The Coronavirus/COVID-19 Thread

Jumped the shark?

Bless your innocent heart, Tem.

The old and honourable profession of the snake-oil vendor is still going strong. Not only is there a sucker born every minute, there’s always someone around to fleece them…

1 Like

So you’re telling me things have got better? Used to be two.

2 Likes

My area - the gift that keeps on giving.

If by that I mean ■■■■■■■■■■■■ I have to make another amazon thing for masks…

4 Likes

Nah, even though I’d love to. :confused:

This should not be necessary:

In an attention-grabbing tweet over the weekend, the Food and Drug Administration wrote bluntly: “You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y’all. Stop it.”

But after bleach, the introduction of a powerful light source into the body (however that would have looked like…), a malaria drug, a diabetes drug and stuff like people imbibing aquarium cleaner, I stopped wondering what may be the next headline.

Things didn’t get better or worse, they’re pretty much unchanged in the weird belief department: How many Americans now inhabit alternate realities? Any given survey of beliefs is only a sketch of what people in general really think. But reams of survey research from the past 20 years reveal a rough, useful census of American credulity and delusion. By my reckoning, the solidly reality-based are a minority, maybe a third of us but almost certainly fewer than half. Only a third of us, for instance, don’t believe that the tale of creation in Genesis is the word of God. Only a third strongly disbelieve in telepathy and ghosts. Two-thirds of Americans believe that “angels and demons are active in the world.” More than half say they’re absolutely certain heaven exists, and just as many are sure of the existence of a personal God—not a vague force or universal spirit or higher power, but some guy. A third of us believe not only that global warming is no big deal but that it’s a hoax perpetrated by scientists, the government, and journalists. A third believe that our earliest ancestors were humans just like us; that the government has, in league with the pharmaceutical industry, hidden evidence of natural cancer cures; that extraterrestrials have visited or are visiting Earth. Almost a quarter believe that vaccines cause autism, and that Donald Trump won the popular vote in 2016. A quarter believe that our previous president maybe or definitely was (or is?) the anti-Christ. According to a survey by Public Policy Polling, 15 percent believe that the “media or the government adds secret mind-controlling technology to television broadcast signals,” and another 15 percent think that’s possible. A quarter of Americans believe in witches. Remarkably, the same fraction, or maybe less, believes that the Bible consists mainly of legends and fables—the same proportion that believes U.S. officials were complicit in the 9/11 attacks.

Back on topic:

3 Likes

Alberta continues its decent into crazy town.

Ivermectin is somehow considered a superior treatment to vaccines. There too, livestock medication is being pulled off the shelves.

Premier Kenney continues to not only display his superlative ineptitude but also display……nothing! He’s been missing for two weeks.

A recent attempted interview with a MLA was immediately shut down by the press secretary because he was asked about Kenney’s whereabouts. He’s actually on vacation but folks aren’t having any of that. Chief Med Hinshaw has also been mute (or throttled) for weeks.

As usual, Alberta leads the pack with infection rate and trailing with Saskatchewan with vax rate.

2 Likes

Start comparing yourself with American states, somehow I think you’ll come out ahead. Plus side, my dentist seems to be taking this seriously (no waiting inside, masks till in chair, etc).

2 Likes

The US and Canadian dental associations were right on top of this from the start, given the very obvious risk of close contact with aerosols from potentially infected and infectious patients.

1 Like

This is infuriating - protesters blocking ambulances from accessing the ER:

I’d always thought of Vancouver folks as pretty chill and easy-going, but this is anything but. @Jefe - what’s going on there? Is this creeping conspirititus infections spreading from the other side of the border?

2 Likes

From the one to the east rather than the south I’d say.
That is pretty extreme for Vancouver despite the slowly but definitely measurable creeping increase of crazy there.

1 Like

Posting this due to the title - the article is actually serious it appears, but my first thought was whether the title was designed to get anti-vaxxers to do it. I feel somewhat guilty about the laughter that inspired, but I still wouldn’t be surprised if some of them did.

I suppose laughter is better than depression, and honestly given the things people are doing you’re going to have some reaction.

2 Likes

Why not.
Snake venom is already used in medicine. For instance:
Captopril is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor, a type of drug used to treat high blood pressure and improve survival and reduce the risk of heart failure after a heart attack. Its main compound is derived from a species of pit viper found in Brazil.”

And there is research for venom to be used in treatments of cancer.

I don’t see headlines of heart attack/ cancer patients flying out to Brazil trying to make a viper bite them.

I don’t think we should be so dismissive of alternative therapeutics if it can possibly save lives.

Oh I don’t disagree with the substance of the article - I don’t have enough information to have much of an opinion on that in the first place, and I encourage such research. I simply have a very low opinion of humanity’s logical reasoning (or at least our tendency to ignore it), one that’s been borne out by many of the things people have done to themselves in response to COVID.

1 Like

And that is the minority (of dumbasses) than the majority that seems to be reported.

2 Likes

That’s the state of affairs. When did anyone last read headlines like:

• Driver Behaves Responsibly On Interstate Highway
  • No Terrorist Attack In Teton, Idaho Today
  • Toddler Successfully Uses Slide
  • Citizens Didn’t Poison Themselves With Worm Cure Or Aquarium Cleaner
  • Peaceful Day In Anaconda, Montana

Normal behaviour or news don’t get clicks or sell newspapers. :man_shrugging:

Meanwhile, Germany is more or less bracing for the case numbers to rise in autumn. But we’re having federal elections in three weeks, so no one in politics really wants to talk about it…

3 Likes

Seems relevant.

3 Likes

I guess they took the horse or cow pill…

Funnily enough, Ivermectin is as effective at treating Covid19 as a placebo. However, a placebo has far fewer listed side effects. So if someone is suggesting taking Ivermectin, counter with a sugar pill.

It got me thinking that at some point someone is bound to suggest that non-vaccinated people who’ve contracted CV should have to pay for their treatment.

Which reminded me of most search and rescue organizations whose policy is to not charge for expensive (and frivolous) rescues since it might cause those people to not call for help….and die as a result.

Anyways, it’s not going to happen in Canada but I wonder if this sentiment has any teeth elsewhere (I feel like this discussion already happened :thinking: )

2 Likes

It has. It first popped up around the beginning of summer, so I can’t even tell you which outlet covered it first off the top of my head. That said, I utterly despise the medical industry, so giving them another way to defraud people does not please me.

1 Like

I posted a couple of links a while back on this. Basically, some employers are already levying a health insurance surcharge on their employees who refuse to get vaccinated. I don’t think US hospitals can, by law, refuse to treat patients any more than Canadian ones can. I believe insurers in the US might be able to set rates or deny coverage on the basis of vaccination status? Might vary by state, of course.

Edit - just saw this:

The federal goverrment does employ rather a lot of people. Although the scope of the initiative is more ambitious (and likely going to be contested vigorously in certain quarters):

2 Likes

Honestly, the big one here is actually the OSHA rule requiring private employers with over a hundred employees to require vaccines or weekly testing. Read an article on it earlier, and given $14,000 fines per violation they seem serious.

2 Likes