Splash Damage clarification

I know its been discussed, however it still raises some questions. A full list of all weapon types that actually do splash damage would help TREMENDOUSLY. I have a vladof assault rifle that is a laser, it has +splash damage without a secondary fire mode it does not seem to cause splash damage? Or if it does I do not notice it, can someone clarify or if there is a list I somehow can not find, share this with me please.

i think they kinda missed the mark with guns like that, an alternate fire mode that turns it into a laser shot gun would be super sweet.

I don’t think they are too far off with gun design, I just wish it were more clear as to what is what. Like for the love of everything gaming give us a tooltip as to the type of damage a weapon deals, i.e kinetic, splash, and so on. We have it for elements give it to us for non elemental. Would not be that complicated to add.

2 Likes

This took years to put together for borderlands 2, we don’t even have a test dummy

1 Like

Kevin?

No, it’s not the same. Testing all them on him would make it 10 times longer

1 Like

Equip Fire in the Skag Den on Moze. if you see that fire damage number proc, it’s splash. If the weapon is already fire, equip means of destruction and watch and see if you get ammo or nades back.

Not to revive a dead topic, but will an artifact that increases aoe damage affect splash damage? Gearbox these are the things we NEED to know…

AOE damage is splash damage

they are 2 distinctly different things in this game. As there are modifiers that increase only area of effect damage, i just dont know if the game treats splash damage as area of effect damage.

1 Like

They are named differently, but they function the exact same. In this case its a distinction without a difference. Unless you have an example of AOE affecting something that splash also doesn’t.

(Also to answer your original question yes it does).

Go to the Moze section and you’ll see several threads complaining about the recent change for some grenades that were doing Splash damage and changed to AOE damage. In BL3 the two stats are different.

1 Like

AFAIK they still count as splash damage. They just don’t activate vampyr (consistently) and MoD (inconsistently?).
The tendrils definitely still scale with splash damage boosts, at least with the storm front and Quasar.

1 Like

The first explosion proccs the skills, but the continuous beam does not. Some have reported the skills not working at all, but that is the bug. When there is no bug other grenades work and the first explosion works. This was mentioned in the patch notes. It was the result of a change for an achievement. It caused this unintended result, but as I have been saying to people in the Moze section: There are more than just three grenades in the game.

2 Likes

If they told you what splash damage actually was they couldn’t use the confusion to stealth nerf things :smirk:

1 Like

Technically it’s splash (non-directional) versus beam (directional) damage. Both are versions of AoE damage.

|----Beam
AoE–|
           |----Splash

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction.

1 Like

But the beam is still scaling with splash damage tho.

So players tend to use splash and AoE interchangeably and - to a large extent - they are. However, it turns out that they are not exactly the same in terms of how the effects are coded internally. Something that boosts AoE damage could be described as boosting both splash and beam damage; it’s just that item card text hasn’t always recognised the distinction either. It looks like it’s going to be confusing for a bit!

1 Like

is “grenade” damage the same as “splash” damage or “AOE” damage?