The Madhous and DoT damage (2 different subjects in the same thread...Yes, I have ADHD)

Question to regular Gaige players:

The Madhous has:

• Splitting, unlisted pellets
  • Ricochetting bullets
  • Huge mag size that gets a LOT out of the better half
  • Accuracy is already a non-issue (It’s not that much worse than the Hail)
  • Decent base damage
  • high theoretical DPS (almost no reload in combat situations, high fire rate and splitting bullets)
  • can come in shock

… so why isn’t there more love for this gun ? On paper it’s amazing on Gaige, yet it’s not in the Top Gear and no one hardly ever mentions it. What am I missing ?

2 Likes

Never got that rifle to work on her, not even on lvl50. Eratic firing pattern before ricochet makes it unfun to use imo.

1 Like

I see most people who use the Hail on her get to point blank anyway, so it can’t be much worse no ?

Kind of a mix of a Hail and ricochet fibber playstyles.

The Madhous’ firering pattern can swerve around the enemy when not completely facestuffing or CE abuse.
To be fair though, I might’ve missed something on how to make it work.

1 Like

Yeah. It strikes me as a gun that CAN be great if you take the time to get used to it…

Huge mag size and slow reload speed doesn’t help for stacking Anarchy, maybe it explains why Mechro players doesn’t use Madhouse this much… :neutral_face:

I can’t remember if Madhouse 's bullets speed isn’t lower or not than other gun’s bullet… :sweat:

Bullets are a bit slower yes.

Most gaige players have guns that they use to stack anarchy and guns they switch to once they are at full stacks. This is more a case of the later.

The Madhous! was a weapon I only recently started using regularly (it fits the unique-non-e-tech-slag niche for my Bandit-only Mechromancer). I don’t think Close Enough works right with it? Like it ricochets on its own randomly in spite of Close Enough? Anyway, aiming it right in front of the feet of an enemy, so the ricochet doesn’t have time to go wide enough to miss will get them on target reliably enough.

I have been surprised at how well it fares against airborne enemies though… that’s an area of research I haven’t dove into yet (to confirm that I didn’t just get lucky with some kills).

1 Like

I mainly play my Mechro with that Fib-Bee or Bee-Ber (as you prefer :wink: ) build…
If i could loot a Shock Madhouse, I would love to test it with the appropriate build thought :smile:

IMO, Gaige players just use the best combo available and nobody has ever really tested that AR… :confused:

In my defence, my Mechro mains the Tattler. ;p

2 Likes

Really ? that sucks. since it splits right on impact, I would imagin it would behave a bit like the ricochet Fibber. Are you sure about this ? or maybe the bullet pattern remains even after the ricochet (just like the Hail’s with Nisha)

I’m not a good Gaige player by any means, but a LBT build could work with it too.

Yeah, and that’s one of the sad parts of the story IMO

I have to give credit to Salvador, Maya and Zero players in general who tend to test just about everything that comes their way. Many good combos are probably still out there for Gaige, and nobody even noticed them.

2 Likes

LBT builds are getting vastly underrated imo.

I vaguely possibly remember on the old forums that it was one of the few weapons which C/E didn’t work on.

1 Like

What I remember is that it did NOT get the full damage after bounce like the Fibber does. But I remember it working as far as bouncing bullets goes.

This.

2 Likes

Might be it. As I said, my memory is vague on this matter.

[quote=“Chuck80, post:11, topic:667185”]Really ? that sucks. since it splits right on impact, I would imagin it would behave a bit like the ricochet Fibber. Are you sure about this ? or maybe the bullet pattern remains even after the ricochet (just like the Hail’s with Nisha)[/quote]I’d love to find out that it works with Close Enough, but that hasn’t been my experience. My current hypothesis up for confirmation is that the initial bullet impact (and subsequent ricochet into two pellets) is not affected by Close Enough, but the subsequent pellets are open to Close Enough, but need to hit another surface themselves for that to proc. This would make it incredibly good in an enclosed room (where the split pellets will quickly encounter a wall), but much less so out in the open (where they’re prone to flying off into the distance).

[quote=“Adrion54, post:9, topic:667185”]IMO, Gaige players just use the best combo available and nobody has ever really tested that AR…[/quote]I don’t believe we’ve met :hand:

1 Like

You don’t count: you play every character :stuck_out_tongue:

Also (total change of subject) is there a way to predict which gun has high DoT value (not chance) It seems to be equal to base gun damage on some but not always (mostly guns with low damage), and i’m puzzled as to where to look. What are some good guns with high DoT damage value ? (so that I can abuse EE and EBurn)

It seemed to me that snipers would have higher DoT damage, but they only have higher chance to apply them. So far, nothing looks great :frowning:
I’m playing around with the old Gear calculator and spawning a lot of level 1 guns to have a point of comparison, and no matter the gun, they almost all do 9 damage on the DoT. The only exceptions so far are Maliwan guns (who do 10.8) and the Tball fist (that does 12)

[quote=“Chuck80, post:17, topic:667185”]You don’t count: you play every character[/quote]Fair enough.

I think I just disproved my hypothesis: I went to Overlook in the Highlands, spawned that one lone Constructor, and started firing the Madhous at the ground so the split shots would ricochet into the side of the border turret there, and have a chance to proc Close Enough and aim over to the Constructor. Not a single bullet in the magazine did this.

[quote=“Chuck80, post:18, topic:667185, full:true”]Also (total change of subject) is there a way to predict which gun has high DoT value (not chance) It seems to be equal to base gun damage on some but not always, and i’m puzzled as to where to look. What are some good guns with high DoT damage value ? (so that I can abuse EE and EBurn)[/quote]Without looking at the card itself? I almost always prefer Maliwan grips for this reason, but other than that, I think it’s a characteristic that’s tied to the weapon body/barrel? The Crit has pretty high electrocute damage (and is fairly easy to get as well).

1 Like

Alright… that sucks :frowning:

Yeah, without looking at the card. I’m looking to know what affects DoT damage. So far, Maliwan parts are the only thing.

The T Ball fist is a bit better (though it might just be because it has fixed Maliwan parts and I didn’t bother to change them on gear calc.)

Sadly I can’t look at the crit on Gear calc to compare as the guy who made it stopped maintaining it after DLC 2 :frowning:

Edit: The Maliwan grip has no effect (other than boost the %chance) but the Barrel does increase damage.
Also, the Good and Bad touche(s) are slightly better than anything else i’ve tried so far, maybe the crit is the same.

Even the freaking Volcano doesn’t get any better in that department than most things… That thing was made to set people on fire!