but it IS multi-element even if the parameters for the resistance to kick in prevent it’s effectiveness in all situations. At least you get a varied resistance that will sometimes kick in.

I like your thoughts on Synergy and why you do what you do.

I am thinking more about general protection and how to get a busted shield back up quickly…which has some synergisim with other Wilhlem skills.

You sir are a very smart guy!!

Oh and I still owe you that PC Fire rate check test…I may have some time this weekend. Tell me how you want it done again…refresh me if you could.

I made a slight edit to my above post to address the new question and further elaborate on a previous thought.

Also if you consider skills like Energize (A Staple on most Celestials) and DP (Granted it’s has like no abusability) that regen regardless of whether or not a shield is in recharge state. There’s also another brief point where getting your shields to full asap only really benefiting ER, which is sort of a weird skill to tailor your shield to because it lasts for such a long time that you don’t really need to be constantly breaking it.

I can send a brief PM of my proposed FR testing hypothesis from that Wilhelm thread.

Yepper…send it. I am exhausted from work and cleared the deck for an entire weekend of rest.

Yes…I actually spec ER fairly heavily…DP I only spec 1 point almost always because of the reasons you have stated.

VC benefits from it too…that is…if I ever actually used VC…which I rarely do…

Your reasoning is sound…and your advice has been good. Shifting more points into targeting scope was definitely an improvement for me.

1 Like

This thread really is a great analysis of shields. Do you also have the data how different parts effekt the elemental resistance? It would be great to have it on the list as well. You could just look what you want and select the perfect part combination for you from the list (and then spend for ever farming for that specific combination :smiley: )

Yeah…but…

At least to me manufacturing things for game play kind of defeats the “sportingness” if you will…of the game

Takes away a lot of the challenge…at least to me.

For testing purposes it is a necessity, no one has the time to go farm EVERY possible version…but for game play I avoid it if possible.

I’m no angel…I’m sure that some of the stuff in my arsenal that I actually play with which some I traded for, seems a bit too good to be true…

But if an individual says it’s legit…I don’t question it at all. Who am I to question it?

And the other thing is I never point fingers…what you do in YOUR game is YOUR business…and YOUR pleasure and fun. No concern of mine.

If I coop with someone I kinda do want them to follow what I like…or at least we come to an agreement…or I simply don’t participate and don’t hold anything against anyone. No harm, no foul…

Resistances are a function of special, High Health Values (~30-35k) = High Resist (65-75%), Found it redundant to include both.

However, I would rather you use this to enlighten you on what kind of parts are good for your shield, rather then Build-A-Bear whatever perfect combination.

I think you missunderstood me. I woudn’t use any kind of program to cheat the shield but I really like to farm different things and if I have a shield with specific parts that I really want I have a reason to farm and when I find adaptive shields I can look at the parts and see how close I am to the “perfect” shield.

That’s the best part about farming shields. For most shields there’s like 6 combinations of parts that are effectively the same shield, so it’s less picky than gun farming.

Nope…didn’t mean to imply that at all. Sorry.

Manufacturing is basically a necessity for decent testing and comparison.

@Hoyle4
I did some research to find a way to calculate exact contributions (i.e. numeric values) of manufacturers on capacity, delay etc. Hopefully I can do that thanks to your data. I will post results here if you guys have any interest in it.

Edit: Got those damn numbers! That’s not exacty what I expected but still very satisfying. Post-processing time :smile:

3 Likes

Ok here is the math stuff.

I tried several types of equation to find the most satisfying form and settled for the one shown below. For the sake of simplicity, all equations will be presented focusing on the shield capacity, but the structure is the same for other stats.

Capacity = Base_capacity * (1 + Body_cap_coeff + Capacitor_cap_coeff + Battery_cap_coeff)

Body, capacitor and battery coefficients depend on the manufacturer. The higher the better, except for recharge delay for obvious reasons. Because body, capacitor and battery modify shield stats equally, we have, for a given manufacturer and a given stat, the following property:

Body_cap_coeff = Capacitor_cap_coeff = Battery_cap_coeff = Manufacturer_cap_coeff

For example, in the case of a pure tediore shield, the capacity equation is

Capacity = Base_capacity * (1 + 3 * Tediore_cap_coeff)

For one bandit part and two hyperion parts it is

Capacity = Base_capacity * (1 + Bandit_cap_coeff + 2 * Hyperion_cap_coeff)

In order to avoid negative coefficients, base stats will always be the lowest stats possible which a pure manufacturer, with the one providing the smaller contribution to the stat. For example, the base capacity will always be the capacity of a pure Maliwan shield, every other part combination resulting in higher capacities.

Note that the base stat choice is subjective, and in my opinion taking the lowest stat value possible results in easier to understand numbers. Depending on the manufacturer and the stat considered, coefficients will vary in the range [0 ; 1], though I will also display them as percents of the base.

The table below shows which manufacturers are used as base for each stat. There are also base values associated to purple adaptive shields at level 70 but keep in my mind those values are only compatible with this type of shield, whereas manufacturers coefficients are valid for ANY shield in the game.

Now let’s see manufacturers’ contributions. This table displays coefficients you should use for calculation,

And those values in percents for easier reading

A few graphic to better visualize differences between manufacturer parts on shield stats,

Feel free to ask any question,

@Hoyle4 Thanks for providing the data it really helped

1 Like

Very well done sir, I have a question concerning the malleability of this formula.
What Data would you need to recollect to apply this theory to any shield, just the stats of the pure baseline parts (ie all bandit all maliwan etc).

Have you tried applying this theory to, say the cap of a Turtle shield?

Edit: Just to make sure you can check TG Wilhelm Claptrap or Nisha to get Level 70 Stats of some common shields.

I have not tried this formula on other shields, but I’ll gladly do that, even if I’m sure it will work.

The good thing is I need only 2 different manufacturer composed shield to validate coefficients, for example 2 different level 70 sham. And only one to calculate all base stats of the shield!

I dont have any level 70 toon on tps so I need input from the community to further use the formula

Tell me what you need

Stats and parts manufacters of for example 2 purple turtle, black holes, sham anything that you have two in your possession. At least one different part is needed