The Flak over Fl4k and what it cost

Even Wikipedia has a decent description.

1 Like

I’m truly sorry, but I honestly have no idea what you’re even trying to say anymore. You’re just all over the place.

Also, you keep calling Borderlands an RPG when it isn’t. The playable characters in the franchise aren’t created by the players. They all have pre-set, canonical and definitely intended identities, backgrounds, personalities and even in-game reactions that are totally out of the player’s control when playing the game. None of the customization options available to players change who the characters are in the game.

6 Likes

Lol my dad texts / types in all caps Bc he’s not tech savvy or computer literate. Some do it to bypass grammatical correctness. Some use caps to emphasize. Again perception. If someone typed to me in all caps I wouldn’t say omg stop yelling at me when I can not read text with a tone of voice when it will be my own tone of voice so I can manipulate it to come across in a way to sound a certain way to to fit a narrative to the situation or point that I want to believe in that may not actually be how it was intended to come across by the person writing it.

Oh ■■■■. Not here too.

1 Like

It is most certainly a hybrid rpg/fps. Just because it’s not an MMO doesn’t mean its not an rpg image|432x499

They’re not all canon lol some characters were written in to fit a story plot / twist / get people thinking.
Sorry I’m on a phone and it’s not auto correcting things so the sentences seem to come out wrong. I edit them, don’t worry. What are you confused by with what I’m saying?
Why do you think they made it in VR? So you can finally feel like you’re your character now. Just because the character model is prebuilt doesn’t mean it’s not an rpg. You’re experiencing everything as you are them, you play dungeons and dragons as the whole campaign of Tiny Tina’s DLC! For Example; the most compared game to BL, The idiocy that is Fornite That is not an rpg shooter, this series has always been. That’s what makes it so unique and lovable. Because it’s not just a looter shooter.

Uhhh sooo someones feelings on the way they perceive themselves (besides transgendered and transitioning medically because you’re chemically altering your body to fit more to how you see yourself) what healthcare besides mental health care? I don’t see anyone else saying they need a character for how they mentally feel Sooo All the off the hinge, always talking yourself outta offing innocent people schizo/ bipolar / borderline personality / manic depression future psychos out there, have no fear! Krieg was made for you! This is how I perceive your logic.

If we call these games RPGs (there are definitely common elements, but the hybrid nature is glaring), and the point of an RPG is to play a role, and the game comes with prebuilt characters with set backstories, then the FL4K character’s binary gender identification (which is the case according to the writers, developers, publishers, etc.) is part of the ROLE you are assuming when playing this RPG with that character. If you don’t want to play that role there are 3 other characters you can play. Right? Have I missed something? Why are we still doing laps around the mulberry bush here? Aren’t we dizzy enough already?

2 Likes

I’m pretty confused about what point(s) you’re trying to make here. :confused:

3 Likes

Surely the ‘RGP’ elements of borderlands are the skill trees and level progression, nothing more?

I say this after having played tabletop and live action rpgs since my teens.

2 Likes

I’ve always considered borderlands to be a FPSRPG.

I have met a player who did play it as an RPG game, role playing his many characters, often based on build or allegiance. So a Hyperion allegiance character would have huge moral dilemmas about killing engineers and would run past them wherever possible. Maliwan characters prized elegance and never opened dumpsters. It’s quite fun to do, though I’ve never been as dedicated - he never broke the rules so some of his characters just never progressed past certain points!

I think that kind of gameplay is pretty rare though.

1 Like

Right. Exactly. But you can’t expect people to adhere to ideals of a real life issue when it pertains to a robot. If FL4K was a human character in this and let’s say they needed to for the game, like in bl2, a wanted poster of them to describe their appearance to alert others to look out for them for a reward, if I lose you I’m sorry, I come through better in actual tone not text. Ok, the description would probably say: look out for a tall - could be male, could be female - hunter with animals with them, they’ll look for Mordecai. Because if you limit them to 1 or another and say male they’ll look for all men. If you said female they’ll look for all women. If you give the notion of both then it’ll be easier to spot someone with a quick first glance that resembles both qualities. In this case if you say look out for a Giant Robot who at first you’d mistaken for a man given the height, mass (that the coat makes them to appear much beefier) and Bane Voice, with 3 monsters / creatures with them. They’re gonna spot them out instantly. And They would be correct because it’s identity cannot be specified as man or woman because it’s not a human

Pretty much all of it. I don’t know what point you’re trying to make anymore.

