Story Time with Jythri

This morning, at least it was for me, we received a surprise visit from @Jythri at the [Battleborn] Discord server. https://discord.gg/battleborn

During the conversation, he provided us with a bit of lore and backstory, regarding the following topics.

On LLC Company Holiday 17

====================================================
I love the idea that the LLC, in their multi-hundred year history, have only had 16 previous company holidays

On Battleplan Lore

Got to give lots of props to our junior writer, Dante Silva. He’s been writing the weekly lore updates, and I think he’s been doing a fantastic job.

On Future Lore

If I ever write shorts or novels in this universe, exploring the Galilea/Ambra backstory is one of my top areas of interest.

Also, some six-book series on the history of the Jennerit Empire, because I think they’re exceptionally interesting.

On Galilea and Ambra’s Conflict

Incomplete is correct.
So, remember Empire Strikes Back where Darth is trying to fight Luke and maneuver him into the carbonite chamber?

When I think of the epic fight between Galilea and Ambra, there’s -some- of that that happens there.

Galilea was in the process of destroying the Sustainment Engine. Ambra found her, in the act. Confused and betrayed, Ambra makes the split decision that she’s loyal to the Empire first, over her friendship. Fights Galilea.

During the fight, Ambra gets the upper hand and maneuvers Galilea into the Sustainment Chamber and starts it up.

But either because it was partially damaged, or because Ambra had second thoughts, or both… the process is incomplete.

Ambra is impulsive. And now, a woman who has been probably her closest friend ever has been uncovered as an infiltrator and spy…she hulks out.

Ambra, full of rage, dives into the fight with the intent to destroy Galilea. Hurt, rage, anger…all of those things.

I don’t think Ambra was nearly as matronly before the conflict with Galilea. It really hurt Ambra. Changed her. Made her more self-righteous and distant. Empire first.

It grants immortality by fundamentally altering the structure of matter in the body. Ambra is a “chief scientist” (aka “priestess”) of the device. She could kill with it as easily as sustain with it.

Or, use it to create abominations or probably even eternal pain.

On Sustainment

We’ve never touched on it being used for other purposes. As long as the Empress oversaw the process, they probably kept it’s purpose fairly singular and “holy”.

It takes a LOT of energy, yes. I wouldn’t say that it quite consumes the stars. The Jenneirt might be willing to do that, but it’s not as practical as just harvesting renewable energy. Takes longer, but can do more.

Tempest

One of of the things we never really did as much with as I wanted was to go into what The Exodus is. Familiar with it?

One of my few great disappointments is that the skybox of the Tempest maps doesn’t accomplish what it should have in showing how BIG that thing is.

Imagine Tempest is the size of a cantelope, and Exodus is your hand gripping it.

It can extend and re-shape some, yes.

So, did you learn anywhere (can’t remember if we got this in) that Tempest is tidally locked?

So, man…we really missed so much cool detail in the final cut. Editing is a bitch.
Okay. Story time.

Tempest is the original ancestral home of the Jennerit as a race, before they called themselves Jennerit. (The Tempestian Empire, in fact.)
They were one of the more successful empires in a highly advanced far-future universe.
After a series of tumults and wars, Lenore discovered sustainment, established the Jennerit Empire with herself as the undying empress, and established the new center of power on the planet Jennar.

Tempest has always been important for them, but for nearly 20k years, it wasn’t the “throneworld”, the seat of power.

In developing the technology for making sustainment more frequent, Exodus became the pinnacle of the “energy harvesting” technologies. A massive, mobile space platform, with most of it’s function being to hover over a planet or star and collect energy.
The Sustainment Engine was moved with it, as it was just…well…convenient.
As the universe was darkened, they had to move it a number of times to collect energy from different places, growing more and more desperate as the resources were lost.
Tempest was it’s final resting place, though it had been there before.
One of the thigns Exodus is capable of (depending on planetary mass) is stopping the rotation of a planet.

