[SOLVED][ART] XnView/GIMP DDS export

Clicking the eye makes it not visible, where as clicking it to not be blue (selected) is different.

Alternatively… (right-click menu)

Working on image layers:

Working on alpha layer (while image is active):

By clicking on the two previews (outlined in blue below), you can choose which layer (alpha vs. image) you are editing.

You can even go so far as to disable or only show alpha or image:

I’ll let you play around with those options for the sake of not posting so many images.

The “eyeball” and the “blue selection” are separate entities which mean different things. You can have Alpha visible, but not selected for editing. Eyeball visible, but layer unselected (white). Same for the other channels.

It doesn’t change anything. Layers selected or not, as soon as I make the alpha layer invisible, nothing is appearing anymore ! I simply can’t edit the rgb layers because I can’t see what’s in it !

I really don’t understand ! I’m beginning to wonder if the last Gimp version is bugged or what oO (not that it’s important for me as I use PhotoShop, but still, it’s always good to have several options)

Edit : just to add some precision to what I say, I’m trying to edit an existing tga or png file

Edit: not sure why the first 4 images came out normal, but the last few came out all oversized… Probably a forum image rescaling thing.

This will allow you to edit the alpha layer:

This will allow you to edit the image layer:

Make sure that if you want to edit the image layer, that “Edit Layer Mask” is not checked (and that it is checked if you do want to edit the alpha layer).

Don’t play with the channels at all, unless you want to only edit the R, G, and/or B channels.

pfiouuu, that’s complicated ! oO
And how can I do to see the RGB layers without the alpha effect ?
(sorry for all those questions :confused: )

like that :

click if you only see a white square, the forum is bugging all hell oO

I think the GIMP developers want you to work with masks instead. Every layer can have its own mask, and they work just like how you think “alpha layers” should work. I.e. you can enable/disable them, and work on them separately from the main image.

It is not until the very last step before exporting the image that you should convert the mask into an alpha channel. It took me about an hour to figure this out.

Yes, it’s seems so… but editing an existing image is a pain. I don’t even understand how we can get back the rgb layers only oO

I’m pretty sure you can split the alpha channel from the rest of the image and turn it into the layer’s mask. Off the top of my head I forgot how though.

Yes, I “think” that it’s the method explained above. I managed to have the alpha separated like that. But the rgb layers are still a mystery for me, as the transparency effect is still applied to it, even when the alpha mask created is desactivated…
Can I say I hate Gimp ? ^^

Go to Layers > Mask. You have three options there:

1. Show mask
  2. Edit mask
  3. Disable mask

If the mask is disabled and you still see a transparent effect, then you may need to Layers > Transparency > Remove Alpha Channel. Or, you may have selected the wrong layer.

Post some screenshots of what you’re looking at.

I believe there’s an option somewhere to ‘decompose’ the image, breaking the rgb channels into seperate layers, and another option to recompose it. I may be thinking of a different program, though.

Sometimes I generate RGB channels separately from the Alpha channel. Or I need to use a different program to edit a channel. In those cases, being able to split the channels apart and save them to disk individually would come in handy.

The Colors > Components > menu has relevant tools to recompose an image and to perform other channel related operations. That said, I never use the Channels toolbox or Color Components menu.

Transparency can be destructively edited with the eraser tool or select > delete, or non-destructively edited by using a layer mask. You can also non-destructively edit a layer’s overall transparency using the “Opacity” slider in the layers toolbox (This slider works for layer groups as well).

You can lock a layer’s color channel(s) or alpha channel by selecting the layer and clicking the appropriate image next to “Lock” in the Layers menu. Accidentally locking one of these is a common “gotcha” mistake.

ok, but like this we can’t edit the 3 rgb layer together like in photoshop (lsame image without the alpha layer).
And for that, I think I’ve found a way :

• follow the method given by @radar3301 to add the alpha layer as a mask
  • right-click a second time on the main layer and do “delete alpha layer”
  • right-click again : with “Show Layer Mask” and “Edit Layer Mask” unselected, and “Disable Layer Mask” selected, you’ll be able to edit only the RGB channel, like in Photoshop !

But still, I found the process very complicated for something so “basic”…

That’s still more complicated than it needs to be! lol. I’ll see if I can upload a video…

Edit: @Bitvenom: I know you’re probably the wrong guy to tag about this, but what’s up the forum’s select-quote-reply function killing new lines? (edit: @joekgbx?)

[quote=“Dwarfinator, post:34, topic:1513233”]
but like this we can’t edit the 3 rgb layer together like in photoshop
[/quote] That’s one reason I don’t use the channels toolbox.

I think locking the alpha channel (see the last paragraph in my previous post) will give the functionality you want. Un-selecting the alpha channel in the Channels toolbox should do the same thing.

Or do you simply want everything on a white background? For that you just add a new layer of pure white below all the other layers (and delete the white layer before exporting if you want to retain the transparency).

I apologize in advance for the terrible voice-over instructional quality of this video. I had a much better “first-draft” version, if you will, but I pressed the wrong hot-key and cut myself off mid-recording… :frowning:

I’ll edit this post when the video finally finishes uploading.

Edit: Here we go!

2 Likes

Nope, doesn’t work either. Unselecting the alpha channel doen’t change anything.
I just want the rgb channels, without the transparency effect, that’s all ^^
It’s so easy to do in Photoshop that it’s just silly how it’s a nightmare to do in Gimp !

“Without the transparency effect” could mean a dozen things. You can hide it, you can exclude it from editing, you can decompose the image into separate layers, you can move it to a layer mask, you can underlay a solid color, and you can totally remove it (RGBA to RGB). I don’t know Photoshop, and I don’t know what feature(s) you’re trying to reproduce, but I’m sure you can do it in GIMP.

The picture you uploaded in this post looks like you added a layer of white below the original image and merged them together. To do the same, I already said “…just add a new layer of pure white below all the other layers…” If you want to destructively remove the transparency, merge those layers. Alternatively, you can select your desired background color in the toolbox, right click the layer, and select Remove Alpha Channel. That will destructively remove the alpha channel by underlaying the background color you chose.

I’ve tried to explain the various aforementioned features. Do not speed-read my posts. Watch Radar’s video. If none of this is quite what you’re looking for, you’ll have to explain in more detail what you want to do (or not do) with the alpha channel.