Something about HW2R in the beta build causes Access Violations for me

Using 2.0 and 2.1 in the HW1R campaign was fine. I had one crash the entire time, and it wasn’t an Access Violation. Since I began playing the HW2R campaign with the beta branch, the game has crashed about twelve times so far. Most of those seem to be when trying to load a save from the middle of a level or when I am closing the program.

I’ve verified the cache, and I have no mods running.

I uploaded a .zip file containing the most recent crash logs here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/0jqego

Here’s the text for the HwRM.log since it’s fairly small:

Fri Jun 17 09:11:51 2016 Version 2.201, Build Number 34, Changelist Number 1241210 Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHomeworld2.big' Loaded Archive: 'HW1Ships.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHW1Ships.big' Loaded Archive: 'HW2Ships.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHW2Ships.big' Loaded Archive: 'HWBackgrounds.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHWBackgrounds.big' UTIL -- filepath failure, path doesn't exists 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data\locale\English' Loaded Archive: 'English.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateEnglish.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\Compatibility.big' Loaded Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\HW2Campaign.big' Loaded DLC Campaign Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\HW2Campaign.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHW2Campaign.big' Loaded Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishHW2Campaign.big' Loaded DLC Campaign Localized Data Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishHW2Campaign.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateEnglishHW2Campaign.big' Loaded Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishSpeechHW2Campaign.big' Loaded DLC Campaign Speech Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishSpeechHW2Campaign.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateEnglishSpeechHW2Campaign.big' Loaded Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\MusicHW2Campaign.big' Loaded DLC Campaign Music Archive: 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\MusicHW2Campaign.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateMusicHW2Campaign.big' Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder GAME -- Using player profile Migz - DH Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1 Display: (0, 0, 1920, 1080) - (0, 0) Switching to a 1920x1080 32bit mode GL Info: 4.5 - 4.5.0 NVIDIA 368.39 GL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation GL Renderer: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2 GL Part ID: 570 GL Part EX: /PCIe/SSE2 Loaded Archive: 'EnglishSpeech.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateEnglishSpeech.big' Loaded Archive: 'Music.big' Failed to Load Archive '..\..\DATAUPDATES\UpdateMusic.big' SOUND -- created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created SOUND -- created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created SOUND -- created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created SOUND -- created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created Build name: Data path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data Font Load: data:UI\Font\Blender.rcf, 1920,1080 Font Attr: 14, Biu No mapping for font 'Blender' - using 'default' Resetting fp PC control word. CmdLine: -facetCount 24 -BACK_FOV 70 -facetAutoFOV 180 -dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big -campaign Ascension -moviepath DataHW2Campaign Race Filtering: SINGLEPLAYER rules - @SinglePlayer 12 Races Discovered Font Load: data:UI\Font\SmallFonts7.rcf, 1920,1080 Font Attr: 14, Biu Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture () Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type GameBalanceScreen when loading section GameBalanceScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\GameBalanceScreen.lua Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type DeveloperScreen when loading section DeveloperScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\DeveloperScreen.lua luaplayer 144: Player_UnrestrictResearchOption: unable to unrestrict (DestroyerHealthUpgrade1) parameter: 0 stack traceback: 1: function `Enable_ResearchOptions' at line 202 [string ""] 2: function `Rule_EnableResearchAfterIntelevent' at line 364 [string ""] luaplayer 144: Player_UnrestrictResearchOption: unable to unrestrict (DestroyerMAXSPEEDUpgrade1) parameter: 0 stack traceback: 1: function `Enable_ResearchOptions' at line 203 [string ""] 2: function `Rule_EnableResearchAfterIntelevent' at line 364 [string ""] Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture () Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type GameBalanceScreen when loading section GameBalanceScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\GameBalanceScreen.lua Error, LoadScreen failed to screen of type DeveloperScreen when loading section DeveloperScreen from file DATA:\UI\NewUI\Developer\DeveloperScreen.lua parameter: <statement> expected; last token read: `#' at line 220 in string "?" SCAR: error reading in lua state buffer from saved game. -- FATAL EXIT -- scar/573:! --stack trace-- Restoring video mode Display: (0, 0, 100, 100) - (8, 30)

Are these saves from before the patch_preview build? Or made with it?

I began the campaign and completed three missions with 2.1 before moving to the beta branch, but I’ve completed 7 missions now while using the beta branch, so a mixture of both, but I didn’t experience any Access Violations in the first three missions.

I just received a new version of the beta build. I’ll update this thread with new developments.

That build (2.202) had zero code changes - it was mostly just merging over new balance tweaks… so I wouldn’t expect it to affect you. In addition, it may be that due to the flags changes in the ‘preview’ build config, that S&L isn’t stable - but will be in the public release. We won’t burn too many cycles on it right now regardless.