Sure, it contains elements of RPGs. Just not the elements that would support your argument.

Yes, you’ll be “feeling” like the character, but it’s still a character created by someone else, not your character. You’re definitely in that character’s shoes, but you don’t get a say in deciding who that character is in the game. Isn’t that the whole point of your argument? You were saying that because the game is an “RPG”, it doesn’t matter how the characters were originally written, the players are free to decide who those characters are once they start playing. That the player’s view of the character is as “true” as the creator’s, no matter how far it deviates from the intended characterization. I’m saying Borderlands really isn’t that kind of RPG, so that argument is flawed… Specially when used to validate a dismissal of FL4K’s intended non-binary representation and/or choice of pronouns, which is the only way I can see that argument even being relevant to this discussion.

At least, I think that’s what you were trying to say. Like I told you, I’m not sure anymore. If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

^This is what I’m saying.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s going a little extreme due to boredom or an over active imagination and too much time on your hands lol. So all us FL4K players better either try not to kill any creatures that are your pets kind of feel awfully terrible when killing skags, jabbers & spiderants. Hell recently now when I play I’ve started saying “I’m sorry lil bbs” when I kill a Skag or spiderant (I mean I already felt bad for them most of the times) butttt i gotta get my tubbies.

My point is that this character has no standing ground to be the legit NB character to represent real world NB issues. If I was NB I would see this and go uh no that’s not me, just Bc you throw a pin on doesn’t mean much it shows you’re a poser, you’re trying to fit into something for the sake of it with out actually being it. They wanted to make a joke about a character plot point giving you the hint that it’s non-binary, literally. But couldn’t unless they included the trending social made political topic these days of gender neutrality and any lgtbq topics. The game mirrors off real world topics in a dystopian future. Hence why youtubers/streamers/influencers are the main bad guys in this because it’s relatable & trending at the moment then it was 7 years ago or probably won’t be 100s of years in the future; given the planet itself survives that long.

I’d like to point out that this is a game with bipedal guns, among other interesting armament quirks. Extreme is relative. As to whether or not it’s because of boredom or an overactive imagination, no one is saying that your imagination is under-active, please refrain from casting aspersions. I think that level of imagination is a beautiful thing rarely encouraged these days. You may not feel the same, but if imagination is discouraged we’d all be playing CoD, and I (if no one else) would be extremely bored.

See, if you’d read through this rather lengthy thread you’d have read posts from non-binary forum members that are happy to see themselves represented. But you are not non binary, and therefore patently unqualified to even guess at what their reaction might be. Listen to, don’t just hear, what people are saying. You might learn something. I’ve learned a lot from those posters in this thread, I’d heartily recommend you do the same.

3 Likes

If we were playing CoD, we’d be pressing ‘F’ for respect. And getting trolled. And fighting Zombies cause reasons

1 Like

Because fl4k is literally non-binary coding so they made it also identify as such. The writer mentioned in every tweet used as an example in this thread says fl4k is NOT a catch all representation. NB is added in as double entendre as inclusion to the NB issue. To spread a word on the issue. How many google searches for NB do you think have been done because of this? It was a way to shine a light to NB, it doesn’t compare to real life NB issues tho.

I’ll take your word for it. I’ve never stepped console on a CoD map and likely never will. There are too many better games, like anything Borderlands related for example, for me to sink time into anything I find dull and face heard is toxic. Anyway, there’s plenty of trolls here now too. So I’m not totally missing out on the experience.:wink:

It is a really awesome playstyle; he got more time out of the game that anyone else I know.

Shame the guy started sending unsolicited declarations of love and desire to me every time I logged in, I enjoyed seeing the characters.

We also don’t actually know the full story yet by any stretch. I think it’s a bit preemptive to say how Fl4k is or isn’t represented (and how important their gender is) - ^^ is all we know.

I do love CoD Modern Warfare. Eerie ruins and men in uniforms… :drooling_face:

3 Likes