Should they give Borderlands MMO a real try?

(Spankdetank) #1

Hi all, I stumbled on Boderlands 1 while I was killing time between MMOs. Yah I’m a PC gamer usually. Now I know there is a huge disconnect between console and pc gamers, but there doesn’t have to be. Face it we’re all gamer nerds that spend our off time killing bad guys or each other. The upside of MMOs is that the game last a lot longer. The downside of MMOs is that the game last a lot longer.
I instantly fell in love with this game. Even when Wildstar came out (an MMO that might have looted a bit from Borderlands) I kept coming back to try new things and eventually got Borderlands 2. Then I saw TFTBL and had a blast, so of course I had to get the pre-sequel. I love pretty much everything about borderlands. Then when some idiot dropped his hershey bar into the open jar of Peanut butter I happened to be walking down the street with I thought “Hey, wouldn’t an MMO of Borderlands just kidk ass!” So then I found out that there was an MMO in the works and then they canceled it!
I think that a Borderlands MMO ala Star Wars the Old Republic would rock.
For those of you that don’t play MMOs trust me the way that SWTOR did their MMO would fit perfectly with the Borderlands play style. Different story lines for each character, PVP matches that have an objective instead of just a slugfest, and different areas to play in as you advance.
You could be a vault hunter working for Hyperion, Atlas, or S&S. The lore is rich enough to support an MMO and there already is a huge fan base, not to mention that the next few years of MMOs pretty much blows so they would have a huge advantage in gathering subscribers.
I know that console gamers as a rule are more PVP oriented, but I think that we can all agree that Borderlans story, lore, and overall flavor is awesome. Why not take the next step and make a kick ass MMO so we have something to play between releases of the next Borderlands installment.

(Guajiro Pandoreño) #2

[quote=“spankdetank, post:1, topic:1221108”]Then when some idiot dropped his hershey bar into the open jar of Peanut butter[/quote]There’s a pre-Internet meme you don’t hear much anymore. :laughing:

More Borderlands content? I’m always down. An MMO? I might not play it, but would have to see how it works.

(Berserker) #3

I have no interest in a Borderlands MMO. But…

… I like your way of thinking.

(Cast Iron Chef) #4

I don’t see a BL based MMO being made because MMOs are a huge undertaking that require a large upfront investment of both money and man-power with no guarantees of an acceptable return. Besides, it would have to be free to play, otherwise nobody would play it. Just ask Zenimax (the publisher of The Elder Scrolls series) how charging a monthly fee for their TES themed MMO worked out for them. Or ask Bioware about their Star Wars MMO they initially charged for. I’d rather GBX focus on what they do best and, if they really are interested in making an MMO, task somebody else with doing it so we’ll continue to get great games from them.

(Schwarze Sonne) #5

[quote=“Gulfwulf, post:4, topic:1221108, full:true”]
I don’t see a BL based MMO being made because MMOs are a huge undertaking that require a large upfront investment of both money and man-power with no guarantees of an acceptable return. Besides, it would have to be free to play, otherwise nobody would play it. Just ask Zenimax (the publisher of The Elder Scrolls series) how charging a monthly fee for their TES themed MMO worked out for them. Or ask Bioware about their Star Wars MMO they initially charged for. I’d rather GBX focus on what they do best and, if they really are interested in making an MMO, task somebody else with doing it so we’ll continue to get great games from them.
[/quote]I agree with all of this. However, I don’t view Borderlands 2 or the TPS as great games so I wouldn’t be opposed to them trying something like this. I wouldn’t want to see them prioritize it before BL3 for reasons you mentioned, though.

(Cast Iron Chef) #6

[quote=“Stoker, post:5, topic:1221108”]
I don’t view Borderlands 2…as great games…[/quote]

(Schwarze Sonne) #7

Sorry, bud! I don’t mean to imply they’re bad, though. They’re good games but I don’t consider them great. At least not great enough that I’d worry about an MMO project taking away some of their resources for a traditional Borderlands game. My expectations have already been lowered so for me personally, a Borderlands MMO only has potential upside in my mind.

