So few trying to help gearbox make Borderlands 3 great

First off, I apologize if some of this belongs in a different thread and I will try to keep points straight forward and to the point. This is my first time on these forums since I first played Borderlands in 2009 and there is a reason since I’ve waited for Borderlands 3 for approximately a fifth of my life (7 years) because TPS barely counts. I’m currently at about 200 hours of game time since September 13, about 8.3 days out of 20, and this is about the time that I stopped playing Anthem; it makes me tear up when I think about gearbox doing exactly the same first adjustment that Bioware did because I have so much love for Borderlands and it seems to me that after some mediocre releases that it was finally decided to go ahead and soak up all that money from the Borderlands fans like myself. So let’s get to it then with a few suggestions which are only a very small fraction I have for the game (seeing as how I’ve paid you not you paid me).
I know, you know, we ALL know. Borderlands: Fantastic. Borderlands 2: Fan-F@#$ing-Tastic. TPS: meh. Borderlands 3 has updated the flow of combat (which is just the best update as far as I can tell) but has needless immunity phases during bosses. How am I supposed to farm in a looting game when I have to wait a seemingly endless amount of time just to do more damage? Then the first thing to do is nerf the holy crap out of legendary drops. 200 hours and I don’t have a single perfect item I want besides The Transformer. 1 billion guns and theres The Transformer. Anthem is dead cough. Leave it to the MMORPGs please and remove immunity phases for abilities on cooldown which most can even be set as low as 1 second (or lower with increasing Mayhem numbers) with less telegraphing in TVHM (my grandma reacts with plenty of time to spare). Add a survive, kill or be killed ability at 10% life (or less) of major bosses. I have 12 mules and counting and my character list is taking longer…and longer to load. Few people care about looking at their character at the character list screen and I can have all these mules but somehow I can’t instead just upgrade the bank and lost loot with each character as max them for differing builds. Speaking of which, being forced through an unskippable, annoying, bad main story on every…single…new character made me break a $60 controller (with my bare hands). A nonexistent increase to specific legendaries for a week long event. How many video games have gotten pets right? Not this one, so long as Fl4k’s pets use hold to activate instead of autocast, or a useful ability to replace utility grenades, I’m not using a pet build (guess I need to mention their constant missing attacks on nonmoving enemies here). I can’t equip minions besides Zane, sort of; Diablo 2 did this in early 2000’s. And on and on about mistakes that weren’t even made 20 years ago. Now for a few things I certainly haven’t read about.
An addition that practically adds and improves itself! Melee weapons. I’ve been doing a single melee attack per second since 2009 in Borderlands and I only get Krieg in an Echo device. Melee weapons could make a melee build outside of Amara a legit possibility. Increase/decrease melee attack speed, damage, rainbow elemental axes with the right artifacts/ class mods (my imagination is pretty) and literally an entire video game history as a resource. I can’t believe it’s 2019 and somehow there is someone that thinks adding a cooldown to a percent chance ability is the best idea. Guess what (this isn’t new), you screw the half that wants more procs based on percent by increasing rate of fire AND the other half that wants to use slower more powerful weapons with a cooldown proc all at the same time (that’s everyone BTW unless there is another half that doesn’t want either). So now we get with Leave No Trace where the ability can proc once per time but doesn’t because of percent chance as well. You can’t make it more effective with higher fire rate OR more damage OR larger mags, I will respec out of it and use the Calls which return the same ammo used on crits instead (maybe I still end up with more damage and this ability exits viability). All that needed to be done was percent adjustment or just make it one or the other then at least half of everyone is happy. Now legendaries and this billion gun stuff. There is no point to 99% of a billion unwanted guns (besides the masher <3) when legendaries (most of which are also just awful; EMP? not over any other shock grenade thank you) are inherently more powerful AND have unique effects. Perfect epics should easily outweigh the usefulness of the least perfect legendaries, also there is an absurd limit to mods on legendaries; I’m looking at you The Transformer and Nagata. Slots and tipping for a decent Crit with $50M…hours later…$40M fun; 100k at a time bare minimum please. Item sorting, easy UI fixes, character sheet, legendary character “skin” palette swaps that keep taking the place of a possibly decent weapon, Anthem is dead cough cough blah blah blah; I’m hungry.
I will keep playing for now while I’m still enjoying the art style, music, side quests, gunplay and some boss fights like the last 200 hours. Even if you guys keep ruining this game, I’ve got my value out of it ($150) thank you very much (not meant to be sarcastic). Here’s to hoping I don’t stop playing soon because I won’t make the same mistake again with a beloved developer like I did with Bioware. You guys need help because you guys are stuck somewhere none of us belong anymore. Thank you for reading if you did. Cheers.
Edit: This wasn’t supposed to be so ranty. Please add anything you think Bordlands 3 needs to keep your attention. You are not the only one.