In doing so, it creates a “tidally locked” situation, super-heating one side and super-cooling the other.
Only the equatorial region remains habitable, and it’s bombarded by high winds and storms.

Decades ago, in planning for this situation, the entire equator of Tempest was filled with massive wind turbine generators.

The cities (including Echelon) were elevated above the extremly turbulent surface winds, and attached to the cities below by massive umbilical elevator/tether cables, capable of rapidly transmitting the collected energy up into Exodus.
We have some awesome concept somewhere for that.

Sustainment

Sustainment is a one time thing. It’s permanent.
It leaves you in a state sort of like how Tolkien describes his elves.

You don’t age, you don’t get sick, your “life state” is sort of frozen in time.
You are, however, still killable.

They don’t ever die of natural causes.

Origins of all the races

You’ll definitely want to play all of the “Heart of Ekkunar”.

Alani

Alani is half-Helician, half-Human
Helicians are long lived, not immortal

Sustainment

Sustained don’t get sick. They don’t age. They heal rapidly from most wounds.
Their “matter” strongly wants to stay in the shape it was in when sustained. But you decapitate them? Yeah, that’ll do it.

Post Heliophage / Rendain

The Heliophage absolutely had to get stopped. And [Rendain’s] “end” was, more or less, a consequence of stopping that process.

Again, play “Heart of Ekkunar”

Tempest Concepts

Exodus Concepts

That lived on the whiteboard in the narrative office for two years

Hmm. I’m not sure we ever did official concept art on Exodus itself.
It was always going to be a “we’ll stick that in the Skybox at the end of the project”. And then, you get close to the end, and "we’re out of time to do anything that immense"
sighs
Just Creative Director things.

How Old Is Alani

Randy leans over, “Hey Dante…how old is Alani?”

DANTE: “Wellll…ummmm…she’s Helician, so they can live a long time…but…umm…let’s look at this doc…”

Rath Date of Birth and Appearance

Rath was born on Jennar on 17025.334 cr
So, he’s 2933

Hmm. I didn’t actually mark his sustainment date.

Given his apparent age, I would put it around 17,060
maybe 17,065
He’s locked in at around “40”

On Growth Rates of Different Species

The Jennerit race, naturally, have far more human-like lifespan and aging, unless they’re sustained.
Helicians live for 3000-4000 years without any other support.

Aelfrin, I think go to 1000-1200 or so

Aplian and Jennerit are what I would both consider demi-human. So, average human lifespan. In this future universe, with advanced tech, that might stretch a human to 150-175

Aplians would be on the high end of that, as they sub-evolved on a higher-gravity, very mountainous world
Oh, did I saw a few centuries for Jennerit? That’s canon then.

Ooh. You guys made me pull up my “Races of Battleborn” doc.

Ghalt is from Aplia.

Earth doesn’t really exist. We’ve never definitively said whether this is a completely fictional universe, or whether it’s our universe just far, far in the future.

On the Codex Reckoning Calendar System

Remember, C.R. Calendar year zero is marked by a few very extra-ordinary things, one of those being the natural death of the star Celestis, leaving 1 million active stars tracked by the Eldrid on Codex.

So, year Zero is big for several reasons: 1 million stars left, Varelsi first appear and begin darkening uninhabited systems, and Lenore discovers the science of Sustainment.

Incidentally, Rendain is also born on y1

On Rendain being the second person to be Sustained

He -might- be the second. I just never recorded any between Lenore and Rendain. I’d have to think about that for a while. There’s probably an awesome “Origins of the Jennerit” short story there.

Alani

Alani, btw, is very very young. She’s 19-20.
Genetically modified Half-Helician.

