The Hunt 2017: Battleborn Edition

So if you follow the Borderlands community, you will know that this week is the annual Twitch Community Event called “The Hunt”. While some of us are kicking themselves for not having a Borderlands version of the Gear Search ready for the event (honestly, I just forgot), I was thinking this would be a great event to do for Battleborn!

Not only will you have resources such as the Gear Search to help track down Legendaries but I was thinking I could probably rework the collections functionality on my website for a custom page to track items obtained during the event, I could then feed that into a tally/stats page so you can see where you place against everyone else who has signed on for the event. I could even give @lowlibot a very small upgrade for the event depending on how much time I have to work on it. :sunglasses:

So when would this event happen? Well I can’t think of a better time than the first or second week after the Winter Update drops!! The game will get possibly one of its biggest quality of life updates ever and will likely have a Beatrix/Operation announcement just around the corner. The Borderlands event should also be over by then too so we won’t be competing with it. :yum:

Maybe Gearbox could also time some in-game goodies (Lootpocalypse!!) that same week?

So before then, we need to figure out the guidelines for such an event starting with calling on all our veteran PvE runners to help determine the point values of each Legendary based on how hard it was for them to get it. Do we include just Legendaries that drop from bosses or can Loot Pack Legendaries count too? If a Legendary Drops from a lower tier Loot Pack, would it be worth more points? These are the types of questions we need to think about and probably get a spreadsheet going that I can later feed into a custom collections filter on an Event Page.

If people can, @ mention anyone who you think would be handy to bring to the table on this discussion, be it streamers, event organisers, veteran PvE players or devs. I’ll start with my own list of people. Gearbox devs: @Jythri @JoeKGBX, Community Badasses: @MentalMars, Discord Rulers: @Tokesy97, @Kaleidodemon. The One That Knows Everything: @Kitru. Community Organizers: @FlamesForAll.

I’m going to post this on the Discord and on Reddit, but if you know of other pockets of the community, be sure to link them back to here so we can get as many people talking about it as possible!!

Important Note: I am actually doing a talk at a conference this month about APIs in games, so I am going to be a little bit preoccupied with preparing for that up to and during the week of the conference meaning I sadly won’t be able to take the reigns of this event if it happens to take place before 22nd January but I reckon I can commit to the Event Page idea I mentioned at least. There are probably people much better suited to run it than me anyway (I’m just the ideas guy). :sunglasses:

So start discussing people!!

[edit]

Added Gothalion’s video on the Borderlands “The Hunt” for reference.

7 Likes

Won’t you be able to buy consumables that boost the drop rates too after the Winter Update? So unless they are banned, making it Lootpocalyptic would give everyone an equal playing field. Having a higher drop rate just means the overall score will be higher as I assume getting multiples of the same Legendary are still counted towards your total right?

Side Note: Will getting a double be worth less points each time you get another one?

Maybe rather than mess with the drop rates, credits earned could be tripled (maybe they could even temporarily modify the sell value of items so they sell for more) and Loot Packs could get discounted so people can try for Loot Pack Legendaries more often given the limited week long duration of the event?

I could definitely do up a UI for something like that. I’m thinking you’d bring up a grid of legendaries, tap the one you got, which will bring up a popup where you pick from a set of pre-defined Major Stat rolls (ie <50%, 50-75%, 75-99%, 100%) to automatically calculate its score value. No tedious spreadsheets necessary!!

1 Like

I think since Battleborn has a very different campaign structure (and that you won’t be starting a new save file because the game is online) that the scoring structure will have to be different as you could choose to farm 1 mission to get all the Legendaries (you could maybe get bonus points for getting a complete set) or spend your week chasing after some of the particularly hard to get ones such as Rendain drops on Advanced. Given you have a much higher chance than in Borderlands, I think getting those doubles should still count towards your score rather than it being “oh I got ANOTHER Chrono Key!!” its “nice I got another 1-2 points towards my score”. You don’t get the Legendaries until you reach the bosses in the story missions (some of which can take a while to complete) so you should still get rewarded some points for seeing it through.

[edit]

Oh!! And Gearbox could give out prizes (Gold and Cyber skins) to the winners/top scorers/participants!

