I’ve taken my first crack at modding (read: just changing some numbers) for HWR. I settled on something silly and simple: Make the Kushan ion frigate OP by making it cheaper, tougher, and giving the ion beam a substantial firing arc.
The problem is that I cannot get the mod to load using any method I’ve come across for modding HWR. I unencrypted and extracted the shp and weap files, edited them, repacked them into a mod .big (using old HW2 tools) named Superion.big, and…
- Dropped that .big into HomeworldRemastered/Data, then launched with a shortcut using -mod and -overridebigfiles.
- Dropped the .big and a keeper.txt into HomeworldRemastered/DataSuperion, then launched with -moddaatapath.
- Attempted to launch with loose files in HomeworldRemastered folder.
- Created a “dummy” Workshop mod with a string of numbers in the folder name and the text file therein to get the mod to show up in the HWR launcher’s mods screen (it didn’t).
- Replaced the .big of a working mod with my .big, renaming it to that mod for the purposes of testing - launched with that .big and the changes did not stick (e.g.: the cost of the frigate was unchanged)
And now I’m at a loss. Do I absolutely need to upload to Workshop and go from there?