SCR

SCR is based on the orbital cycle and day/night cycle of the planet Codex, which was the Eldrid center of power and huge repository of knowledge.
My narrative conceit is that I just set it to “earth cycle” to make it easier on all of us to understand time periods
Shayne…human. Let me look that up…

On Releasing More Lore

What if I do like a race per week starting in the new year? Add it as supplemental lore in the battle plan?
I’ll expand the entries a bit…treat it more like RPG reference

On Shayne

Oh! Shayne has a full name! I forgot!
Shayne Aura Mander
She named Aurox after her middle name "Aura ROX!"
Mandersmash is the concept artist’s nickname
Yep. Amanda Christensen was the concept artist. She looks a LOT like Shayne.
She was born on a rogue colony within the Detritus ring. She’s 16.
Don’t have much more detail than that on Shayne.

On Caldarius

Caldarius is one I’m holding a bit close to the chest.

Only things I’ll really say there is that he’s not a robot. He’s not Jennerit. He is Kemessian.

While we’re on lifespans…they live like 300-400 years

So much fun stuff. I love the Kemessians. The kelvites are fun too. As well as the varimorphs.
I’d love to do a novelette on the varimorphs.

On Varelsi

We definitely talk a lot about the Varelsi and darkening and such in “Heart of Ekkunar”

On Varimorphs

They have genders. How many, and how they reproduce…that’s something that needs some exploration. One of the reasons I’d love to write about them.

On Varelsi Hierarchy

We’ve never said. :smiley: They definitely HAVE organization, though.

On Varelsi Origins

Are the Varelsi one race or a collection of races that have been corrupted by the Void?
Both.

On Orendi

Orendi absolutely identifies as a female.
Currently, at least.

On Mellka

Mellka is our other half-breed.

And she’s kind of our “child of two worlds”. She’s half human, and she’s always had close associations with the Peacekeepers. But there’s something deep within her that calls to her Eldrid heritage.

On Eldrid

So, the more “core” Eldrid, like Miko, would see that as wandering from the true Observer spirit of the Eldrid.

On Humans

Human is just the species that most resembles you and me. We don’t include “earth” per se. As far as the denizens of the Battleborn universe know, humans inhabited several thousand worlds, and have over time broken into demi-human groups, like the Jennerit and the Aplians.

On Thorn + Montana and book club

Oh, then you should play “Montana and the Demon Bear”

On Shayne

Shayne lived in a mining base for a time named “Septimus Six”

On Aelfrin

The Aelfrin are very matriarchal. They trace their genealogy through the mothers, because they feel they make a bigger contribution to the genetic makeup of the being.

“Graft of” is just their way to say “child of”, really. In some ways, sexual reproduction is very similar to “grafting” a tree, right? Take a part of this, put it forcibly into that, get a new fruit.

Then why is it separate from “Daughter of”?

Oh wait…yeah. that’s right.
Sometimes, I can’t quite keep every little touch in my head.

Huh. So I did make a big deal with “graft of” in that lore.
I’ll have to think about what that means, precisely.

OH
I know what it meant.

No no…I think that Teshak Emeksiku had no daughters.
Teshka Emeksiku, rather

No. Wife of the son. Not a natural daughter. Daughter-in-law.

On Scaly Dragon-like dog in Thorn concept art

Aw. the scalewolf. :frowning: Now I’m sad.

On Thorn Lineage

Pemenukia is the daughter-in-law of Teshka, not the daughter.

On How Kemessians Reproduction

Very carefully.

On Races

You know, I never did an evolutionary time line of all the races.

We definitely establish that Eldrid and Jennerit descend from the Aztanti
Sorry. Aelfrin, not Eldrid.

I consider Aelfrin the “core” Eldrid race. But the Eldrid are comprised of hundreds of races, in truth.

Thorn Concepts

Her Ult, if you watch the very first demo video we did, shot out a wolf instead of a green energy ball.

On Scalewolf Ultimate

We modeled and animated that thing. And then cut it, because it was hard to read on screen, and …you know… AI is hard.

On Magna Carta

Not in this round of operations. If I have my way, that’s a major theme for the future.

