Tanks w/ Shields and Damage Reduction

Hello everyone!

With characters like Boldur & Galilea, does damage reduction effect the actual shield health the character holds, shield health pool and HP pool of the character?

After doing some tests by myself it looks like it does but I may be wrong so just wanted to check. I feel like damage reduction should only effect the regular HP pool of the character, nothing else. Could be part of the reason why Boldur is so darn tanky- w/ the passive rage damage reduction with an overshield and any other damage reduction thrown on top of it. Also, Galilea with her health regen and any damage reduction thrown on top can make her even harder to kill.

1 Like

I’ve never done any testing myself, but I read months ago on either these forums or the reddit that DR does indeed affect the effective health of shields like ISIC’s, Gal’s and Boldur’s. It’s because of this that damage reduction is arguably an even more desirable stat on tanks than MaxHP. What you said about DR needing to only apply to the HP pool is absolutely right btw. This needs some looking at by the devs.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s what I thought a bit. Thanks for the response. I played Galilea for quite awhile already and after testing multiple gear loadouts I found dmg reduction to be the best. After equipping almost 20% and helixing to take advantage of health regen, I saw there was a night and day difference with my shield HP going down and shield pool. Takes about 3-4 BBs to kill me or I have to get chained CCed w/ some heavy burst dmg to be taken out.

This could also explain why Boldur’s shield seems a lot tougher than Galilea’s and ISIC’s, since Boldur gets a lot of DR from rage.

3 Likes

Yea, exactly. The rage makes his shield beefier and his overshield he gets on Boldur dash beefier than what it seems.

Shayne & Aurox gets a passive dmg reduction as long as she has her shield up which is cool. It should be the opposite for everyone else- dmg reduction should only protect the HP pool when shield is gone. ex: Boulder’s Dmg reduction, Phoebe’s true strike dmg reduction, Alani full saturation dmg reduction etc… But yea-- this is just my opinion

Edit: I’m not sure if DOT attacks like melka’ poison is effected by characters with damage reduction. Never really tested but in a perfect world… DOTs shouldn’t be effected by dmg reduction. Would be a nice counter. Maybe @EdenSophia knows since her main is melka?

4 Likes

Funnily enough, I do know! And yes, venom is reduced by damage reduction.

3 Likes

Thanks! Maybe someday her venom won’t be effected and you can become the anti-Tank! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Better than being the anti-Toby, which is all fun and games until the little bastard brings out the Double Hug…

By the way, I can answer this with so much confidence because I (unintentionally) tested it once before. @Slif_One was playing about with Montana’s DR stacking, and I used venom ticks as the damage source. Shayne’s DR buff also makes it easy to tell - she only takes 15 (overhead reading) per venom tick out of the gate, as opposed to 18 on everyone else.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, while it may not seem like much when you stack large amounts of DR even a 300 capacity shield can be hard to break. Fun fact, Shaurox not only has DR on her shield but on overshields as well. Her level 1 R, Reyna’s overshields, even the overshield you get from Shepherds. And while we’re on the topic of DR, as @EdenSophia mentioned while I was playing test dummy for Mellka’s Venom damage tests we learned that Montana’s DR from Hailstorm and Mansformation do indeed stack.

I too believe that DR is the preferable stat on tanks, lighter character prefer extra health as +health is a set amount and DR is % so lower health pools prefer more health while larger ones benefit greatly from DR. After the health regen and DR gear buffs, tanks play a much bigger role in this game, it’s a shame that you need to activate gear to make some truly tanky but when you do they can blow games away.

2 Likes

I think it shouldn’t work on physical shields but normal standard shields it should be left on
Imo

Kleese say: yes!

1 Like

Yea… kleese with the DR that is geared to shields is really good!!! Stuff like that is ok… it’s just how DR also effects the actual shield of a tank and over shield. So someone with a lot of DR can hang out with a Shepard for major advantage with all that extra life, with a Reyna for that extra life… you can be extremely durable that the only way to kill them is a CC chain. Taking this from my own experience, I know once I hit lv 5 with Galilea and activate my DR… I can be and do what I want.

Kinda-related thought for a Reyna buff: what if her overshield came with built-in DR?

let’s start with what if her shield actually targeted, lol

1 Like

oh god tell me about it. It’s not as clunky as Miko’s beam but it’s pretty damn close. On anything other than Instant cast it’s totally intolerable, and even then…

I would probably prefer more HP on the overshield than DR since a characters DR skill or DR gear already effects the overshield. Just imagine if a DR overshield went on a Shayne, he would be so tanky lol (DR passive w/ DR overshield stacked). Only thing I wish for Reyna is her plasma burst be default since it’s so useless still and GBX creating a new L Helix for lv 3.

The typical Reyna experience:

“I’m going to save you -insert frontliner battleborn-!”

misses and hits nothing
misses and hits nothing
misses and hits nothing
misses and hits nothing

finally hits something on the 5th cast

overshield’d the Pendles who’s been borderline afk behind the enemy team

I’m not saying that happened to me once, but that was totally a thing that happened to me once.

1 Like

I am so glad this isn’t just me. Except in my case it’s often:

“I’m going to save myself from this band of hungry murderers!”

and then frantically running and strafing and spinning while hammering the trigger and weeping.

JUST LET ME OVERSHIELD MYSELF. DAMN IT.

3 Likes

:confused: i know that feeling, you got pulled by Galilea and your team decides to run to the hills… So no overshield for yourself :frowning:

1 Like

Seriously!!! Hate that “hey guys, don’t leave me behind… at least poke your head out so I can overshield” - lol

2 Likes