Steam cloud sync stops game from launching

I’ve disabling cloud sync on both Steam and the game, despite this the game insists on checking cloud sync, the game logo pops up and then shuts down only to repeat the process by itself - until I stop it manually.

Tried offline mode as well and restarted the PC for every change I’ve made, even if it shouldn’t matter.

I wonder if your local game files are corrupted? Like if you turn cloud sync back on (such that the game works), quit, and give Steam enough time to sync back up. You can tell if it’s dialed or not by looking in Steam (see below). I play at two locations, so I turned sync back on. Here’s what that sync looks like for me (where the “Retry Sync” works):

1 Like

The thing is, the game doesn’t start. I never get the chance to quit because I never get to the menu, never get to the mandatory intro videos, and never get the black screen as the game starts. I’ve tried turning the cloud sync on and off in various manner (e.g. cloud-off-quit-steam-turn-on, turnoff-cloud-quit-steam-restart-pc-turnon-cloud). I get the retry sync but it doesn’t matter when I press because it does the same thing.

All it’s giving me is regardless the context is the cloud sync window, then the game logo pops up, assuming it crashes because it shuts down shortly, repeats the cycle on and on.

Edit: I’ve verified the game files twice and reinstalled it several times.

Maybe the sync file (or your game files) are borked?

Move all the files in your save game folder to somewhere safe. Here’s my path for Steam in Windows: C:\Users\Adabiviak\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 3\Saved\SaveGames\76561197970447002

With no files in there, disable cloud sync (so it doesn’t try to pull a potentially wrecked save game file back in), and launch the game. If it still hangs, it may not be related to cloud/save game issues.

1 Like