Thorn Concept (the first)

On Caldarius Concepting

Caldarius was an interesting concept. He was concept in a modeling tool (zbrush), not on paper.

On Kleese Rath Fan-fic

Yes. Kleese wrote vampire fanfic of Rath to mock him.

On Magna Carta

The short answer on the Great Severance is that is when the Magna Carta deemed the chances of the universe being saved had just gone to hell. Future profit projections were suddenly so dismal that it detached itself from the magnet.

On Boldur’s Age

On Boldur. He’s 2,533. Born in 17,425 c.r.

On Magna Carta Getting Sent To the Void

Maybe. I never said that. :smiley: But that wasn’t the day he caused the Great Severance. The fate of the Magna Carta remains unknown.

On Solus Day

The Heliophage was destroyed on 19.958.350. In our terms, December 15th is day 350 on our calendar. So. Today.

On Ambra’s Age

Yes. Ambra is 11,753

On Miko’s Age

Now…Miko in some ways -could- be considered the oldest.

The bud we know currently as Miko spawned in 19,209, just after the War of Being started. Yes.

But the original Mikollopria first gained sentience over a million years before

On Miko Sharing Memories of the original Mikollopria

Some of them but imperfect and dimming now that it’s cut off from the colony

another fun thing to explore at some point is how much Miko is now asserting individualism compared to the original buds

On Writing Battleborn Fanfiction

It’s sorta like a year ago, I was telling someone I wanted to write some fanfiction for some of the lore I couldn’t include in the main game.

And they said, “Uh Randy…that’s just fiction, when you write it.”

I have a couple of blurbs. I have a seven page short of Phoebe forging Addonexus.

On Writing Characters

I wrote most of the character backgrounds and in-game lore items late at night in October-November last year.

On Deande / Whiskey Foxtrot

They’re pretty discreet with their relationship.
You can earn his “Blue Devil” title in the Update, though.

On Constable Cuddles

A pug, I believe.

The idea behind cuddles is that Rendain is so visually intimidating that it is often hard for him tohave a normal conversation with his underlings.

So, he has this dog around him all the time that can be handed to someone to help them calm down enough so they can talk to him.

On Rendain

Rendain is…complicated.
He is very VERY Jennerit.
He embodies their core ethos better than Lenore, in some ways.

On Harresburras

Harresburras are small marmot-like creatures. Imagine something between a rabbit and a marmot.

On The Giant Status with Shields in Echelon

No comment on giant guy with shields.

Man, i can’t wait to talk again after the Heart of Ekkunar.

On Thaddeus’ Appearance of a Leopard Seal

Hard to tell, but great question. There’s probably some resemblance there.
But Thaddeus is a Lorrian, right? They’re not completely seal-like.

On VO

You know Galilea and Nova are the same VA, right?
Coleen Clinkenbeard. Who was also Lilith in Borderlands. She’s amazing.

On Mellka’s Orientation

I think so. Shayne, definitely so.

On Reyna

Reyna has two normal eyes. That’s just an enhanced HUD device she wears
Reyna is another who doesn’t talk about her sexual orientation at all. Much to Ghalt’s chagrin.
They’ve flirted a lot over the years. Ghalt, though, is too caught up in his work. As is Reyna.

On Nova Going Mad

Nova is holding it together better than most, thanks to Ghalt. He has that affect on people.

On Kleese’s Ferret

OH! The Blargavian Nose Ferret? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh man. Yeah, we’ll have to come back to that. That was a late night, coffee-induced bit of insanity in lore-writing. I needs to appear in game.

Newsflash: Kleese is the biggest troll in the entire universe.

On Kleese’s Dr Status

Hmm. Probably not. I think that was a jab. He’s definitely one of the better human scientists.

On Boldur Title

Yeah, I could kick myself. I forgot to add a “Doctor Professor Boldur” title in the update.

