So, I was arguing with my best friend about which class is the best for Co-op gameplay and Team Support. At first, I told him that Wilhelm was hands down the best, because of Laser Guided, his Dreadnought tree and his Action Skill. He told me that Aurelia was the best because of her Contractual Aristocracy skill tree and all the boosts she can provide to enemies. We argued a bit, and I thought I could do a thread about that to argue with people on the forums.
So, first let’s see what each character can provide to the team :
#ATHENA THE GLADIATOR :
She doesn’t have Team-related skills, but the fact that she can annihilate frontal damage thanks to the Kinetic Aspis makes her a good “damage sponge” for the team. This can prove very useful versus Bosses or in the Holodome/Shock Drop. In addition, she is the second most damaging character in the game (Melee or CS builds). This and her tanking abilites can really help the team. But other than that, she is not the greatest Team Support character but she can help.
#AURELIA THE BARONNESS :
She obviously was designed for Team Support with her Action Skill and her Contractual Aristocracy Skill Tree. She provides a LOT of boosts to the team, with Contractual Obligations being the key to all of this, introducing the Master-Servant mechanic.
First, her Action Skill is incredibly good for massive debuffing, allowing the whole team to deal more damage.
And second, she provides LOTS of boosts to the team :
- Valet : Increased Reload Speed
- Protect Your Assets : Increased Shield Capacity and Max Health
- You First : Ability to quickly recharge 55% of an ally’s Shield on a kill
- All Glory To The Master : Increased Critical Hit Damage
- Keep Your Chin Up : Ability to replenish 9,5% of your Health on a kill
- Save The Queen : Ability to freeze marked enemies by shooting at them
The problem here is that a lot of these boosts either need stacking, a situation (for Keep Your Chin Up) or is triggered when the Servant kills or the Master kills. So it’s slightly less powerful that what is on the card. They are still ones of (if not) the best Team Support skills in the entire game.
Aurelia is definitely one of the best for filling this role in a Team.
#CLAPTRAP THE FRAGTRAP :
Our little friend Clappy has a Skill Tree dedicated to Co-op gameplay, just like Aurelia. The good thing about it is that his Skill Tree is less complicated (less stacking, no Servant-Master boost thing) but might be less effective since some of them only boost Claptrap’s efficiency. Let’s see the boosts provided by it :
- Best Buds 4 Life : Provides extra FFYL Time, Damage Resistance, Gun Damage, Fire Rate and a 2,5%/sec Health Regeneration you and downed allies.
- Maniacal Laughter : Provides Health Regeneration, way less painful to stack.
- You’re … GOING TO LOVE ME ! and It’s a Trap … Card : Creates healing Novas when killing an enemy and when the shield is depleted.
- Organised Guns are Happy : Increases Mag Size
- HIGH FIVES GUYS : Increases Fire Rate, Gun Damage and provides Health Regeneration.
Claptrap has some nice Team Support, but imo, Aurelia is better since she has more Team boosts and they are less situational (Best Buds 4 Life need a downed ally, and HIGH FIVES GUYS don’t last a lot of time and has a 30 sec Cooldown).
He is a good Team character, he is easier to use, but he’s not the best by any means. The good thing about him is that he (maybe ?) does more damage, even with a Team focused Build.
#JACK THE DOPPELGANGER :
He doesn’t have Team-focused skills, but he has a Pet-type Action Skill. This can help distracting enemies while you and your allies kill them. In addition, the Doppelganger is the most damaging class in the entire game. Having a Damage-focused character in the Team is always nice. Other than that, he is definitely not the best Team Support character in the game, but he does decent work at it.
#NISHA THE LAWBRINGER :
Again, she has no Team-focused skills, but she is the tied with Athena as the second most damaging class in the game, but she doesn’t require as much stacking and she has the Aimbot HUM HUM Showdown Action Skill that allows you to just spam your mouse without caring about aiming your weapons. I consider her as the worst Team Support character since she doesn’t bring that much things to the team outside of some damage output.
#WILHELM THE ENFORCER :
My favourite character in TPS. He really shines in Team Support thanks to Saint & Wolf (being a pet class that can aggro enemies and damage them by quite a bit actually) and some of his skills, and he can put serious amounts of Damage on enemies while having a lot of Team Support. Let’s look at the boosts he can provide to the team :
- Laser Guided : Allows you to mark an enemy, allowing Wolf to focus on him. Marked enemies take +87,5% Damage from all sources (multiplicative boost, just by pressing the Action Skill button).
- Energize : Occasionally restores 40% of you and your allies’ Shields. 80% with the Celestial Enforcer COM.
- Zero Hour : creates a healing circle that heals you and your allies for 8% Health/sec when you recall Saint and Wolf.
- Hazmat Containment System : provides you and your allies a 50% Elemental Resistance, and the ability to transmit DoTs to enemies.
- Overcharge : provides you and your allies +15% Movement Speed, +75% Fire Rate, +75% Reload Speed and Ammo Regeneration for 10 seconds, just by summoning Wolf and Saint.
Wilhelm’s boost are really huge and they don’t need any stacking or situation (outside of recalling/summoning Wolf and Saint), he has the most consistent Team boosts in the entire game. Laser Guided and Overcharge can give a huge boost to other characters such as Jack, making them absolutely insane. He is one of the best Team Support characters in the entire game.
#CONCLUSION AND YOUR THOUGHTS :
So, in my opinion, Wilhelm is the best at Team Support, but I’m really curious about what do you guys think, so please give me your opinion about this problematic, I’m really interested.
Thanks for reading, and Merry Christmas (Happy New Year soon) !