The Decline of Gaming

1 Like

While I totally agree with the guy I don´t see this as an endless downward spiral. To me it seems like the industry as a whole is purging itself. Consumers have played along, complaining a lot while buying lootboxes, early access etc. I am as guilty as the next guy, having decided to stop preordering about a year ago, but I did pre order BL3, only to put the game aside for weeks because my vault got wiped empty and it took a while for the patch to arrive. Next thing to bug me was the discounts offered on BL 3 only ONE effing month after release. And while I am unhappy with all of this one has to admit that BL3 is a game without all those hyperagressive monetization schemes and no battle royal ■■■■ - it´s a solid single player/coop game when half the industry (or more) keep telling people that this is not what they want.
There are companies that seem to shovel their own graves and I am fine with that - others will hopefully turn around and resume to produce games that are fun and not just thinly veiled cash grabs - help them by becoming a customer instead of a consumer.

2 Likes

Yeah I have to agree that BL3 is a great example of how single player games are still wanted by many, and not going down the micro-transaction route was true genius.

I truly think that gamers are some of the smartest consumers, especially those with more than 10 years experience.

And when the industry pools their knowledge more - games will improve significantly.

Eh… “gamer” in this sense is a pretty useless phrase. I’ve said this a lot, in a lot of different threads, but “the games industry” is a very real bubble in the same way that people can get sucked into political bubbles. It’s really easy to be involved and get a lot of interaction with other people that play and review games, but at the end of the day… I’m not entirely sure how much good we can expect about it.

The short version of the rant is that people who aren’t commently subscribed to some form of critical gaming media on youtube or reddit or wherever barely know what to call the big things that are railed on every day (like loot boxes, microtransactions, etc) and certainly don’t know they’re big issues. The big thing I really like to talk about here is Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - huge story about how much grinding was needed to get skins, every major gaming source had a story about it, the reply that EA gave is still (or at least was) the most downvoted comment ever on the site with 683,000 downvotes…

Aaaand the game still moved 9 million copies in its first month.

My brother came home late last year and was utterly geeked to tell me about the deal he got on Fallout 76 - 30 bucks for a game that had only been out for 2 months? Crazy good deal. He’d heard nothing about the issues or controversies and just bit on a sale he saw for a series he liked… and he and his friends actually buy more new games yearly than most other people I know. I can’t tell you how many other issues I’ve brought up to family or even friends around my age and they just completely had no idea about “big” stories that dominate the gaming news cycle for weeks, months, or in 76’s case, going on goddamn near a year now.

My point is, the people who are aware of shady policies and actively change their buying patterns is relatively small, compared to the people who know but still buy “occasional” things, and especially small compared to the average consumer just buying their kid the new COD or Madden game, or even older adults with a little expendable income every paycheck who like to check out at the end of the day.

Soooo the companies will keep using those policies until the either become non profitable or illegal.

I don’t think it’s going to be the end of gaming because eventually, one of those is going to be true, be that for economic or judicial reasons >.>

8 Likes

My dad was thinking about buying 76 when it was first released because it was set in West Virginia. (Which is his home state.)

But when the controversies came out, He decided not to buy it.

Microtransactions are also the reason why my mom and I don’t really play a lot of mobile games anymore. (I’m looking at you, Angry Birds 2.)