On Caldarius’ Suicidal Tendencies

Great question, actually. He probably was for a time. He’s recovering from a really really bad hundred year imprisonment.

On Caldarius / Phoebe

That’s probably true, yes. Tech is to Phoebe like chocolate is for the rest of us.

On Future Plans

Now that we’re done with the immense huge massive mega Winter Update, I want to spend more time talking and interacting and listening to you guys to find out where we go next.

On Shayne’s Aurox Kill Button

It’s not mechanical, I think the button is just a bluff.

On Caldarius being the last Kemessian

We haven’t specified whether he’s the last Kemessian or not.
Plenty of other Shock Troopers, yes. There were, at least at one point, 999+ divisions of them.

On Character Orientation

General internal canon is that Shayne is gay, Reyna is Bi (but really doesn’t have time for that), and Mellka is still exploring (she’s had a multi-year anger agenda to tick off first)

Galilea and Alani’s Relationship

Galilea barely registers that Alani exists. Until the Heliophage was dealt with, the Battleborn didn’t exactly have a lot of time

Alani is desperate to belong. And (like many Battleborn) has lost so much that she’s looking for anything she can find to help connect to others and her past.

On Rath and Deande

He and Deande (and Ambra to a degree) were all inner circle leadership for hundreds (really thousands) of years together.
So, they are very well acquainted, for certain.
Ambra and Rath are both very sympathetic to Caldarius (you can see that in the lore) and have reasons to be unusually close.

Later today he also mentioned that he’d be sharing some Tempest concept arts after he’s able to dig them up.

Thanx to @Kitru for getting this forum post started, I just volunteered to post it.

Edit 1: Well @Jythri has been at it for 3 hrs now and still going. There’ll probably be alot of updates I’ll do to this page.

Edit 2: Thanks to @lowlines for grabbing all the info and putting it into one doc. I’ll be trimming the chat in 1 hr sections below in replies for people who want to read it.

28 Likes

Very interesting. Especially the hint at the Ekkunar lore bomb coming up. And oh, that’s what happened to Kitru. Was wondering where he went :disappointed:

5 Likes

Is it gone? I checked and couldn’t find his username on the Lore channel. Did I just miss it?

He’s doing it all in the battleborn discussion - it’s more general chatter but with bits of lore buried within.

@lowlines might be interested in this for his website

1 Like

Pretty much all of that is implied in the character lores or the PvE campaign. I’m not sure how I intend to incorporate @Jythri quotes into the Lore Bible yet since they can be said just about anywhere and it can be hard to trace them back to the original point of reference. Maybe they can be called “Jythri Quotes” or “From the Desk of Creative Director Jythri”? I’ll have to think about it, and start tracking down some of his quotes :stuck_out_tongue:

Absolutely love the thread title though. At PAX Aus they have a talk called that where you get a person from the gaming industry up on stage to talk about stuff. I would love to see a Gearbox one at some point or even a panel, and yes, I know its a long trek down to Australia :sob:

@Tokesy97 I hope someone is copying them into a text file :wink:

I think that’s what Kitru is working on for these bits - I showed up late to the party and I’m not scrolling through 3 (maybe 4 or 5 hours) worth of stuff when it’s done.

I just hope the Marketing Ninja’s are feeling kind and festive rather than vengeful and annoyed that Jythri is spilling lore everywhere.

Well as I said, nothing I have read so far is adding anything new, just making some of the in-game breadcrumbs a bit clearer. I just had a look myself and I have no hope of following that conversation O.o

1 Like

Still wish those shadow beasts that keep popping up in Thorn’s concept art had found a way into actual gameplay concept.

Would have made her kit more interesting to me.

2 Likes

Hers is lame now. Always kinda was. Now it’s noticeable

And I forget who always mentions the arm-flicking thing she does when she runs, but I tried her out for the first time and DEAR LORD THAT DRIVES ME MAD!

2 Likes

So here’s the first hour after @Jythri came back from his short lunch break. I trimmed alot of the extra chat out for those that don’t want to read though the whole log on Discord.

