Shipbreakers, Unity and all homeworld mods

Given unity’s significantly easier systems for object handling and the way terrains are handled.
Ship breakers provides us with an opportunity -

provided this functionality isn’t locked down (That means not DLL formatting in areas required)

From looking at the little footage available, mechanics ain’t all that different from homeworld (obviously, deliberately so).
(So i’m almost certain others have thought about this.)

Disabling terrain, replacing skybox, and negating gravity physics

Gives us a platform to port homeworld assets and churn out mods like no tomorrow, with the added bonus of any default functionality from Ship breakers.
Also for those LUAHolics , A few LUA script interface are available - so no need for learning Unity C# (which is actually compiled into c++).
Plus : HLSL runtimes (and that other one *Vomit), including compute shader systems (which if anyone has been watching my work with Mjolnir will know: is pretty damn cool) (in homeworld context this would allow for many millions of particle renders)

##EDIT
Seems I have to spell things out a bit for some:

.yes DLL’S are used in unity on release; and would require disassembly, reverse engineering etc - which is why I said ’ provided this functionality isn’t locked down :’

.Yes moment/behaviour will be different, although again with unity: there are many options to negate this (please do some research) - it is NOT a great deal of work.

.No it would not be easier to make an engine from scratch: I don’t know where to begin with how much nope this is.

#EDIT UPDATE 1
Please do some research before commenting : it’s growing tiring correcting people’s lack of knowledge on how unity functions.

2 Likes

Where are you finding gameplay video for Shipbreakers?

Google is a beautiful thing, @sastrei.

2 Likes

xD .

Oh okay, just double checking. :wink:

2 Likes

Sound like a good idea…i would post a question to the development team and ask if they could make some small tweaks so modding works like HWRM :wink:

Since it’s a known quantity that they’re using Unity, I’d recommend looking into what the Cities Skylines modders are doing with their game: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylinesModding/

They seem to be a very competent group, with a similarly pro-mod and pro-community dev team as Gearbox and BBI, and I think probably demonstrates the reasonable extent of what type of modding can be done with Unity based games.

We should also remember that Shipbreakers’ scope and design has no doubt changed significantly since the early days of development, and that they probably did not have the resources initially to idealize the game for mod development due to budget and personnel constraints.

2 Likes

I think, if Shipbreakers will be moddable, it will be modded by Unity enthusiasts first and Homeworld fans (much) later. Maybe both, but because they are Unity experienced in first place. Just an opinion.

1 Like

Just because it’s a unity game doesn’t mean it’ll be easily moddable, nor am I aware of any especially easy way to make it so. High moddability generally means setting out with a certain kind of architecture in mind, which Unity neither encourages or prevents. Look at KSP modding for an example, where unity experince might help with the super deep systems mods, but just throwing together some parts is a case of modeling and scripting just like a homeworld mod might be.

Also, even if it is highly moddable and made with a philosophy similar to HW’s, don’t expect to make spacegame mods easily. Movement for ground and space RTSs are different in some pretty basic ways that are unlikely to be easily modified unless they go really crazy with mod functionality, and even then it’ll be a great deal of work to get everything working very well.

1 Like

Yeah, it’d honestly probably be easier to make a Homeworld-esque game from scratch in Unity than to mod Shipbreakers to set it in space.

And if you want to do space based Homeworld mods why not just, I dunno, mod Homeworld?

4 Likes

I for one already have a vague idea for a shipbreakers mod, ground based of course :wink:

3 Likes

I’m sorry but your comment doesn’t seem as though you know how unity works.
‘Highly moddable’ in this case only refers to what the developers deliberately lock down in terms of control

I am more looking forward to mods that take the Homeworld storyline onto the ground…

• Makaan’s battle with Progenitor guards on some ice planet to find the second core
  • Hiigarans battling the Taiidan somewhere
  • Taiidan rebels vs Taiidan Imperial
3 Likes

I’m no expert in exactly what goes on under the hood when you hit build, but
I have used Unity for a few things. I’ve seen talk about decompiling and cracking open unity games, but that’s not the same thing as a moddable game. When I build a unity game, it spits out a bunch of large binary files and DLLs, not individual object definition files and plaintext scripts like a highly modable game uses. What Cities Skylines does is not something that unity games automatically do that people have to lock down, it’s special, and other moddable unity games may do things very differently.

2 Likes

Another game that uses Unity that you can research is Kerbal Space Program. It has Air, Space and Ground units (that you design and build of course). Modding doesnt seem too difficult for that game. There are lots of tutorials, and documentation. The modding forums are bristling with mods.

2 Likes

Of course, like any game
Hence the OP (Not locked down areas)

Re: EDIT
Short answer: nope it would not ‘easier’ (Do you know how many scripts it is just to get a render pipeline O.0 )

Umm, Unity already has a render pipeline?

You’re acting like you just remove the ground and turn off gravity and you’re done, which, haha no.

You’d have to completely scrap the movement system, the AI, and probably do a fair amount of re-working of the camera as well, at which point you might as well just start from scratch, because you’re not making a mod any more, and you’ll get more flexibility out of it because you’re not trying to hack Blackbird’s scripts to make them do things they aren’t supposed to.

And it’s not like plenty of people aren’t already doing (or have already done) Homeworld style 3D space based RTS games in Unity (Shallow Space? The tactical view of Enemy Starfighter?).

And again, what compelling reason to mod Shipbreakers to be space based is there when we can already mod Homeworld Remastered?

2 Likes

Not to mention that HWRE was launched last February. They simply didn’t have the time to improve tools, 'cause they are still digging into the base of the game. The community tools already experimented are halted because things and, in last instance, technology is/are still changing.

Either way, IF the problem of modding right now would be the usage of GBX material, if you would do it in Unity, it would still be not allowed. If not, check what HW@, Rearm V2 and the Taiidan Republic are doing with the current tools.

The basic problem of HW is still the same 10 years later: few Lua coders and artists that can handle textures. But I agree with you that SB will get attention from all modders that are already using Unity, but they will make APCs and MRAPs, not star fleets.

\edit
changed MAVs for MRAPs …

3 Likes

Not Shipbreakers anymore! Guess we better wait until Jan 20th to see how the file configuration and other things is set up.