The New Food/random talk thread, but mainly food

I don’t know about that. I just really hated my job and wanted to put as many time zones as possible between me and it on vacations. The food thing is just me wanting to stay fat in interesting ways. :wink:

I miss travelling, but between the plague and kids I don’t know when I’ll be able to again. If you make it here we’ll find a way to get some gluttony on, maybe hit a local brewery or two. It’s always been a good food town, and the borough I live in is one of the most ethnically diverse urban areas in the country, so we can probably find something interesting, even after the Covie closures.

1 Like

I’m off to heat up some left over chili the wife made yesterday. Love me some chili. :yum:

First rounds on me. :innocent:

1 Like

You’d have liked our dinner last night, then. Roast beef, served with oven roasted potatoes and acorn squash, and a helping of sautéed mushrooms. There was broccoli as well; don’t know how you feel about that, but it tasted a whole let better after I’d drizzled the melted butter from the squash over it!

I’d also had to go downtown, so I’d stopped at out local bakery-cafe on the way home for cheesecake. We topped that off with raspberry sauce made by the simple expedient of zapping frozen berries in the microwave.

Man, that was a tasty meal.

3 Likes

all of it VH. I would have loved all of it. Sounds delicious. I love broccoli. Normally, when I BBQ tri tip or have the wife cook up some filet mignon, I like to pair it with broccoli or a vegetable medley. When I Q, we usually have roasted corn on the cob with that. We change it up. My step daughter likes to cook like her mother. They tend to do a tandem dinner from time to time. good bonding time for my wife and her daughter. :innocent:.
And I get to reap the benefit. Get in my belly! The food, that is. :yum:

1 Like

Any idea if you can roast broccoli? I’ve had roasted squash, all manner of root vegetables - even carrots - and brussel sprouts (surprisingly tasty). So now I’m wondering what else you can throw in the pan.

2 Likes

I do this fairly often. Usually by itself, tossed with olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic, but I can’t imagine that pan drippings could hurt.

2 Likes

How long/what temperature?

I’m usually on the freestyle. I tend to go between 350° and 400°F (based on how long I procrastinated getting started), and I check and shuffle it around in the pan every 15 minutes after the first 25 or so minutes. It really depends how crispy/burnt you want it and how fine you break it down. Feel your way to the right time and temperature from smaller to bigger. I tend to line my baking sheet with foil if I want a quicker cleanup and parchment paper if I just want it to get into the serving dish faster.

I also do this with cauliflower.

Also, if you’re looking for something a little different, we’re fans of cutting up sweet potatoes on the small side, tossing them in a BBQ rub, and roasting them until tender with crispish edges.

4 Likes

I fry the broccoli in a pan, but only when cooked, fry them in oil with onions and then sprinkle with breadcrumbs, this is what my grandmother used to do, then my mother and now me. Delicious added to every meat.

3 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. I suppose I could use tinfoil to put them on the grill. Kinda like fish. so it doesn’t stick or peel off when flipping them.

Yes, all of that, YES. :yum:

This is me as well.

My wife and step daughter are into that right now. Cauliflower Buffalo wings, cauliflower rice, etc.

I’m going to have to try this, we love sweet potatoes as well.

3 Likes

I’ve had sweet potato fries at a local restaurant (pre-covid) multiple times, and this is basically how they make them. They are really good.

3 Likes

I deep fry mine like I do regular potatoes.

3 Likes

While that doesn’t sound bad, I’ve personally come to prefer baked/roasted over deep fried. Apart from anything else, it doesn’t make quite the same mess in our kitchen!

4 Likes

Pfft. You’re not really cooking unless you’re making a mess. :dukejk:

3 Likes

Sounds like my Stepdaughter. :roll_eyes:
:joy:

1 Like

You could try this method

5 Likes

“Method for getting fined by doing something stupid” - pretty sure that’s not restricted to cooking, though!

4 Likes

Step children took me and my wife out for dinner over the weekend. The Gambling Cowboy was the name of the restaurant. Pretty cool. We had to take an elevator to the 3rd floor where they provide balcony dining. pretty shnazzy…

12oz. Filet. :yum:

7 Likes

My birthday was also a few days ago. For dinner we had a Danish lunch.

From left : smoked salmon, brie, Stilton, mandarins, marmalade, salal jam, potato chips, Maudite (Belgian style beer), homemade rowan berry schnapps (and afterwards homemade crowberry schnapps), hummus, pate, peppers, pickles, eggs, salami, cream cheese. Various breads of course.

For dessert : æblekage, which isn’t kage (cake) at all. Apple purée from our own apples with crumbled makroner (sort of like a meringue but better)

and whipped cream on top.

7 Likes

Belated Happy Birthday to us. Here’s some Banana Cake

I remember also me and @Kurtdawg13 have the same bday.

5 Likes