Ship design discussion thread

(Siber) #21

I’ll throw a ship in the ring, from outside of the homeworld concept world. https://supersampled.deviantart.com/art/Kali-154954551

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #22

That’s an interesting design, thanks for sharing it. I think it gives us the following challenge:

I like the “vertical” orientation - apart from the kushan / hgn mothership, don’t see many tall thin ships in homeworld. Why not? We could make some quite iconic vertical ships that would fit in the homeworld universe…

I also like the engine section and surrounding structure.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #23

This ship is a bit homeworldy. It has a touch of vaygr in it…

(doci7) #24

The shape seems really Progenitor to me; some of the features are very Keeper and the wavy paint scheme sure reminds me of a phased cannon array in some spots. Mostly I’m kind of preoccupied with wondering what the source here is… LOL, is it some kind of interactive storybook about spaceships for kids or something?

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #25

Yeah, a sticker book!

(Sastrei) #26

Dude. More spaceship kids books are seriously an awesome thing that are needed. Way cool.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #27

Here is an interesting taiidan design. There are lots of things I don’t like (the whole thing is essentially an extruded hexagon), but it also has some nice features and good overall proportions.

(REARM V2) #28

Not really. The overall shape language is as close as I can imagine to being the polar opposite of Taiidan. If you look at the iconic Qwaar-Jet, it is a box blunt as a fridge. This is “overshaped” (I made up a new word) into a Predator’s blade.

(doci7) #29

To me, the things it most needs are: to be rid of the trench that wraps around the top 3/4 of the rear midship (it looks uninspired and traditionally trenches split Taiidan ships along the y-axis rather than the z-axis), and to have large, prominent ventral features. I don’t mind so much that the whole thing slopes inward, but I admit it would probably clash noticeably when put next to a Qwaar-Jet.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #30

How about this? It caught my eye as being vaguely turanic…

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #31

Here’s a nice one:

(REARM V2) #32

This Destroyer is like a fluid hybrid between the BC and the Hiigaran Destroyer we have today. People making Light Cruisers could take an inspiration from this one. It has the basic Battlecruiser-like overall shape, with a narrow nose and twice the height dimension the Battlecruiser would have. As I said, it’s somewhere in between these two.

But I have to say that even the Hiigaran Destroyer is a bit of the oddball, I like it better precisely because of it. I wouldn’t want to just watch a gradual shape shift from Corvette to Battlecruiser, that is cheap. Some different shapes that still share most of the design language is something I value much more than bland hybrids.

That said while I’m glad it’s not a Destroyer, it’s a nice design. And I can absolutely imagine it as a predecessor to the Battlecruiser somewhere between the HW1 Avatar Heavy Cruisers and the HW2 BC.