The French and Surrendering

Alright y’all!
I’ve had it!
STOP COMPARING THE SURRENDERING TEAMS TO THE FRENCH!!!
IT’S AN INSULT TO THE FRENCH!!!
The French people have a long, proud history that includes Napoleon, Joan of Arc, Lafayette, and Maurice Ravel!
ALL badasses!
Comparing surrendering teams to the French is an intolerable travesty AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT!!!

I am calling on Gearbox to counter this horrible anti-French stereotype with EVERY OTHER FRENCH STEREOTYPE!!!
I want taunts!
I want skins!
I want new voice recordings all dedicated to how BADASS THE FRENCH ARE!!!
I want Kleese dressed up as Jean-Luc Picard floating around the battlefield on the command chair from the Enterprise D!!!
I want Phoebe running around stabbing people dressed as Madame Defarge! AND THEN I WANT HER TO TAUNT THE SHISH KABOB BY SEWING HIS OR HER OR ITS NAME ONTO A HANDKERCHIEF AND BLOWING HER NOSE ON IT!!!
I want Oscar Mike dressed as one of those robot guys from Daft Punk!
And I want Toby in a little Napoleon outfit because he acts like a little Napoleon when someone moves his favorite seat out of the rec room. I’M SORRY THERE’S NOT ENOUGH SPACE WHEN WE ALL PACK IN THERE FOR MOVIE NIGHT, TOBY! I ALSO CAN’T HELP IT THAT THE LAVATORY IS CLOSER TO THE REC ROOM THAN THE STORAGE CLOSETS!!!

But back on topic…
Gearbox… we NEED French cosmetics. This is a NEED!!!

And players… we need to start showing our French pride now by SPAMMING THE MICS WITH THE LES MISÉRABLES SOUNDTRACK!!!

ALTERNATELY SUBSTITUTE MAURICE RAVEL… BECAUSE NOTHING IS MORE BADASS THAN BOLÉRO!!! NOTHING!!!

VIVE LA RÉSISTANCE!!!

4 Likes

I’m French and I agree with everything but…

This is the worst thing I’ve ever heard ever.
■■■■ Les Miserables.

It’s the worst thing I’ve heard and I’ve heard a dying ferret scream.

I was in the French military for a short time… Those people are ■■■■■■■ insane and never quit…
Not to mention French mercs will take missions with a 1% survival rate.

3 Likes

Oh, are there peoples doing that stupid association in this game as well? I keep complaining about surrender in BB, but I never stumbled across one person saying this. Is this on a board, or directly ingame?

it’s a frequent stupid association outside this game though. Peoples not knowing the french history doing that, can’t blame them for it, they’re just following the trends without informing themselves x). Historically (and it’s still the case today) French armies are a nasty stubborn bunch that never gives up and can resist enemies while terribly outnumbered.
Even the second world war -that lots of peoples when it comes to France only associate with the surrender- was full of such example. Heroic sacrifice as well, like the famous Battle of Dunkirk where the French 1st army sacrificed themselves and didn’t surrender a battle that could not be win, to give the English troops the time to escape, for example (the “comical” part is that the belgium army that was with the 1st French Army surrendered, and that the English Army didn’t cover the French escape even though Churchill made the promise of doing this. The French covered the English escape, not the contrary- in the end, today peoples think French are cowards who surrender due to the second world war, but the second world war itself tells otherwise).

Oh, btw, I’m French and I hate surrendering. Even at 3vs5. This has nothing to do with French hiostory since that’s just my personality, tho. I know french players who surrender regularly. And some who don’t.

Honestly though, you shouldn’t get upset by that comparison. It’s done either to troll or by peoples who don’t know a thing about what they’re talking about.

Or both…
And may I just add (although I also hate les miserable)

Vive La France!

I’ve found the French people that I’ve met to be a fantastic bunch. I even proposed to a wine maker named Claude, once. But that’s another story…

2 Likes

It’s so funny.

You care about strangers opinion ? I know my valor and I don’t care about the rest. It’s just troll and everyone know what’s happen to troll.

But it’s a funny post :slight_smile:

Commentaires d’un Français.

It’s not about our own valor though. I’m a pacifist and I’m not ashamed of it. I do not believe that armed conflict can solve things. I also am completely aware that the fact it doesn’t solve things will never stop countries to go to war, as this is human nature.

That “french surrender” is fine when it’s intended as a simple joke, but the root of that “franch = cheese eating surrender monkeys” is mostly political, and that’s not as funny. AFAIK It came to life during the 90s from the irritation of the USA about the opposition of the French government over some of the US military decision. Some comical version of it like in the simpson are part of the cause as well, and those ones are fine. I mean the simpsons pokes fun at everything, that’s like their raison d’etre x). But the political one isn’t fine.

Despite our 60 years long bickering between France and USA over a part of the international politic of USA government, we do not spit over the US army heroes, martyrs, dead soldiers and the like. I personally think that’s rude.

There is no point in complaining about this like the OP does though. I personally just leave it be, idiots are gonna be idiots, and that’s it. Still, I can understand that some peoples may be offended by it, as this is highly lacking respect for peoples who gave their live not only for France, but for Europe, freedom, and so on.
Although asking peoples over internet to show respect is absolutely useless~.

1 Like

vive la france, les français, notre vin, notre camembert et notre fair play.
si les devs de gearbox peuvent faire un perso de borderlands avec un accent français cela serait genial.

1 Like