7 Likes

See, this guy gets it.

3 Likes

I wish he got the space bar.

Good read but needs more paragraphs. Think of us old people ffs!

5 Likes

Sorry mate. I ended up feeling sort of ranty so less paragraphs.

2 Likes

I need a tldr version

Holy wall of text.

1 Like

Yeaa I agree with a lot of this… immunity phases are annoying…

Drop rates for weapons are broken and need to be assigned… cant aquire the gear I need for my build and then get the right prefix with the right element and the right anointment… waaaaay to much rng to sift through …

Playing offline kinda helps to buff loot drops but it would help even more if the loot was assigned…

Fuggit, rant on brother!

Borderlands is a great series and we wouldn’t be so passionate and critical if we didn’t love it so goddamn much

5 Likes

I still think alot of the balances are a knee jerk reaction from Gearbox.

Doesnt feel like alot of thought and/or testing was done. It seems it was more of a what is the quickest thing we can do to affect change without understanding what the change would do.

2 Likes

Well, Borderlands 3 improved some things a lot like gunplay but refused to take into account modern (not so modern?) gaming standards like UI item sorting and character sheets. gearbox needs our help to get out of the Borderlands dark ages such as with one melee attack per second. Please suggest what you think will help make Borderlands 3 not just in between TPS and 2 but the top Borderlands dawg.

1 Like

See, this is the civil conversation I want people to have as I mentioned in today’s patch thread. I have mixed feelings on what Gearbox is doing, and I hope to god I didn’t make a mistake getting this game.

I’ve been burned enough by games made after 2016, I’ve been burned and backstabbed hard by MANY people from December 2016 onwards. I hope I don’t end up getting burned by this series and this game.

3 Likes

My thoughts as well.

I find it hard to read beyond this line, probably because this is such a frequent complaint here. Drop rates are still exponentially better than BL2, a game that had notoriously atrocious drop rates until three years after release, when they were made slightly less atrocious.

I’ve heard the designated drop argument before and I get it, but what I’m yet to read is how great it is to farm Gravey hoping for a Lyuda only to get a Butcher, Crossroad, Kaos, and legendary class mod instead, all good items that you’ll equip or bank while you continue the hunt. Hope for one good drop get many as opposed to hope for one get the wrong element and ■■■■ parts? I can’t fathom why anybody would complain about the current loot system when that was what we came from.

Drop rates got decreased, bosses that dropped five legendaries every run now only drop two most runs. This is the most absurd complaint I’ve ever heard about a video game. At what point does “legendary” lose its meaning and just become common? How unexciting to get hundreds of legendaries an hour and have everything you want when you want it. Imagine complaining about having to shoot and loot in a looter shooter.

200 hours of farming didn’t guarantee you a “perfect” legendary in BL2, either, at best you got the element you wanted and felt satisfied about your several hours long farming session that yielded one piece of gear you were after. At least in BL3 you can fill a vault full of usable gear for all of your characters after one session.

5 Likes

I feel your burning plenty and we aren’t the only ones but as for me I’ve gotten my value already; I just ended up wishing for more innovation.

What a mess… Dude, did you just compare Anthem to Borderlands 3? For realsies?

1 Like

Yep,they either have something big,or absolutely nothing in the bag.We can only guess.They are reading and listening as we have been told.So I would expect a reaction to our patience with something better.We are still playing and still loving the games after all these years.

1 Like

The point of the statement is Anthem and that this game should be easily surpassing Borderlands 2 in most ways because fun is what matters. Farming Grave for 200, 500, or 1000 hours like you would’ve had to do in Borderlands 2 was the only thing I despised about BL2.

Okay, as for the rest… Well ■■■■! PREACH BROTHER, PREACH! Disagree that in some instances purples should outweigh legendaries, although in some they do, but the rest. Bit of paragraphing to make this easier to read and this is the best critical review of BL3 I’ve seen on these here forums so far.

1 Like

Disagreement is fine but suggestions help gearbox figure where the community is. :slight_smile:

Can you please stop getting every thread locked because of a personal conversation with someone that is going out of hand.Thank you in advance , some of us actually wanna discuss things and not argue about their position or anything for that matter.
Hope you understand.

5 Likes

I agree with this person. I complained about not having civil conversations earlier today, I just didn’t want this civil thread to be ruined by hostility.

3 Likes