The Flak over Fl4k and what it cost

ONE IS TEMPORAL! THE OTHER IS A COMPARATOR!

3 Likes

For some reason, I’ve been banned from many sexist/transphobic forums. It seems like, the people who run the forums get to dictate what rules to follow. And if Gearbox says “no misgendering” I don’t see why that shouldn’t extend to characters.

5 Likes

If you have questions about gender, you can start a dialogue with me. I’ve been living gender neutrally for the past five years now.

1 Like

What sort of help should I seek? I’ve been to a psychiatrist and they’ve only diagnosed me with ADHD. I asked about gender, and they said that “being non-binary isn’t a mental illness.”

5 Likes

https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gender-dysphoria

7 Likes

And I wish you weren’t banned, charleychibi. I wish we can say things (Besides violence and its incitement) and not get censored over it.

It should not extend to characters, and for people, for that matter, because we start shutting down dialogue, and alienate people that we could otherwise build some sort of bride with. Instead, they say, “You don’t think the way we do, so you’re not welcome here.” That will lead to nothing that is good.

4 Likes

ProZD is the voice of FL4K btw

5 Likes

Buddy, that source literally defends my position.

5 Likes

Y’know what’s pretty disruptive? Dropping into any thread where people are just talking about the topic and going, “HEY, don’t use male pronouns for flak! Use gender neutrals ones!” and then watching as everything spirals down.

Trying to put people just casually use he/him for flak under that rule is, well, pretty insane. It isn’t “detrimental” to the conversation until someone makes it detrimental by pointing it out and making a mountain out of a molehill. Someone who would be offended by a character being misgendered would also probably go to the ER for a papercut and shouldn’t be the deciding factor in what can or cannot be said.

25 Likes

Private forums are authoritarian by their nature. We agree to a set of rules when we sign up here. GB has the right to censor speech how they wish on this forum, just as radio hosts and television can end discussions whenever they wish. The wonderful thing about the free market is that there are other options if you don’t like the way one place is run.

But it just seems strange to me to hearken authoritarianism to a private forum. Of course it’s censored, this isn’t a shared public space. It’s owned by GB.

4 Likes

Yes, I have gender dysphoria. My body does not match my gender. It means, I do not identify with what I was assigned at birth. Yes, that is what I said.

I enjoy that you took 5 seconds to google “non-binary mental illness” but that source literally defends me.

3 Likes

Or, and go with me on this - referring to a single entity, especially a machine in a video game, as “they”, which is a pronoun that has traditionally been saved for referring to multiple people, is abnormal, and they would prefer to use a more comfortable pronoun by referring to this robot (who sounds very masculine) as a he/him. The same way that a boat is traditionally called “she”, and not it/they

Maybe if Fl4K was a human character, you would have more of a point. But as it stands, Fl4K is not.

13 Likes

If you feel that way i am most defiantly sorry. There’s alot to keep up with and this by far my first thread. I don’t usually do fourm like things but after hearing about all this i couldn’t just sit on my bum and watch the world continue to burn, especially in a medium that i hold dear, that being gaming. Games have saved many lives and taught many lessons through it’s art medium and that reputation is getting tarnished over things like this. It’s dirt thrown in the face of real artistic stories and characters because of fights like these. I’ve had enough and i know many people feel the same way. We need to get along and the only way that is going to happen is if we understand each other better than we do now.

I hear you on how you feel about people assigning a role. However there are people replying on and outside of this forum who assign Fl4k a role for various reasons which do NOT mean because they are simply fools who think PEOPLE should be either male or female. That is exactly the dangerous correlation i’m bringing up. Those two topics are not sandwiched together and i refuse to allow them to be viewed like there’s some kind of gorilla glue between the two. Fl4k being gendered by some, fine. It’s got nothing to do with how people treat you or any other ACTUAL person/human being. If someone finds it easier to gender Fl4k then that is their priority, their life, their decision, their focus. It is when that focus is bended YOUR way that it should set off alarm bells. These people are only fools if they slander you. Not if they simply want to give something a gender for whatever reason. One is harmful. One is harmless unless used or turned against you or someone else. To assume a gateway without definitive proof and then to ACT on it is the real foolishness that is being spread on these forums.

12 Likes

It isn’t. Gender dysphoria is. Here’s the treatment for gender dysphoria, from your source.

Treatment options for gender dysphoria include counseling, cross-sex hormones, puberty suppression and gender reassignment surgery. Some adults may have a strong desire to be of a different gender and to be treated as a different gender without seeking medical treatment or altering their body. They may only want support to feel comfortable in their gender identity. Others may want more extensive treatment including hormone treatment and gender reassignment surgery leading to a transition to the opposite sex. Some may choose hormone treatment or surgery alone.

Literally, the “help” you told me to seek is what I’m doing.

1 Like

Buddy, I’m currently doing those things. I am living as a gender other than the one I was assigned at birth. That’s the treatment.

2 Likes

If you PM the mods, that tends to work better. Don’t take it from me @Tokesy97

1 Like

Correct! GB can moderate these forums however they wish. However, I am asserting that these “bannable offenses” have overreached. Most of us can agree on most things we shouldn’t be able to post on forums. There is a status quo.

However, once you add “If you don’t refer to fl4k, a robot, as these specific pronouns, you’re banned”, we are no longer in the realm of reasonable rules and regulations. It is forcing a very specific ideology onto a very broad crowd. This is not usually expected from a video game forum.

13 Likes

So, remember how we’re supposed to be excellent to each and not personally attack each other over the gender non-conformity of an unreleased character?

Yeah

3 Likes

Again, from your source.

• Gender identity - is a category of social identity and refers to an individual’s identification as male, female or, occasionally, some category other than male or female. It is one’s deeply held core sense of being male, female, some of both or neither, and does not always correspond to biological sex.
2 Likes

I think you can identify as whatever you want it doesn’t effect me, but I also think me calling a robot he doesn’t effect you or any other gender x, y, z person.

14 Likes