The annointed post and poll

You have a responsibility to make those decisions for her as her parent. Unless something really weird is going on you have neither the obligation nor the right to make those same decisions for me, or for anyone else (excluding sons/daughters) who plays the game.

So you’re of the opinion that you know better than anyone else what’s best for them? Hmm, ok.

Getting a little tired of pointing this out but the Borderlands franchise has always had OP gear that stands head and shoulders above everything else. There are still active threads on the relevant boards for the original game and surprise surprise they are not just talking about how much damage they are doing with the Hellfire. And this is a game that’s more than ten years old so I’m pretty sure that the “long term” will have been reached by now. People will initially gravitate to the best gear, sure, but while there will probably be a honeymoon period where that’s all you’ll see, after a while people will get naturally bored with using one or two things and will move on. These things have a tendency to self-police.

There’s even a recent example in BL3, where everyone was talking about the Anarchy when it came out but now there’s barely a whisper. Because people have moved on. We’re not all 7 year old kids who need other gamers to tell us what is best for us.

And finally, history has shown that GBX are completely and utterly clueless when it comes to nerfing stuff. Honestly, who uses the ion cannon now? It’s gone from a must have to a museum piece almost overnight. The 300/90 has gone from a must have to a must trash item. And why on earth did they bring an accuracy nerf to a weapon from a manufacturer who’s USP is their laser-like accuracy? You couldn’t make this stuff up. Calling for nerfs for things from GBX is effectively the same as lobotmising them. They don’t understand subtle.

3 Likes

Nobody. As the weapon text states “Fun Detected: OBLITERATE”

2 Likes

Remember Hellwalker, Queens Call, Butcher? Just to name a few. They were all nerfed to nothing. And they were never OP. Who is using them now? Nobody. GBX really has no idea what they are doing.

2 Likes

Could’ve all been prevented with… let’s say it all together… PLAYTESTING!

2 Likes

Sure they do… They trash all old weapons and make the limited time ones in events… or the new DLCs the best and brightest… That then get destroyed by the next event/dlc/patch. This makes sure you are playing their new content! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :money_mouth_face:

What concerns me more than the nerfs is the buffs… The last patch was supposed to be a big weapon balance update. They picked 8 legendary smgs… EIGHT… They should have done 8 of each gun type to give us something to play with. 8 pistols, 8 smgs, 8 shotguns, 8ARs, 8snipers, 8 launchers… That would be a weapon balance patch… 48 buffed legendaries to play with.

4 Likes

Yes, and that is how the Deadeye and other bonuses of its ilk work. You deal 35% increased damage until the enemy is at 75% health bottom bar. Reaper dealt more damage until the enemy was at 40% health bottom bar. This anointment is the only health based bonus that works on total EHP.

This was even tested on the 25 over 50 anoint. It works on the bottom bar. It worked as intended before the hotfix, the same way every other bonus of its type worked. The way it works now is arguably far more unintentional since it is completely out of line with similar mechanics.

1 Like

This is GBx mistake to begin with for making the % on the annoint so large. A legendary class mod gets 35% extra damage… While an annoint that can be put on any weapon gets 300%! This is the issue… If that was 30% then they wouldn’t of had to change the mechanic compared to deadeye.

4 Likes

Exactly.

To further illustrate how silly the whole thing is: FL4K has 3 skills increasing multiplicative damage for pets (GftE, Sic Em, and Gamma Burst), and 2 COM bonuses (Deadeye and Friendbot. GftE is 75% that only activates once per enemy, Sic Em is 30% only on Attack commands, Gamma Burst doesn’t take the previous 2 multipliers into account 80% of the time, Deadeye 35% is conditional on an enemy being high health, and Friendbot is 20% always on and bugged.

Meanwhile, all I need to do is activate an action skill, and I can get 300% damage for attack commands on some pets, x10 what Sic Em gives. If you have the terror anointment for pets, as weak as it is compared to most other anointments, it still provides a 25/88% damage buff that can be active far more often than GftE.

It’s just silly how you need to jump through so many hoops to get damage from skills when anointments give x10 the bonus most of them do for less work.

2 Likes

Completely agree

1 Like

Of course not, and I never said I did. But Gearbox do have both the right and the obligation to make those decisions. That’s their job as game designers. So when they release an accidentally overpowered weapon or mechanic, it’s their job to fix it, regardless whether some players complain or not.

well that’s where the analogy crumbles. We’re not immature kids who need telling what’s good for us. GBX do indeed have the right to do whatever they want with the game, but if we’re going to hammer the point home about obligations then they have one to release a product that’s not riddled with issues. And frankly you have to suspend belief quite heavily to accept that the recent nerfs were indeed down to things not working as intended. Nowhere else in the game is health treated the way the 300/90 anointment now treats it in its “fixed” state. And even the most basic check would have uncovered its “flaws,” as they would have with the YC and Kaoson. We’re not talking in-depth stress testing here, but a 30 second sanity check that the damage output does as advertised. And ditto for the accuracy of a Dahl weapon - it’s pretty hard to believe that was a mistake in the design when it’s standard for all Dahl guns. I may have a bridge to sell you

2 Likes

the 200% is bugged, it only works if you are holding the gun and activate an action skill, if you swap the weapon the bonus is lost, so it actually is worse on Zane.

1 Like

I hate when doing slaughter shaft and seeing 50+ legendaries and only collecting 3 or 5 because of the anointments

3 Likes

Anoints op. Needs nerf…

1 Like

It’s pretty amazing that 2/3rds of voters are actually requesting for nerf/removal of annoints. For once we want a nerf lol

2 Likes

yea, because we want to play with guns
not with anointments xD

8 Likes

This is much. It seems obvious to me that was the original intention of the ASE’s and the fact that they’ve spun so far out of control as to become the goal rather than a supplement is the biggest break in the game. The second is the lack of weapon specialization. Any anoint on any weapon that can be used equally by any VH because there’s no skill tree and weapon interaction is the other big reason why everybody uses the same 6 weapons.

4 Likes

remember 25% crit on ase? yeah that was a good anoint which gave u extra bit of power when you were without your as. gearbx had a right idea but they forgot about it. ase life steal was also decent but percentage was too high. 15% is actually insane.5-6% would suffice

2 Likes

Remember when the game first came out and moze was busted? Then things got nerfed, and she fell a bit, but felt pretty well balanced.

As soon as shield and grenade anoints hit though, she became the 2nd worst character (worst when zane got seeing dead) as she had no reliable way to access those anoints, and even the unreliable access required a huge hassle.

Meeting the requirements of the current anointments leaves multiple characters either forced into one or two builds/playstyles/action skills to be strong.

I could see a world where anoints are fun, and they were at first, but they’ve become too much and created major balance problems among characters. There’s a lot of reasons for it, such as (in the example of moze) poor access to the stronger ones, but they all point to failures to quality test and anticipate problems that make me feel like the developers would need major changes to their approach to make them worth having.

Add all that to the amount of useless anoints, the feelbad of seeing your farm target drop and have a sliding or accuracy anoint 20 times, and the amount of time that forces people to spend to get 1/8th of their build requirement, and it’s just a poor system that probably isn’t worth saving.

3 Likes

Oh, also removing or nerfing the anointments would give us the option to use the many quest rewards (also the linc) that can’t come anointed for whatever reason.

2 Likes