[SOLVED] Command line character limit

Is there a way top get around the 260 character limit in the Target field of a shortcut’s properties? I’m running out of space. Thanks.

[edit]

I can’t seem to start the game from a batch file.

That should work, try running it from an command line window.

1 Like

Changing drives and directories, as well as using an environmental variable, before running the program made it work.

For instance:

e:
cd %HWRM%\Bin\Release
HomeworldRM.exe
pause

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Me too, when I put my mod folder on dropbox (which meant command line contains one address for the game’s exe and another full address for the mod folder) and at the same time attempted to launch 360 degrees game full off additional parameters.
…And my lame solution was just putting dropbox folder right to the C’s root, which made the address shorter. Sorry, nothing clever here.

2 Likes

I remember @BitVenom has mentioned that there’s a way about writing those commandline parameters in a txt file and let the game read that file… I can’t remember exactly how to do that though…

1 Like

Could someone walk me through this process? I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I know a little about running batch files but not all.

What I’m trying to do is run some mods from the DATAWORKSHOPMODS folder (2.3PlayersPatch, nounitcapcampaign, nobuildlimits) along with some tweaks I made to the SP campaign…

Reasoning: I’m not looking to unpack any MOD.BIG files. I’d like to leave them as they were intended.

1 Like

Try this:

-scriptFile <file?>

I think I need a ‘lot’ more info… :wink:

I think you would put that as your command line flag with being the path to a text file containing your command line options. Then you can get past the character limit.

First you will need to create a file anywhere on your computer (For example, on your desktop)
You can call this file anything you want, but for this example lets call it ‘params.txt’. This is the file you will add the command line arguments to.

For loading a single player campaign, use the following commands
HW1
-dlccampaign HW1Campaign.big -campaign HomeworldClassic -moviepath DataHW1Campaign

HW2
-dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big -campaign Ascension -moviepath DataHW2Campaign

For loading a workshop mod, use (Path to <filename>.big starting from ‘HomeworldRM\DataWorkshopMODs’)
-workshopmod <???>\<mod-id>\<filename>.big

For loading a mod big, use (<filename>.big located in ‘HomeworldRM\Data’)
-mod <filename>.big

For loading an uncompressed mod (<foldername> located in ‘HomeworldRM’)
-moddatapath <foldername>

For loading extra file located in ‘HomeworldRM\Data’
-overridebigfile

For multiple mods, they can be seperated by a comma. NO SPACES
-workshopmod <???>\<mod-id>\<filename>.big,<???>\<mod-id>\<filename>.big

Once you have created/edited/saved ‘params.txt’, locate ‘HomeworldRM.exe’ (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\bin\release) << Default location
Right-click the file > Send to > Desktop
This will create a new shortcut on your desktop, right-click that shortcut and select Properties. In the window that shows, add to the end of ‘Target’ -params <location-of-params.txt> (Example: -params c:\users\<username>\Desktop\params.txt)
If the location of ‘params.txt’ contains spaces, you will need to surround the path with double quotes (Example: -params “c:\users\<user name>\Desktop\params.txt”)

For an example of params.txt

-dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big
-campaign Ascension
-moviepath DataHW2Campaign
-workshopmod 76561197970663046\1190476337\filename.big,76561197970663046\472548772\filename.big

(BitVenom’s post using params, Now just wondering if extra params can be used in-game [Spawn_Ship_0 is not a command line argument to my knowledge])

4 Likes

Thanks! This is GREAT! Now this thread really ‘is’ complete.

1 Like