The Coronavirus/COVID-19 Thread

1 Like
1 Like

This would fit in Politics, too, but here’s better:

The influencers were asked to tell their subscribers that “the mainstream media ignores this theme”, and to ask: “Why some governments actively purchasing Pfizer vaccine, which is dangerous to the health of the people?”

The brief also included requests to “act like you have the passion and interest in this topic”, and to avoid using the words “advertising” or “sponsored” in posts or videos because “the material should be presented as your own independent view”.

How to advertise Sputnik V the Russian way…

2 Likes

More stuff:

2 Likes

tl;dr - if you haven’t even had one vaccine shot yet, go get it. The latest variant doesn’t care about your ideology, beliefs, socioeconomic status, political leaning, or religion.

2 Likes

I got my jab. My immune system an hour or two later was all…

Had to sleep that one out for a day and a half while my immune system went to town lmao

5 Likes

I got mine - Moderna - 28 hours ago. My shoulder feels like it’s been used as an anvil but otherwise I’m feeling fine.

2 Likes

yeah those shoulder thing here too. I felt like I had the mini flu with my shot though. my immune system be aggressive aAAAaAAaa all that janitorial exposure lol

2 Likes

Less cheerfully, it looks increasingly likely the US is going to miss Biden’s already conservative 70% of adults by July 4 effort. More succinctly, vaccination rates are cratering.

2 Likes

I seem to recall projections were that despite the astounding race to 50%, that the US would plateau in the low 60’s.

I just checked Canada : 63% of the total pop (72% of over 12y/o’s) have gotten at least one dose. We’re up there with UK and Israel so that’s much better than I would have thought 2 months ago.

The centres are booking almost two weeks in advance and appeared to be processing huge numbers of people when I was there - ~40 stations. But this is Vic, where few people fear Bill Gates’ nanites.

3 Likes

Yeah, we just barely passed 50% here - herd immunity estimates start around 70%, and that’s not of adults, that’s of total population. Unfortunately, your estimate is basically on point though, between people who can’t take the vaccines, and the 20%-ish who refuse we’re likely to hit a problem somewhere in the 60% total vaccinated and 70% adult vaccinated ranges.

Regardless, it’s good to check the fully vaccinated rate as well, just to make sure you’re not fooling yourself into thinking more is done than is.

2 Likes

My wife got her second shot yesterday and has been feeling it today (very mild cold-like symptoms). The Ontario government is moving up second dose dates as more vaccine supply comes on stream while simultaneously getting lower age groups their first shot (basically teenagers and up now).

The feds, meanwhile, are talking about requiring full vaccination for anyone entering Canada from the US or overseas. Given the news about all the vaccine holdouts on the other side of the border, I suspect that approach has the support of a lot of Canadians.

3 Likes

This is a little concerning:

Of those infected, 11 had received both doses at least 14 days prior to testing positive, while a further 8 had received one dose.

So yes, you can still get infected after receiving the vaccine (although it looks like your symptoms will be greatly reduced) which also means you can pass it one to others if you throw away the mask and stop distancing.

4 Likes

I have had to explain this countless times to crazies on the comments section of MSN news articles. So many think after they get the jab they are immune it is quite scary. I don’t know why this is the case. So many articles came out explaining that you could still catch the virus, still pass it on, and even still die from it, but all at massively reduced rates and a much much lower chance of needing hospital treatment or death from it with the vaccine. Many people seem to think vaccine = full immunity. The truth is not many vaccines ever created since their first inception have a 100% efficacy rating / immunity, but without them imagine the world we would be living in. Polio, tetanus, mumps, measles, rubella and so many others would still be decimating daily life today instead of being practically extinct in the west.

Basically having the jab does not give you Superman immunity to the virus and you should always use your own common sense regards still taking safety precautions like masks and distance in crowded spaces.

4 Likes

Sorry for the double post, but this just caught my eye.

So this Indian chap says he turned into Magneto after taking his 2nd dose of the vaccine. I am both worried and excited at the same time now. I have lost 2 hairs from my head since taking my first jab. So I am obviously turning into professor X. I am due my 2nd jab soon. Then it is just a waiting game for the rest of my hair to fall out, my legs to stop working and my psychic powers to kick in.

5 Likes

This can only mean one thing: Biontech sucks!

I got both shots and no magnetic powers at all. Spoons won’t stick to me, I can neither move nor reshape forks with my mind and magnetically propelling our family car to save some fuel money doesn’t work either…

I want Magneto powers or a refund!!!

Wait, scratch the refund stuff. I want Magneto powers!

5 Likes

Yeah were the ■■■■ are my superpowers?! I got part one of my autism update and I haven’t fulfilled my next step in human evolution yet!

5 Likes

Silly man. It’s the vaccine borne nanites that are temporarily creating a magnetic field while they’re self replicating. Once they’ve finished creating their grid, the field will be gone and all that he’ll be left with is super human strength and bionic hearing and sight, perhaps laser vision. Pretty lame really.

5 Likes

My post will be less funny than you lot, but the big thing I’ve run into isn’t people who got vaccinated behaving ridiculously. It’s the opposite - people who didn’t get vaccinated taking the opportunity to do so. One thing I’m increasingly convinced of is that the antivaxers are likely to prevent us from reaching herd immunity, or at least doing so fast enough.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind them self-thinning the herd if it was only those of like mind that they infected. Sadly, it’s those who for whatever reason can’t get vaccinated that will suffer most.

3 Likes