1 Like

I’m gonna compare this Battleborn ‘Hunt’ event to the Borderlands ‘The Hunt’ event.
Do we need to use the same name, ‘The Hunt’ or can we call it ‘Gear Up’ or ‘Armageardon’ ?

With Borderlands you can do a clean start, so you don’t have any items/money/etc. With Battleborn that isn’t possible. So i think we need to work around that. Because you could stack up money or gear packs prior to the event. Borderlands does allow there gear from ‘Any’ loot source. If you are required to get a specific legendary gear from the general loot source (gear packs) this could become a painful grind. So if all players start with less then 2500 credits (price of a core loot pack) we could add any general legendary item as bonus points. Players with access to Story Operations are able to grind for Commander Faction Packs. These do have an increased chance of dropping legendaries. So these players could have an advantage.

Farming in Borderlands is a bit easier, because you can load in from various check points to shorten your travel time and speed up the farming process.

Borderlands has more unique drops. various enemies or certain quests give out specific items. With Battleborn only mid-bosses and end-bosses drop unique legendary gear.

Prizes: GBX is providing some prizes for battleborn tournaments. unique shift codes for loot & skins.

1 Like

I think it would make it easier to compare it to the Borderlands version by giving it a similar name. If you give it a custom one, you then have to explain it to someone who doesn’t understand that we are super puntastic around here. Alternatively those other names could be slogans and catch phrases (pictures a banner with “The Hunt 2017: Battleborn Edition” and then underneath Oscar Mike would be saying, “Holy crap! It’s the Armageardon!” and/or “Oscar Mike is telling you to Gear Up!”, etc).

Making it a requirement that people participating have to be streaming could alleviate this somewhat. You could also take stock of what they have on them at the start and at the end if they have less credits than what they started with then you can assume they have spent some of their credits from prior. You’d also have your inventory sorted by most recently obtained so they can’t include items obtained before the event started.

The UI I’d build for it would also create a timestamp for when they get something so you could theoretically do a couple of quality checks to prevent cheating.

This is a super radical idea, but Gearbox could create a Title that while worn disables gear obtained outside the date range of the event (which we know are being timestamped since you can sort them by date). Combining that with the stocktake of your credits, that should actually cut down on a lot of holes with running it off an account with hours played on it already. While I don’t yet have access, the devs should also be able to check your account to confirm all the gear you said you obtained during the event are legit without having to check each person’s stream for confirmation. @Jythri would any of this be possible at all??

1 Like

Lots of good ideas. I’ll have to add to this after I’ve had some time to think about it, and that after I’ve had some sleep.

2 Likes

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I’m having so much fun with the Borderlands Hunt 2017. Can’t wait to do it with Battleborn. Good idea!

1 Like

[quote=“Tokesy97, post:2, topic:1553438, full:true”]

• Score legendary gear on whether it can be dropped on Advanced or Normal only.[/quote]

It’s also important to try and normalize the value of story missions that have different sized loot tables: Algorithm has 10 possible drops (5 on Norm; all 10 on Adv); Sentinel and Saboteur have 8; Void and Experiment have 6; and Renegade, Heliophage, and Archive only have 4. As such, the loot from the “stingier” missions should be worth more to encourage people to do the missions more.

If we assume that all legendaries within a given drop pool have the same drop rate (not that I believe this, but there hasn’t been any statement of the contrary from the devs), my recommendation would then be to figure out a score for each story mission based upon relative difficulty and distribute the score across all drops from that mission equally (if we learn that they’re not all equal, we distribute the scores across the items based upon their relative rarity).

If we had access to the full trove of dev information, we could get some pretty good info on fail/success rates (ignore failures that occur before the first quest advancement because those are the suicide credit ones, though I’m curious if there are enough of those to actually make a significant impact) and completion times to actually create a difficulty grade ((100 / median completion time) / (total successes / total non-suicide attempts)) for that specific mission and difficulty.

Since we don’t have access to that information, and, while I could throw up numbers that make sense for me, I’m not sure how well they grok with the experiences of the rest of the community. As such, it might just be best to make all missions equal and just assume that competitors will do the easy missions first before moving on to the harder/more time consuming/less efficient fare (like Heliophage Advanced).

