So what IS it that makes Pendles not as viable?

honestly one of the most frustrating things. When you need help the most they just sit there.

3 Likes

Yea, agreed. He is definitely not a carry but I just feel like in a draft you can use him to your advantage especially if no one picked a reveal

2 Likes

I remember and I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISSED when they reverted it! Clearly the wound is still salted :smile_cat:.

But real talk, it’s things like that that and the Mellka fiasco that make me feel in my bones that GBX has NO F*CKING clue what they are doing when it comes to balancing.

2 Likes

Oh completely!

Personally I go for the “shard control” pendles, if the fight in mid is at an initial stalemate I focus shards COMPLETELY at first to get my teams gear up/destroying buildables(I use all shard gen gear, so I try to drain people’s shards as early as possible to keep gear from being activated) after my team and I have gear up I completely build the map(I play with people who tend to focus on the fight and forget the infrastructure) after that it’s spam elitebots for lane presence and attack the weaker enemies

The thing about pendles is he’s a one trick pony and everyone knows how to as a team collapse on him and handle the trick.

In incursion, he’s quiet and frankly non-existent by necessity as his whole shtick is sneaking around and ambushing suddenly. This keeps him dissuaded from doing anything in the main battle area until he “strikes” someone which is crippling for the allies of said pendles in and of itself.

As I said initially, we all know the drill by now. The person that gets struck is supposed to immediately ping the pendles…which they usually do and then people around him collapse on him. BB’s inherent nature of it’s heroes having a very high TTK makes it even harder on pendles.

Pendles is a tricky character to balance by nature. One slight overtune and he can become the most OP character in the game.

Pendles is like Little Mac in Smash 4. He takes an entirely different mindset when facing him to beat him. If you don’t know that mindset, he’s one of the most difficult in the game to go against which is why so many noobs banned him right away when WU ban mode was just released and noobs actually still played incursion.

But once you know the dance on tackling him, like Little Mac, he’s not too difficult to manage.

3 Likes

Like others here, I didn’t think much of Pendles but after watching you play him in the PC league matches, I have to say that you have completely changed my perception of him. Since then I have been actively trying to fit him into matches so that I can work on utilizing him how you have.

3 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: … still learning too but I hope you have fun being the sneky snake. He takes advantage of opportunities with a pinch of harassing… if all fails you can just go around blinding everyone until a opportunity occurs. You’re team is always important too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I put Rath in the meta, you can put Pendles in.

Do it Red, I believe in you <3.

3 Likes

Pendles isn’t really viable. He’s balanced, but they are better assassins that play a better role then him.

I was surprised by Pendles kit, i assumed that a stealth assassin would definitely have two things. 1. A cheap ass long stun and 2. Huge burst damage. Guess its just MMO’s that do that.

2 Likes

why isn’t pendles viable? Because Deande exists.

2 Likes

Are you saying that we should remove Deande to make Pendles viable? Because that sounds like a GREAT idea!

2 Likes

Pendles doesn’t really “dive.” That would imply his main job is to be on the frontline; diving is something frontliners occasionally do for a high risk-high reward outcome. Assassins just flank and do their thing, i suppose you could say they’re always diving because they’re in the middle of their enemies, but not really.

If he attacks someone, it’s pretty obvious (unless it’s just to finish off someone with two or three melee hits. A full injection and more than three melee hits draws a lot of attention, or if you’re uncloaked and attacking for over 3-4 seconds). So, naturally, the team would direct fire on him really quickly, maybe a stun or slow, and he’s dead in nearly an instant.

I can easily say that I’m one of the very few that used to perform amazingly with Pendles against skilled opponents. This is the only Battleborn that takes a lot more player’s skill than any other character In this game.

To do very well against skilled opponents, it takes a lot attention to details including tracking down opponent’s location, skill cool down and animation which none of the other characters require. It’s very exhausting. Without those skills, Pendles easily gets shut down against competent opponents.

As a side note, all the horrible Pendles players like to start their combo with Injection

3 Likes

No we should remove pendles so he can stop trying.

2 Likes

All the snek wants is to be viable :cry:

1 Like

As a side note, all the horrible Pendles players like to start their combo with Injection

Please be joking. If not, explain.

1 Like

I have explained in detailed the most effective way to play with Pendles on other threads. I’ll just summarize it for you. Injection is way better used for the following purposes:

• Securing kills by preventing an enemy from escaping/getting out of melee range (in conjunction with Cobra Strike Helix)
  • Escaping by reaching new heights and platforms. It becomes even better when taking the helix to jump higher than normal (forgot the name…)
  • Chain slowing opponents

When Injection is used for engaging, you’re missing out Pendles full potential. You risk on easily getting killed (if you are revealed or prevented from going into stealth again) and opponents can easily get away from melee range and kite you.

2 Likes

Also you lose your escape and short your time to try to finish of someone.

Pendles is a mix of support, oportunist and disrupter.

Support: destroy and build to fortify your push.
Oportunist: right time to strike, doesnt mean to hunt low hp targets. Lets say the enemy is pushing and leave Beatrix alone in the back lines, she used both skills; now is the right moment to punish her.
Disrupter: the enemy now need to make a decision of stop the push to aid Beatrix or let her die and go into 4v5. Also there are some players who love to chase pendles for no reason.

3 Likes

These are general things though that need to be taken into account by everyone though.

To use an example; Kelvin.

If you want to have a successful Sublimate, you’ll need to be wary of where the opponents are, possible retreating/dodging options they have, which interruption options they have and when someone’s using a skill if you want to interrupt that yourself.

Take if you want to go for Orendi specifically for instance, but they have a Ghalt as well. Then you need you need to be know whether Orendi have Nullify ready to dodge, make sure Ghalt can’t use his hook within 5 seconds for instance depending on how deep you need to go, make sure they’re in a relatively good position for your team to follow up and possible time it just right to possibly interrupt a Paradigm Shift which you may save your Sublimate for.

It can, I’d argue, be just as difficult to play other characters against their hard respective counters as it is for Pendles. And some just plainly struggle to survive without hard counters (just like Pendles) such as El Dragòn and Miko.