Thank you Gearbox

Gearbox,

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for taking the risk in acquiring the Homeworld IP and rescuing it from obsolescence. As a fan of the homeworld universe from the day I first played it back in 1999 (and as someone who is silently cursing the fact that he has to work tomorrow when HW:Rem is officially released), I especially thank you for respecting the work that the initial developers put into gameplay, plotline, music, etc. by continuing to consult with them on each and every aspect of this project. I also thank you for hooking into the modding community, who have collectively produced some of the most thoroughly entertaining content I’ve seen.

I’m fully aware that, while Homeworld is such a passion for many of us on this forum, there still aren’t that many of us when it comes to demographics. You guys could just have easily let the IP pass on by and instead pander to lowest common denominator. “Games that make you think” just aren’t as popular as they used to be. An occasional one will pop up here and there, but I’m finding myself starving for what Homeworld used to give us. But instead of buying the IP and holding onto it with the intent of suing other developers out of existence (I’m looking at you Interplay), you actually dedicated resources to bring it back to life in the best way possible. So I really respect what you’ve done here.

Homeworld is a love affair for many of us, as (for me at least, and I’m sure most would agree with me) it is one of the last few games where it had dedicated staff experienced in science fiction writing and story arcing. In that way, it is more like reading an incredibly well-written book than what I’d qualify as a “game”. And that makes it all the more amazing.

Anyway, thanks again. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

-CAPGuy

24 Likes

YES, what he said! ^^^^^

lol…risk

homeworld license kind of like sajuuk whoever has it holds the key

A big thanks to Gearbox for this one, wonder if we’ll see some of them online

Hear, hear

I agree 100% with what CAPGuy said! He said it quite eloquently… but I’ll add just a bit more.

Thanks too for being true and adhering closely to the canon of the series, instead of just trying to make it “relevant” and “cool” with lots of bling and sexiness. I reference in part that you brought the Relic team into the fold as key contributors and developers, and also reaching out to some of the influential modders like the Complex team. AND for opening the floodgates to future modding through the Steam Workshop.

I can’t wait to play. So thankful for the love, care and attention that you gave the HW universe.

4 Likes

Thank you gearbox now stop teasing us and let us play >3<

OP is spot on. Thank you Gearbox! :smile:

1 Like

Yes, thank you indeed.

Thank you Gearbox; your effort and dedication is truely appreciated.

The original HW helped me forge a great friendship with someone whom I still game with today (15 years later!).

Needless to say we are both getting ready for a trip down memory lane playing HW RM :slight_smile:

1 Like

This project coming to fruition is full circle for me. These other guys have said it very well. I can only add thank you.

There are great game and there are iconic games. The Homeworld series is iconic. As with many other good things in the world, Homeworld has been a positive influence to us. It’s served as an inspiration in creativity and skill. Thank you Gearbox and Blackbird Interactive for this love letter for games and to the fans, it’s stood the test of time. Lastly, thank you for reintroducing this gem to a whole new generation of gamers.

Hear hear!

Yeah i’ll have to chime in with my thanks on this, ss someone who bought Homeworld and Cataclysm on disk back in the day and then Homeworld 2. Theres been no other games released in the intervening years thats quite captured space fleet battles in all their cinematic glory like Homeworld has. Cant wait to get playing again.

1 Like

I’m on that boat. Homeworld was, without a shadow of a doubt, the most magical gaming experience I’ve ever had the immense pleasure of going through. When it came out in 1999, I had my brain in a flurry of science fiction fantasy (still have), from having assaulted my parents’ collection, which boasted all the award winning authors, from Isaac Asimov to Ursula LeGuin. I also grew up surrounded by classical musical, including while I was still in the womb, with headphones put against my mother’s belly (no idea what kind of effect that may have had). Homeworld was the perfect storm. And now, 15 years later, there it is again, with minimal changes (hopefully, but I’m confident). Going through that struggle again is going to be, well, magical!

Thanks Gearbox, this looks really promising, the reviews are coming in positively with the only negative comments being Beta status on Multilayer and some of the original design elements from the original release.

I think it’s safe to say you couldn’t ask for better feedback I hope the community is equally pleased wit the final product.

“Games that make you think” just aren’t as popular as they used to be.

I love you for saying this. That single phrase remarks a common nasty tendency nowadays.

Now, I personally don’t like jumping to conclusions, we don’t even played the game, but without a doubt the effort put into the game is already well seen. You people have gone above and beyond the call of duty with this. I REALLY hope this establishes a standard: not only for more RTS to come, but also for more remastered games. You almost behaved like a indie modding team doing this: Communication with the players and community, lots of effort, lots of respect, and most of all, MUCH LOVE to the IP. I can’t forget you are part of a company that seeks profit, but you made me forget that fact sometimes; and that’s really commendable.

I’ll come back here again this night after my first playthrough!

2 Likes

@CAPGuy- thanks so much for your kind words. I can tell you that Homeworld has been a passion project for many of our devs and I think that’s pretty evident in the finished product. I’ll pass this along to the team and know they’ll greatly appreciate it.

We all really hope you guys enjoy Homeworld Remastered and appreciate all of your support!

6 Likes

Agreed, thanks for resurrecting a great game.

Thank you Gearbox - it’s going to be like me being aged 26 again.

Long live Homeworld and Gearbox!

Andrew

1 Like

Exactly! Thank you!