Of course, we could just abandon all pretense of trying to make all of the different missions equally appealing and instead focus on simplicity. If we do this, we just give every legendary the same score and acknowledge that people are going to farm Algorithm, Sentinel, and Saboteur way in excess of Archive or Heliophage.

On the other hand, I think this might be a good way to, as a community, encourage people (especially newbies) to get gear that makes for good loadouts. We could more heavily weigh the most useful legendaries (i.e. make a more comprehensive version of what I did here) and even include the most useful of the non-legendary pieces.

Really, I’m curious what the actual goals of the Loot Hunt should be, other than just giving people stuff to do:

• Are we trying to encourage people to run all of the different story missions? If so, we need to normalize the score that you can get from each.
  • Are we trying to just get people to go out and expand their collection of legendaries? If so, we just need to have people scored on how many different legendaries they collect.
  • Are we trying to get people to collect specific legendaries? If so, we need to assign scores to the different legendaries based on whatever criteria are decided upon.

If we can actually answer what kind of behavior we want to encourage, it can go a long way towards figuring out what our scoring methodology should be.

I’d probably just make it a binary “Max or Junk roll”. Junk (i.e. non-max) rolls give half points. Max rolls already have something like a 50% chance of happening (based on my experiences) so it’s already weighed in the player’s favor and just having to know a single value (the max roll) will make it easier to decide to farm it again or not.

I wouldn’t count them at all, honestly. I also wouldn’t count Loot Pack legs because that gives people with substantial existing wealth a major advantage (not to mention that people can get them via PvPing, which I don’t think is intended; also, they’re insanely RNG dependent; I’ve been trying to the single legendary that I’ve been missing for nearly a month now and it’s incredibly exasperating).

Not sure I agree with this. There are only 2 ops legendaries at the moment so it won’t really skew the results much. I can see the reasoning but I’m not sure it’s necessary (and would also encourage people to try out the ops).

Of course, if we apply score based upon difficulty and completion time, the ops legs are going to be low scoring anyways (since the ops take 20 minutes and don’t really have mandated failure points like the worst of the story missions).

As someone who doesn’t like stream and recognizes the difficulty in regularly finding a spectator, I have what’s probably an “easier” solution:

A screenshot (or screenshots) of your entire gear bank before entering (in the “most recent” sorting method, which I don’t believe many people use for regular storage) and one at completion (the order of gear at the end should be the same as the first set of screen shots, allowing us to ensure that anything afterwards is new gear). Just require people turn in their “end of hunt” screenshots before the time limit runs out and it should curtail cheating.

3 Likes

I actually prefer “Gear-mageddon”. Rolls off the tongue better, imo. Also, it follows a similar pattern as “Loot-pocalypse”.

2 Likes

I was actually thinking of the screenshot idea in my head when I was thinking about ways to lock down potential holes for cheating, but then I thought about what would be involved with uploading and storing said images. Though if I think about it, having a “Event Drops” thread on the forums and on Discord running alongside the event would be a relatively easy way for people to log their progress. You could also set up a community on PSN (I assume there is an equivalent on Xbox?) for logging there too since its a pain to upload screenshots from a console to anywhere that’s not a chat for social media.

Lots of great points to think about here which is exactly why I called you away from your Legendary grind :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This sounds really interesting.

Should we create a temporary channel on the Discord for the event?

Are we talking a discussion channel or one for tracking drops? I’d wait for the latter until we have figured out all the details first. The Borderlands Hunt event was apparently in the planning stages for about a month, I made this post like 3 hours ago. :sunglasses:

I would suggest it be 2 forum threads. People will post their entry screenshot(s) in one thread and then post their “final tally” screenshot(s) in another (I could see allowing people to post multiple times in the final tally thread but disallow any edited posts to prevent cheating by editing in something after the fact).

Could be fun to participate in, if it is post upcoming patch and without the requirement that it needs to be streamed.

1 Like

We could also do a Twitter hashtag too for people that use Twitter. People are posting screenshots of their drops on the Borderlands Hunt event atm.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheHunt2017

Would a hashtag on twitter be a possible way to upload screenshots for proof of drops? Could be a nice way to get Battleborn trending after the winter update.

Edit* oops 2 seconds late haha

1 Like

I ninja’d you :sunglasses:

1 Like