The Classical Thread

Maurice Ravel…

Mic drop, peace out…

2 Likes

Which piece? I have a vinyl record of the Boston Symphony Orchestra’s playing of Ravel’s Boléro directed by Charles Munch in 1963 that is, in my opinion, unrivaled by any other rendition of that piece. I think it’s Doriot Anthony Dwyer on first flute, and she kills it.

3 Likes

Boléro is a favorite.
I also enjoy his interpretations of Modest Mussorgsky’s "Pictures at an Exhibition."
Gonna to be honest, I haven’t listened to multiple interpretations yet. It’s mostly just the one I was able to find at the local bookstore for now, but when I get off from work tonight I’ll give this version a listen.

2 Likes

Dear sweet musical Jesus, there’s a CLASSICAL MUSIC THREAD?!

Vivaldi, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Strauss II; every other classical composer can suck it.

3 Likes

Castlevania: SotN has some really good music.

1 Like

I like it.
My version is a CD of the 1994 Georgian Festival Orchestra conducted by Jahni Mardjani and Vato Kahi.

1 Like

I quite like a bit of Peter Sculthorpe and Stuart Greenbaum has some cool works too.

The obvious ones Khachaturian, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff and Bach (pick one, all the Bachs are good)…is there such a thing as bad composers!!!

2 Likes

…Schubert?

1 Like

What about Wagner? I do agree, Tchaikovsky is great - only a Russian could use cannons as an instrument and get away with it.

2 Likes

Well, i was just listing my favorites; overall, i agree with @rburf7 that there really aren’t any BAD composers (history forgot THEM), though i’m not overly fond of Franz Schubert.

Also: heheheheh… Wagner.

3 Likes

How did this thread not exist before? :grin:

I like Schubert a lot, but only when he’s played rudely. Not the performances which turn him into a sweet Vieneese tea party accompaniment.

I’m madly in love with anything Beethoven, though my hands have never been up to his stuff on the piano.

And I quite like some Shostakovich.

Is it wrong that I thought of this

2 Likes

No, it isn’t - that’s Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture. With cannons. My all-time favorite peace of music.

2 Likes

I know, it just feels naughty of me to think of Claptrap and classical music in the same breath :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (I was once set on a course to be an orchestral musician but these days I embrace my lack of culture)

3 Likes

“Not the preformances which turn him into a sweet Vieneese tea party accompaniment.”

Hahahaha! That’s a very apt analogy.

As to Beethoven, how about Moonlight Sonata? That one is pretty simple. I think… I don’t play piano; i play… violin. Poorly. -hangs head in shame-

1 Like

That depends on what part of it you want to play. Moonlight Sonata’s second movement is the most well-known and the easiest, ish. Back in the day I was working towards a classical piano degree but that’s out the window now. Could play the whole thing.

1 Like

Some of the movements of Moonlight are tricky (if I remember, it’s a while since I tried to hammer it out on a broken school upright), though the famous 2nd movement is easy enough to start out on. I’ve always been abysmal at piano and forced myself to learn it out of necessity, mostly to help with theory. shudders. These days I just listen! Mozart’s piano sonatas really are some of the best music ever written.

1 Like

Some of Mozart’s are very nice, but still got nothing on this one:

I think I can still play this one even with me arm, but honestly I don’t want to try in case I ruin it.

2 Likes

yo who here ■■■■■ with accordions

2 Likes

hey I wrote a cool new string piece, check it out

2 Likes

Interesting.
It sounds very similar to a lot of the discordant music for the TV series “Lost” composed by Michael Giacchino.

1 Like