I had my first multiplayer game today. But I didn’t need to have it before already realizing with a couple of VS CPU that Taiidan and Kushan are two very weak races in comparison to Hiigaran and Vaygr.
Here is a few things…
- The balance between Taiidan/Kushan and Hiigaran/Vaygr is terrible. Taiidan/Kushan are a lot weaker than their HW2 counterparts. I will explain more why below.
- Taiidan/Kushan doesn’t have shipyards. In a longer running game, as soon Hiigaran/Vaygr get even their first shipyard, not to even talk about the second one, Taiidan/Kushan cannot keep up to the building rate of ships.
- Upgrades! I mean hello? Did you guys really test hundreds of games as you said? I figured this out with my first game with Taiidan. Taiidan/Kushan have no upgrades. Just midgame Hiigaran/Vaygr will have more armor and speed then Taiidan/Kushan. When playing VS CPU games, everything being the same setup except I’m Taiidan/Kushan VS Hiigaran/Vaygr, it’s WAY HARDER.
- Taiidan/Kushan have no effective Strong VS Corvette. Assault Frigates says they are Strong VS Corvettes but they SUCK. They are no where near as effective as Hiigaran/Vaygr Assault Frigates. And Missile Destroyers? Well, they are OK but if the enemy pumps out mass corvettes you’re in big trouble as Kushan/Taiidan.
*Subsystems, Fire Control Towers, Hyperspace Modules on Battle Cruisers. All this are only Vaygr/Hiigaran. Big disadvantage for Kushan/Taiidan.
- Squadrons! Why didn’t you just implement squadrons for Taiidan and Kushan?! The fighter and corvette classes fight way more effectively as squadrons! Not to mention the speed upgrades Hiigaran/Vaygr get that actually increases the Rate of Fire since they can faster Hit&Run.
That’s what I can think of, at the top of my head right now. Basically the Kushan and Taiidan have numerous disadvantages just from the get go. If I were to rate a race all in all, Hiigaren/Vaygr being 10/10, Kushan/Taiidan is like 6/10 or 7/10. A battle 1v1 Heavy Cruiser VS Battle Cruiser, Battle Cruiser wins everytime. What the hell?
Really, the only way for Multiplayer / VS CPU to be enjoyable is to add loads of specializes ships in every class like they did with the Complex Mod. That ■■■■ made the game so much better and enjoyable and even put more unique flavors to the races. It was more balanced. Crew Systems. Loads of ship classes, and even if only one race had upgradable capital ships with a level system, it was still pretty balanced!
If you want a balanced Multiplayer you must add ship classes, subsystems, shipyards at least to the Kushan and Taiidan. And as other topic states, Kushan and Taiidan are very similar. Yea it’s an old game but if you already remastered the game, you might as well balance it with new ships. If someone don’t like it they can just go back to HW Classic, but I’m pretty certain everyone can agree.