The Christmas Thread

'Tis the season. :christmas_tree:

Tell me your rituals, plans, gifts, and most importantly, choice of drinks.

I plan to go and stay with my parents some time in the next week. I’ll take a stack of marking with me and some books, then leave them utterly untouched while I get tipsy and frolick with the cat. :upside_down:

6 Likes

My rituals are not very exciting these days, but man I can remember one childhood one when grandma oh crap I almost typed my last name was alive and when I was a wee little human thing.

Why do I remember this one so well? It’s because everyone ■■■■■■■ smoked in their basement, and for fresh air, we have to lie on the floor xD xD. It was back in the days when second hand smoke was not an issue/banned in public places. I haven’t seen that side of the family in a millennia, as dad wont go anymore. They just get way to drunk/stoned.

1 Like

Heading up to see family. Although if I’m totally honest I’m only going because Grandpa cooks a mean Christmas ham. :smile:

Fortunately my mum is by far the best family cook so I feel very glad to be there on Christmas. I think she quite likes being able to escape to the kitchen for some peace too :stuck_out_tongue: [quote=“KrewlraiN, post:2, topic:1552135”]
They just get way to drunk/stoned.
[/quote]
That’s never fun. I have a few relatives of in-laws who I don’t like to get drunk with, the talk usually turns to politics and there’s nothing worse than drunken social or political arguments at Christmas time!

2 Likes

If I’m lucky, we might get a Christmas baby.

3 Likes

I hate holidays. But i especially hate christmas music, christmas cheer, and the holiday spirit.
That being said, we’re going to do what we’ve done since my great grandpa bought this house 50 years ago. The entire family will get together and do gifts on Christmas eve.

2 Likes

Oh wow, that will be wonderful! I hope it comes nicely gift wrapped :smile:

1 Like

Every year on Christmas Eve, I always watch my favorite Christmas movie: “Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation” while eating Chex Mix and drinking homemade fruit punch.

1 Like

Nice! I love Muppets Christmas Carol. I particularly love it because my dad hates it (he hates anything to do with Charles Dickens, including when it comes with added Muppet)

1 Like

It’s the same tradition every year. A big Italian style Christmas (day or eve) meal with close members of the family. It’s been that way since I was a wee lad.

4 Likes

Get woken up by the kids

Tell them to calm their asses down because we need coffee before anything gets started dammit

Open gifts

Play with gifts with kids (continues through the day)

Food varies, this year we’re thinking a brunch type spread, will update once the menu is finalized

Typically my oldest friend will come through in the evening to continue festivities into the wee hours (his parents live about an hour north so my mom’s is a good halfway point on his way home) including more drinking and raucous team Scrabble (the kids love when we disregard manners and start playing curse words) then crash on the couch

We never get too far gone with the kiddos around, just maintain a nice air of cheerfulness. We are the carousing then sleepy types, no angry drinkers allowed

The beverages vary but the past couple of years I’ve favored wine

Random XXXmas shenanigans

Now look again

10 Likes

Dat cup.

3 Likes

Grade A Shenanigans! +many Internets to you!

3 Likes

I am going to put a LEGO train around my Christmas tree this year.

Here is a picture of it:

6 Likes

I work retail, so I despise everything Christmasy. I also can’t afford presents this year for anyone, myself included. I don’t even decorate or put a tree up, because it would just be extra work and nothing to go under it. It’ll just be another day.

I didnt make it, just found it lol
But if I get an internets for being first to post it, sure :blush:

1 Like

I’m not much of a Christmas person. I rarely buy gifts and I don’t really make plans either. That being said there is a certain song that I always listen for a few times in December and I do have a “Christmas tree” that I’m always eager to bring out on Dec 1st.

Not a very high quality picture. There’s small nails in it acting as brances. I never decorate it because I think that would ruin it’s style.

As for drinks, Christmas around here is glogg season so I’m going to get some of that and perhaps some red wine or a couple of dark beers too.

2 Likes

Christmas-stick is almost as badass as @KrewlraiN ´s cactus monster! :heart:

Plan to do some nerdy stuff with our tree, but since I´m so busy crafting stuff for customers it might just get a traditional tree with baubles and such^^

Traditions…mhh…I usual watch “The Last Unicorn” and “Princess Mononoke” on christmas eve, and lots of christmas episodes from Simpsons & Southpark.
The last 5 years I just ty to have a stressless time with food and a small circle of family and friends.
Can´t wait for christmas duck cooked by my Mom :yum:

2 Likes

I plan to stuff myself with as much food on both Christmas Day and New Years Day. In order to do so, I will be fasting for one week before those dates. Gluttony Ho!

3 Likes

Holidays namely Christmas and Halloween and birthdays are still important to me. Weird right? I’m like almost 30 years old, who cares about that ■■■■? Well, I’m weird.

Since I don’t really have a family around, I do put up a tree, I do put up lights for whom? For me and a little secret, I’ve always liked having lights on in the house. A couple good candles burning. I usually get myself and my dog something for Christmas to open, if I get gifts from friends, it has happened, I just toss it around the tree until Christmas day. I usually open one gift Christmas Eve if that does happen.

I usually cook a ham spiked in coke & rum with coke&rum pineapple with mashed potatoes and cranberries. Usually have eggnog or kahlua drinks. This year, I’ll be doing the same thing with probably my dog and my neighbors. I usually get presents for really close internet friends, some that I’ve known for years, this year I couldn’t but yeah. It means a lot to me, it makes the winter mildly manageable.

3 Likes