Its quite lengthy so good luck.

[details=Summary]jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:01 PM
Sustained don’t get sick. They don’t age. They heal rapidly from most wounds.
Their “matter” strongly wants to stay in the shape it was in when sustained. But you decapitate them? Yeah, that’ll do it.

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:02 PM
then why didn’t they do taht to Rendain?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:02 PM
I’m sure some of them wanted to.
But that’s always the hero’s dilemma, isn’t it?

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:03 PM
they could’ve taken him and put him on trial…

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:03 PM
Is Rendain evil? Should he be killed? or simply stopped?

but they decided to summarily send him into the void

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:03 PM
The Heliophage absolutely had to get stopped. ANd his “end” was, more or less, a consequence of stopping that process.

can you elaborate on that?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:04 PM
Hmm.
I can, but I might hold off on that some. Again, play “HEart of Ekkunar” :smiley:

NatsumeRyu - 12/15/2016 at 12:04 PM
i was just about to complain about missing jythri, lol. at least ill get to read a little whileim at work <3

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:04 PM
So, pretty pictures to distract you instead!

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:05 PM

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:29 PM
Sorry, was interrupted. Hmmm. Exodus concepts?

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:29 PM
yeah, you said you might have some concept art showing the scale of the Exodus

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:29 PM

:smiley:

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:30 PM
That was my circa 2013 whiteboard drawing of Exodus and Tempest

That lived on the whiteboard in the narrative office for two years

spaceclef [PSN - mattbestman] - 12/15/2016 at 12:30 PM
im guessing hot side cold side equator?

@spaceclef [PSN - mattbestman] Yep!

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:31 PM
that’s less “hand and cantaloupe” and more "hand and apple"
unless you’ve got really big hands :stuck_out_tongue:

Leaddybum - 12/15/2016 at 12:31 PM
Randy hands!

TL_Kasteron - 12/15/2016 at 12:31 PM
Montana sized hands

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:31 PM
I do have big hands, actually.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:31 PM
Octave and a fourth on the piano, over the keys.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:32 PM
Hmm. I’m not sure we ever did official concept art on Exodus itself.
It was always going to be a “we’ll stick that in the Skybox at the end of hte project”. And then, you get close to the end, and "we’re out of time to do anything that immense"
sighs
Just Creative Director things.

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:33 PM
btw, to settle a pseudo-debate, how old is Alani?
her stuff lacks dates more than any other character

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:33 PM
Randy leands over, “Hey Dante…how old is Alani?”

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:34 PM
DANTE: “Wellll…ummmm…she’s Helician, so they can live a long time…but…umm…let’s look at this doc…”

Leaddybum - 12/15/2016 at 12:35 PM
Imma let battle dad answer
Ba dum TSHHH

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:35 PM
Battle dad. Heh.

spaceclef [PSN - mattbestman] - 12/15/2016 at 12:36 PM
i wish rath were that old
it would be too perfect

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:36 PM
Rath was born on Jennar on 17025.334 cr

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:37 PM
So, he’s 2933

Leaddybum - 12/15/2016 at 12:37 PM
Thank you based randy
Holy ■■■■ he’s the baby
When was he sustained?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:38 PM
Hmm. I didn’t actually mark his sustainment date.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:38 PM
Given his apparent age, I would put it around 17,060
maybe 17,065
He’s locked in at around “40”

Leaddybum - 12/15/2016 at 12:39 PM
I’m legit so happy abt this. Thank you for your time battledad

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:39 PM
so growth rates of the various species of sophont in the BB universe follow human rates until they hit adulthood and then they slow down?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:39 PM
@Leaddybum There’s probably nowhere that detail exists publicly outside of this chat.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:39 PM
Not quite @Kitru. Depends on the race.
The Jennerit race, naturally, have far more human-like lifespan and aging, unless they’re sustained.
Helicians live for 3000-4000 years without any other support.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:40 PM
Aelfrin, I think go to 1000-1200 or so

