Should we discuss what happens if BL3 is Epic Store exclusive?

Properly implemented it would be a rating viewable on the game’s page best placed right under the user rating of the game itself.

I think the quick solution Steam came up with was to just remove the weight of the review bomb from the game’s user rating however the comments themselves were still visible.

Still it would be a nice change of sorts to have something that could potentially represent how often a developer/publisher makes decisions that upset the user base. However like essentially all systems it does have flaws and potential for exploitation.

1 Like

I agree, as long as it showed on product pages.

Most of the people I have seen float this or a similar idea had the idea of it being on a separate page dedicated to the company, my response was based on that version of the concept where we have the same situation of the only people it would reach being the ones who already probably knew

Relevant article for added context on the review bomb thing:

So Valve had implemented a policy and had a tool to flag suspicious activity, but this was subject to human review:

That article was posted around noon (EST) on April 5th; by 10:30 pm same day there was an update to reflect that the review bomb tag had been applied. So, a bit of a lag between when obvious signs appeared and when Valve’s process was enacted.

Whether the process could have happened faster, only Valve knows. But, this was the first time the new process and procedure had been put to the test. (The Metro Exodus review bombing predates the current system.)

1 Like

Same here

Oh he would, if Epic kept paying. People will still buy the game, even if it isn’t on Steam.

Hmm is there a car taxto be paid here? Maybe in a new thread ‘Pets of Pandora’ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d imagine the CEO of 2K is even more of a blame in this mess since they are the publisher. The talk and the walk of that guy certainly went their separate directions.

2 Likes

Potentially a good bit, after his constant passing the buck to 2K for the decision.

One of the suits had to be like: “Yo, you can say we have the official final say, but having literally zero influence in the Epic exclusivity deal? FOH.”

I mean, Pitchford is the Gearbox CEO so the “I had nuttin to do wit it.” defense is kinda inherently problematic by itself based on that fact.

1 Like

Not to mention the “I support Epic” tweet from last December…

1 Like

I have to agree.

I read that comment as a mere overreaction to cheesed-off fans, albeit a dangerous one. I think Randy on some level knows that move (ergo, cutting off business w/ Steam completely) would be career suicide, and he’d be taking the whole of Gearbox down with him.

The Steam community’s reaction to that will make the review bombing look like a food fight.

3 Likes

Everyone: read the forum rules, please, and take the edge off those posts, Ta.

3 Likes

This sounds to me to be very fitting way to describe this situation(developers feeling entitled point):

4 Likes

I think there’s still a massive lack of understanding about how games are made. The extent to which publishers are still conflated with developers is just one aspect of this. It’s a complicated relationship, but the terms are used interchangeably when they’re anything but.

Like, I said, that’s just one thing. I think a lot more education on the nitty-gritty of how games are made, and how much they cost to make, would actually help a lot of things. It’d help folks understand developers more (it’d also help expose the predatory practises in the industry a lot better, I think).

The problem is, it’s perceived as a binary; people being too defensive of a company, or similar. There’s very little nuance - as soon as you start defending developers, you’re perceived as being “against” folks playing the games. Which is weird, because developers also play games. I don’t know how to fix that one.

There’s way too much of an “us vs. them”, and videos like the above really don’t help that. That’s what we call an incendiary tagline, the “war on customers”. It stokes the flames. Language has a purpose, and I refuse to accept that someone who makes that kind of content isn’t aware it’s designed to drive clicks.

The thing is, it also drives up the ante; it exaggerates the situation into something it isn’t. Which some folks take literally, and we start again from that heightened point. De-escalation is a lot harder than escalation, I suppose!

EDIT

Also, I’ve often been told people don’t need to know how games are made. I get that, that’s fair.

But I argue that if you want to get invested in arguments online about the consequences of making and financing games, then you do. Not everyone does, but it ain’t the blanket defense I’ve seen it used as (not on here, just for the record).

6 Likes

There is lack of understanding on all levels in everything. The solution is finding ways to keep everything as transparent and honest as possible and improving communication. I think this whole issue is rooted within lack of communication. Developers have different point of view on games they’re developing, as publishers have, as customers have. Neither stand above others, the question is about negotiating and finding common grounds.

1 Like

I disagree that “neither stand above others”. That relegates the whole discussion to power dynamics.

Developers make the games. Without them, you wouldn’t be able to buy them. It doesn’t work the other way around, because games are made first. The consequence of buying them is that they either don’t get as much support, or they don’t get a sequel.

But likewise, it doesn’t make sense to upset your customers. That’s just dumb. Customers deserve respect too.

However, understanding that you might not understand why a developer does X, or a developer does Y, is not the same as a lack of transparency. Which is what it’s often presented as.

When I say “folks should know more about making games”, I mean generally. Not specifically, with regards to developer-fan interactions. Only if you want to talk about the consequences of such, though.

1 Like

I remember Dragon Age 1 sold zillions of copies on Steam. Then DA2 got buried under Origin.

I have nothing against using Epic Store or anything, as long as it’s not exclusive.

The only exclusive method I would agree with is if Gearbox released their own app for their games, as they would be able to directly serve its players (content, promotions, updates, etc).

2 Likes

This is what PR is for.

The gaming industry isn’t immune to its need but they seemed to have missed the memo.

Oil spill occurs (BP, Exxon) : epic fail in public relations. People still are salty about the Valdez debacle decades later.
Tylenol bottles get tampered with in mass quantities. The company pulls all their stock and invents the tamper-proof cap. Huge win for Tylenol.

Gaming companies are selling a product but more than that they should be selling brand loyalty. This is marketing 101.

4 Likes

You’ll forgive me if I find this a bit cynical :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean, you’re probably right. But that’s what I’d want to see things move away from, not towards!

1 Like