(breakdownx1@hotmail.com) #8

I think Borderlands has a chance at an mmo to try something new and also spoiler alert*. In Borderlands 2 the ending shows many vaults so to me they can create each vault like a separate raid and leading up to it and/or easier vaults could be a 4 man group. I’m hoping they do this just because I don’t want then milking the Borderlands franchise. Most games now a days would make each vault its own dlc and maybe even game if they really want to strech it out.

(And He Beheld the Ruins, of an Empire Torn Apart...) #9

Honestly, my problem with a Borderlands MMO has less to do with what could be done right, and more what keeps being done wrong. It’s come to the point where “MMO” has far less to do with a persistent world that allows hundreds (or more) of players to play together, and more to do with being a damned WoW clone. Some have some slight tweaks, but all in all, they end up feeling like the same game with a slightly different skin.

One of the few MMOs that has managed to survive this long, and not used that formula is Eve Online. Then again, that’s only because Eve came along before WoW even existed. If it’s development had have been after WoW’s popularity surge, I wouldn’t be shocked if they would have made spaceship combat in the exact same format as every other WoW clone.

(In Vino Veritas) #10

I wouldn’t rally against it, so long as it doesn’t take man power away from BL3. I am 99% certain I wouldn’t play it, though. Never liked MMOs much.

There are plenty of series I loved that I never bothered playing their MMO.

(Kwisatz Haderach) #11

IIRC, there was a Borderlands MMO being developed for release in China by Shana Interactive. Gearbox wisely pulled the plug on it because, quite frankly, it looked like ass.

Forum ID: Poisd2Strike
GT: Poisd2Strike
Trades: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poisd2strikes-humble-shop/367700
Gun Prefixes | Gun Parts | Max Stats
Maya OP8 | Banshee RR / NRR | Binder | Cat | Nurse | Siren | Trickster B / M

(Is this thing on?) #12

I think if GBX was to attempt an MMO, it would have to re-invent what an MMO was. That’s similar to what they’re attempting with Battleborn (#ItsNotAMOBAButItSortOfIs) and even the original Borderlands (RGP? FPS? You decide!)

If any company could come up with something MMOButNotMMO, my bet would be GBX. That said, please get BL3 launched before thinking about it!

(...) #13

Simple Answer = No

Complex Answer = AHHHH HELL, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS UNHOLY, NEGATORILLY, NIXRIFICALLY, NOPE-NOPE!

(Matrixneo42) #14

I’ll play anything Borderlands. I’d be sad if I had to buy new hardware to play BL3 though (imagine if Borderlands 3 development time took long enough that we’d have to worry about the next console generation, or if it was PC only - I don’t think either will happen though). I think most new MMOs nowaday will at least shy away from monthly fees. I never liked the idea of monthly fees for MMOs.

edit: I would play/try an MMO version but I would likely not enjoy it as much and probably wouldn’t subscribe very long if it cost. Or I’d play it for a month, drop it, and then play again 6 months later, paying for just another month. You aren’t going to get me to pay monthly. I already pay for xbox gold yearly and that’s plenty for online fees.

(Backdraft Guru) #15

(LootHunter_twitch) #16

Just wouldn’t work. One of the main end game activities for most hard core players is farming the hell out of bosses, and involves a lot of solo re-starting. When UVHM 2 was brought in with the Tubby Legendary drops it did add that aspect of running around in groups, and Digistruct Peak failed totally because players get locked out or can’t join progress.

My view, no way. Borderlands can be a game for short activities, MMO games require long term stuff and the game would have to be totally re-invented. Leave it where it is, and what it’s so good at.

The multiplayer side does need massively enhancing though, and that would boost the game a great deal.

(Dont Panic) #17

Phuck No!

(Below 9000) #18

Every time I play Destiny I wish it were Borderlands. So yes for me, with the caveat that single player is never abandoned.

(Heyoo!) #19

No thanks.

(Where's lucky?) #20

I wouldn’t mind if gearbox made an MMO but I hope if they do it its a different IP. Leave borderlands what it is.