Skullmasher... Where do I pick up the grind now?

Indeed

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

RNGesus says hey!
rng

8 Likes

So for Skullmashers I have a Siah-Siah with matching grip, and a Skookum with a Dahl(or maybe Vladof) grip. Their base damage on the card is the same. I’ve been using the Siah-Siah. Is there any reason to use the Skookum with non-matching grip?

When I shoot walls and inspect the decals, it appears that Siah-Siah has a bit tighter spread. Is this due to Siah-Siah being Accuracy or is all in my head ( I totally accept this possibility)?

I use the skullmasher at some pretty impressive distances and it’s quite effective. Have I just been lucky or is this due to the accuracy prefix?

4 Likes

I have distinctly noticed that some of the parts reduce the projectile spread, I haven’t confirmed exactly what is going on to cause it yet.

Incidentally the fire rate accessory which is my preferred choice on maliwan snipers causes projectiles to bounce…

In my particular case I’m looking for the absolute tightest spread. Something I have little experience with because the only way I could have experience with it is with the skully… :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

A quick look suggests accuracy is boosted by:

• Barrel - Hyperion, Maliwan, or Jakobs
  • Grip - Hyperion
  • Stock - Hyperion, Maliwan, or Jakobs

And then the accuracy accessory, of course (Siah-Siah prefix I believe)

You’ll find links to the visual parts guides in this post - I keep copies locally for reference.

7 Likes

I have been going back and forth in there

if I’m not mistaken there is actually a specific attribute that reduces the spread independent of just increasing the accuracy… Right?

4 Likes

Last night was the first I’d noticed it. Obviously the one I just found has that accessory. I was rather surprised when I tested it out against a wall. Jakobs pistols do the same.

Not that I’ve ever come across - other than recoil of course. But for single shots only the accuracy stat should affect spread. You’ve got me thinking though…

6 Likes

There’s accuracy and accuracy recovery, in terms of actual performance stats. The latter is the rate of cross-hair bloom reduction after running or prolonged firing (except for Hyperion weapons for the latter). Recoil reduction affects how far off point the aiming reticule rises after each shot. There may be other things as well? I think the way accuracy works has been pretty well discussed in the threads on how bullet velocity affects split projectiles etc.

4 Likes

That’s how it work for shotguns so I assume it’s the same with “the Sniper Rifle who wanted to be a shotgun” aka The Skullmasher.

I wouldn’t have had the reflex to search for accuracy on it thou. Good spot! :+1:

3 Likes

If I recall correctly from my bl1 custom weapon days there is minimum accuracy, maximum accuracy, accuracy penalty per shot impulse and accuracy recovery.

Minimum accuracy governs the behavior of the gun at its lowest possible accuracy.

Maximum accuracy refers to the guns highest possible accuracy state.

Player actions influence where within the bandwidth of accuracy between maximum and minimum the accuracy state is any given point. Both ADS and hip fire have different initial accuracy values and different inherent accuracy attributes that are then modified by character based accuracy attributes.

Accuracy penalty per shot impulse refers to accuracy degradation after firing. It is somewhat similar to flinch, but flinch is a character attribute rather than a weapon attribute.

My understanding of per shot impulse accuracy penalty is that upon firing there is a static percentage decrease to current accuracy. So for something like a Hyperion weapon that per shot impulse value decreases per shot despite the fact that the effect of it can and does stack if the fire rate exceeds accuracy recovery for a given weapon (aaaaand it very well can)

Accuracy recovery is the one thing that I don’t remember clearly in that I’m not sure if it affects both Flinch, the per shot impulse return values as well as the speed at which you approach maximum accuracy after ADS or weapon swap.

I don’t remember really tearing into it but the governing logic of the other accuracy values indicates to me that there must be multiple contributors to the accuracy recovery value from both the character as well as the weapon itself, where as the per shot impulse is solely weapon specific.

I would imagine that like other accuracy values; each weapon has an inherent accuracy recovery value that is initially decided by the gun body, then modified by the specific parts on the weapon, then finally Modified by player attributes.

Aaaaand I’m rambling… Lol

Edit:

Oh yeah spread… Now that I have decompiled the gun system logic it seems that maximum accuracy is what governs the spread of multiple projectile weapons…

Specifically for the multi pellet weapons where the gun actually fires 6 different shots or whatever the multi Shot count is for the weapon at the same time.

Child projectiles are a whole nother animal.

8 Likes

Found it, the Hyperion grip has a positive effect on weapon spread…

I guess that modifies the angle of deviation from center for the entire projectile cluster?

4 Likes

I thought that was how accuracy worked in BL2?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. Note that for point-source accuracy (like sniper rifles that fire one shot), it’s how much the shot deviates from where it should have hit. For example, imagine a cone from the barrel of the gun to where your crosshairs are on the wall. The accuracy describes how big this cone is, within which, the shot will land (higher accuracy, smaller cone).

With the Godfinger, each particle appears in the exact same stream as the original, there’s no spread for each pellet; they’re all subject to the accuracy of the original shot.

With the Skullmasher, each particle rolls their own accuracy dice for where they land in the cone; we should expect to get the same shot pattern if we had a one-shot Skullmasher and fired it five times.

Weapons with pre-defined shot patterns (Heartbreaker, Kitten, Lascaux, for example), The point that the shot aims for follows the pre-defined pattern, so higher accuracy with these just means that the shape gets tighter and less sloppy, not necessarily smaller; the entire pattern is the point the bullets aim for, with deviation from the pattern due to inaccuracy.

The variable I forget is whether or not bullet speed helps accuracy (as in, does it “shrink” the pre-defined patterns and/or the shot pattern for things like the Skullmasher)? I don’t think so… I think it just means that the shot gets to its point faster, but if spread was a function of air time, taking less time to get to target would keep the spread tighter. Let’s see!

8 Likes

Er…didn’t we know about the Hyp grip already?

Capture

Or am I missing something beyond the simple explanation that accuracy tightens spread?

Every test I’ve ever done on anything that increases accuracy ( skills, COMs ) has had this effect.

This harkens back to this :

5 Likes

That’s right, thanks! That line of research sounded familiar.

4 Likes

For me the Hyperion grip thing was about the specific attribute it possesses to benefit “weapon spread”

Until I found that modifier again I was going under the common assumption that the maximum accuracy was what governs the spread.

I believe that it is both weapon spread and maximum accuracy which governs the final shape of the weapons spread at a given distance from the player, similarly increases in velocity will affect the apparent weapons spread at a given distance.

I believe that there is an initial attribute of the deviation from the zero line axis of the projectile.

That initial deviation is the term “weapon spread”

I would imagine that having a lower weapon spread accomplishes a similar result to having higher velocity values as it is most likely an angular deviation over time. A smaller initial deviation would result in a smaller cone at a given distance. increasing projectile speed does the same thing because the deviation is based on time not distance.

4 Likes

So the godfinger child projectiles have zero weapon spread…

I wish I could get my hands on a working bl2 editor

3 Likes

The Godfinger child projectiles are… weird. It’s like they spawn mid-flight as a function of time in the same space as the original one, but yeah - precise AF.

4 Likes

That’s actually not completely true.
Split is based on time.
Spread is based on distance.

I’ve tested the former a lot. The latter - well Demonite said so :smile:
Check the thread I linked for Ad.

6 Likes