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:41 PM
Aplian and Jennerit are what I would both consider demi-human. So, average human lifespan. In this future universe, with advanced tech, that might stretch a human to 150-175

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:42 PM
Aplians would be on the high end of that, as they sub-evolved on a higher-grav, very mountainous world
Oh, did I saw a few centuries for Jennerit? That’s canon then. :smiley:

TL_Kasteron - 12/15/2016 at 12:42 PM
So, you’re saying- Man Mountain is a Man of the Mountains

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:43 PM
Absolutely @TL_Kasteron
Three aplians in Battleborn. :smiley:

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:43 PM
El Dragon, Montana, Ghalt

Yep!

Ooh. You guys made me pull up my “Races of Battleborn” doc.

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:44 PM
woot!

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:44 PM
Ghalt is from Aplia.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:45 PM
Earth doesn’t really exist. We’ve never definitively said whether this is a completely fictional universe, or whether it’s our universe just far, far in the future.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:46 PM
Remember, C.R. Calendar year zero is marked by a few very extra-ordinary things, one of those being the natrual death of the star Celestis, leaving 1 million active stars tracked by the Eldrid on Codex.

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:46 PM
that’s never been revealed to us >.>

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:46 PM
It…um…hasn’t?

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:46 PM
no…

Kaleidodemon - 12/15/2016 at 12:46 PM
It has now. :stuck_out_tongue:

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:47 PM
Oh crap. Everyone be on the alert for marketing ninjas!

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:47 PM
Well, it’s the holidays. I’ll happily fill in general universe lore that’s not tied up too much in upcoming plot spoilers.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:49 PM
So, year Zero is big for several reasons: 1 million stars left, Varelsi first appear and begin darkening uninhabited systems, and Lenore discovers the science of Sustainment.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:49 PM
Incidentally, Rendain is also born on y1

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:49 PM
since Lenore’s reign could easily have begun before consolidation of power
was Rendain the second person Sustained?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:50 PM
Hmm. Probably not. He’s not sustained until y50
Thus, the receding hairline. :smile:

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:51 PM
well, pre-Exodus, you admit that it takes a lot of time to get the energy to Susatin
Sustain*

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:52 PM
Yes @Kitru. He -might- be the second. I just never recorded any between Lenore and Rendain. I’d have to think about that for a while. There’s probably an awesome “Origins of the Jennerit” short story there.

Alani, btw, is very very young. She’s 19-20.

Genetically modified Half-Helician.

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:53 PM
is her “friendship” with Galilea entirely one sided (which it seems to be based upon her lore)?
wesdianboston - 12/15/2016 at 12:53 PM
whatabout shayne where does she comes from?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:53 PM
SCR is based on the orbital cycle and day/night cycle of the planet Codex, which was the Eldrid center of power and huge repository of knowledge.
My narrative conceit is that I just set it to “earth cycle” to make it easier on all of us to understand time periods
Shayne…human. Let me look that up…

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:56 PM
What if I do like a race per week starting in the new year? Add it as supplemental lore in the battle plan?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:56 PM
I’ll expand the entries a bit…treat it more like RPG reference

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:57 PM
Oh! Shayne has a full name! I forgot!

Shayne Aura Mander

Leaddybum - 12/15/2016 at 12:57 PM
MANDER
ARE YOU SERIOUS

Amanda I swear

:smile:

CosmicGayces - 12/15/2016 at 12:57 PM
Their initials are SAM I

She’s everywhere

Kitru - 12/15/2016 at 12:58 PM
care to explain taht reference?

Garland - 12/15/2016 at 12:58 PM
Shaynes full name?

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:58 PM
She named Aurox after her middle name “Aura ROX!”

