Should bl3 be hyped?

Simple question. Should the new borderlands game be hype, or should a very large portion of it be kept a secret?

I recently saw a video explaining why it should not be hype, and I have to agree. They said that games that are hyped can turn out to be major disappoints. An example is with no mans sky, as it was hyped to oblivion with all of these amazing features but many were disappointed with how they were not as they were described to be. Thus can also be said with the (liked it but was disappointed with some of the parts that weren’t up to snuff).

Keeping the game in secret will not set expectations high, so many wont know what they are going into, which can be more invigorating than knowing exactly what’s supposed to happen. I find that many of the best games I play are the ones that I know little about. An example is borderlands 2, as I found the game as a high rated game in game informer, so I rented it and subsequently loved it to hell, and still love it.

So what are your thoughts? Should we know a lot about the mechanics of the game, or just the characters involved and a basic storyline?

1 Like

What do you mean by hype?

I want a 30 second trailer and then nothing else till release, I don’t even want a confirmed release date.

4 Likes

I mean like a ton of insights on gameplay and multiple tactics that will be included in the game

I totally agree. Just enough to show main characters and villain

On the release date maybe just a month or two earlier for the normal pre order bonus, but no exclusive seller bonus crap. That just annoys me

1 Like

I’m fine with BL3 having the usual roll out of information that games get these days. Trailers, developer interviews, gameplay sneak peaks and all that. With the success of BL2, I expect BL3 will get some marketing muscle from 2K.

What’s important here is to keep your own expectations and hype levels in check to avoid disappointment.

2 Likes

I just wish all the pre release stuff would quit. They reveal like half the stuff before a game even releases

2 Likes

I refuse to watch game trailers so I keep myself blind, but I also refuse to buy new games without playing them at someones house first.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t usually over-watch marketing, especially if I know I’m already going to get a game. Film and game trailers can often reveal key stuff and I like to go into my story pretty blind. I’m not a marketing expert (fortunately) so I don’t really know whether lots of content and insight has the desired effect. If I does, 2k should go for it; I want to see the game prosper, but there should also be some more secretive teasers :smiley:

1 Like

That’s a solid approach.

1 Like

[quote=“AMG_75, post:6, topic:1545229”]What’s important here is to keep your own expectations and hype levels in check to avoid disappointment.[/quote]This guy knows what time it is (although that would be a drag on bingo night). :laughing:

Regarding this particular franchise, I would be open to as much info as they care to give about available game mechanics (manufacturer gimmicks, element types, Vault Hunter skills, etc.) That won’t ruin the game for me, where showing major plot twists could.

3 Likes

I knew a bit about bl1. It sounded awesome. I’ve tried six times this decade to play it. I hate it every time.
I got bl2 expecting something similar, maybe a little better. I’ve put as many hours into that as Skyrim. Hype will destroy a game faster than a poorly made game destroys itself. Granted, sometimes hype is great! A new elder scrolls? I hear that phrase… And I’m interested and jumping up and down! I don’t care if it’s worse than ES online! I want it now!

But… I just don’t see that being the way this cookie crumbles.

1 Like

This is very good, but I can find it very bad for me as well. I have what’s like the angel and demon on my shoulders. The angel is telling me to not look into all the hype about it or I may be majorly disappointed, but the demon is telling me that I have a right to know and therefore I should know it

But I like what you said than what I previously posted. It’s not how much it is hyped by the developers, it’s how much hype you allow yourself to know. An example is with the pre sequel. All I knew is that it was coming out, and I saw the trailer for it. I liked the game a lot more than others who drank up every detail about the game pre launch. So I guess the bottom line is to know what will make you satisfied pre launch but not with high expectations.

1 Like

But what if Mr. Tourge is in a commercial? Getting people hyped is the goal of marketing, plus it is borderlands 3 so there will be hype. To avoid over-hyping they could just announce it only a month or two before its release.

1 Like

…that’s why I was trying to figure out his definition of hype. “Hey, new game on the way! Check out what it’s capable of!” is much different than, “You won’t believe it when the murderer turns out to be the butler!” For me, they can showcase the game mechanics all day long but leave out the plot points.

2 Likes

Personally,

I don’t mind some transparancy. Stainless did it with Carmageddon Max Damage, weekly updates, actually showing proof their game was running on PS4, asnwering people’s questiosn during those streams, etc. Which for me really helped buying the game (and stil dont regret it, can’t forgive them Reincarnation, but I am willing to give them kudo’s on C:MD thus far).

If GBX did the same, I wouldn’t mind. But I’m stil afraid 2K would meddle too much.

1 Like

I liked the way Bethesda handled the FO4 release, and I wish more companies would emulate that example.

In the case of BL3 having nothing concrete up until close to launch, perhaps with a concurrent release of a new Telltale prelude chapter, would suit me fine. I like surprises :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, but the first season of tales did a lot of story changing. Unless if they keep up with Rhys and Fiona then I have no problem. This could be better actually because it could introduce more characters from different worlds that could be included in bl3

I really hope the story picks up after Tales (ie incorporating its changes and developments as canon). The storytelling in that was fantastic, Borderlands 3 will be doing itself an honour to keep with its developments of the universe

1 Like

BL3 early footage will appear around August 2017 and the game will be out by September 2018 at the earliest. Gearbox will show something when they have it and in the case of BL2 they showed footage over 12 months from release. They released both BL1 & BL2 in September so it is very likely BL3 will be released the same month. Don’t expect surprises as this is a big game and will almost certainly follow the same leadup as we had for BL2 and given the current dates and no sign of anything Borderlands (thanks for that Battleborn) so about August 2017 is when we will see the first glimpses of the game.

1 Like