Leaddybum - 12/15/2016 at 12:58 PM
Mandersmash is the concept artist’s nickname

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:58 PM
Yep. Amanda Christensen was the concept artist. She looks a LOT like Shayne.

jythri - 12/15/2016 at 12:59 PM
She was born on a rogue colony within the Detritus ring. She’s 16.

Don’t have much more detail than that on Shayne.

Garland - 12/15/2016 at 12:59 PM
Can I ask if Caldarius is gonna have any spotlight in lore?

:smiley: @Garland

Caldarius is one I’m holding a bit close to the chest.[/details]

3 Likes

I believe they are Scalewolves and at one point Thorn’s Ultimate would actually spawn one that would fight alongside her however the AI was too complicated and so it got scrapped.

I am hoping with every fiber of my being that Battleborn lives a long time if only so that I can consume more of its lore. So many of these characters have such rich personalities! :slight_smile:
I wish I could identify with one of them though. :disappointed: Isic and maybe Toby are the two characters that come closest to my personality. Oh well! :smile: Reading that Kleese is a massive troll puts a smile on my face.

3 Likes

I feel like I should note that @Jythri offered an important disclaimer along with these details:

So: the team wants fans to feel free to interpret a character’s sexual orientation and gender identity. There’s a “general internal canon”, sure, but I get the impression this is a live, fluid discussion. For example, Jythri’s initial reaction was that Mellka was gay - but he agreed to clarify, returned with the elaboration that she was still exploring her sexuality, and further clarified that she would identify as “queer” and “questioning.”

In other words, while it looks like Shayne, Reyna, and Mell may be our canon LGBTQ characters so far, at the same time, the team aren’t about foreclosing representation wherever people might find it. And at no point do they intend these characters to be “gay characters”, but rather characters who simply happen to be gay (or bi, or going through a process of questioning/exploring their sexuality.)

I know this seems like me going on about my notorious pet issue, but there’s a broader point arising out of this:

Jythri agreed that he would like to see character development going forward. Not just world-building, which is what we have tended to receieve so far through lore updates, but meaningful detail on the ongoing emotional and personal lives of the Battleborn. This is significant because it reminds us that Battleborn is still a living setting, and consequently has growth that the writers themselves are yet to discover.

So to take Mell for example, my impression is that she’s still a growing character even for the writers. Our little lost Eldrid has much to learn about her culture, her loyalties, her parentage, her friendships, and her outlook toward life generally. Maybe she’ll accept the wishes of the Red Observer and embrace the Eldrid; or maybe she sees her future on the frontier with the UPR. Maybe she’ll fall for another woman; or maybe she’ll be forever looking for someone; or maybe she’ll turn her back on love entirely. We can’t know, and shouldn’t yet know. And if I were a writer on this project, frankly I wouldn’t yet want to know.

Naturally, hearing that Mellka is canonically queer makes me happier than Aurox in a shard-storm. But ambiguities are rich and intriguing - indicators of narrative depth. Some of these characters could, fleshed-out, rival any protagonists in any video game franchise. And now we can be glad that they have emotional lives unavailable yet to us and untapped yet by their authors.

On a final note, @Jythri confirmed that the writing team has no objection to fanfiction, yet also stressed that anything I do won’t be “approved canon.” Keep in mind, this same guy also wrote:

So who are you really going to trust on the subject of Mellka’s love life, huh? Hands up anyone who wants me to write the epic comedic romantic fanfiction “The Explorations of Mellka.” Let’s just say that Reyna finds time in that busy schedule of hers…

12 Likes

Reading up about Alani just made me love her even more <3

Fascinating read, though. It seems future DLCs, especially HoE, is going to explain nearly everything in the game. Nice!

3 Likes

I still can’t get over how cute your new avatar is, haha

She moves as well, which makes it even cuter. Sadly, the forum doesn’t allow gif avatars :frowning:

Wow I read everything so far… I deserve a cookie!

Here

hands you a cookie

It’s oatmeal raisin.

6 Likes