The New Food/random talk thread, but mainly food

Then you probably love Friday the 13ths like I do. Every 7 years we get it on our bday.

Hope yours was as good as mine, friend. :innocent:

5 Likes

Happy Chanukah. Latkes and donuts, from your friendly neighborhood yeti.

5 Likes

Pizza with chicken crust?! Egad!

Sooooooo I made it tonight and obviously it was great. I had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge and used one breast, two eggs (rather than one) and manchego rather than parmesan.

3 Likes

So, being Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday) today…

What are your favourite pancake toppings?

I’m a big fan of bacon, blueberries, and maple syrup for N. American style pancakes, but sugar and lemon juice on crepes.

That said, there’s a place called Yorkville Crepes here in Toronto that does amazing savoury crepes - ham and Brie with apple in a fresh crepe is amazing.

5 Likes

We do our pancakes just a bit thicker than crepes. I usually have them in the mode of my dad : sour cream and jam.

For breakfast on the farm I used to make 2 sourdough pancakes, mash banana, nutmeg and cream together and use it as filling between the two. I didn’t share :grin:

5 Likes

The patisserie down the road makes these on special occasions, though I’ve said that Tuesday would be special if they made them.

Once, as a younger man, I was in Amsterdam for my friend’s bachelor party (it’s probably at least partially what you’re thinking) and we went to the Pancake Factory for breakfast 2 consecutive days. The pancakes are roughly the size of a small NY pizza pie. Day 1 I got mine with cheddar and bacon. Day 2 I got it with canned pear halves, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, and confectioners sugar. My stomach gets aroused when I think about them.

5 Likes

It seems like I’ve been away for a while now. Basically, less gaming, less social media(practically none) and living/loving life!

The wife and I just got back from the Hawaiian Islands. We spent 8 days there…Maui for 3, then Kauai for 5. :beers: lots of Mai Thai’s lol…

We had a blast and can’t wait to return. We’re bringing the kiddo’s on our next trip out there.

Meet Zeus! The newest addition to our family.
and I might be uploading some pics of the 8 lb. brisket we’re currently smoking in our new grill/smoker:
IMG_2028
Can’t wait to try that brisket!
Edit:

Trying to keep the temp at a constant 225.

We have brisket in the back and tri tip in the front.

4 Likes

Mmm. Where are you guys located again? :dukewhistle:

2 Likes

I welcome any one of you in this thread to stop by, anytime. :partying_face:

My boy loves the smoked tri tip and brisket.
If you’ve never had smoked corn on the cob, you don’t know what you’re missing.

4 Likes

I’ve roasted corn in the BBQ, and that’s really tasty. Don’t have a smoker, though.

2 Likes

I didn’t have my phone handy to snap a pic, but we “attempted” to smoke freshly ground tri-tip. The grinding was difficult. And we smoked them for too long. The tri-tip burgers came out like hockey pucks. lmao The taste was there, but we just over did them. Still learning how to smoke in the smoker. its hard keeping that temp steady and not exceeding the “smoke range” of temperature. and burgers you typically flip(often) to not burn any sides. you have to keep the lid closed for the “smoking effect” to take place. This was an epic fail! But it sure is fun learning.

2 Likes

You could try giving them a bacon/pork belly blanket. The rendering fat would probably help keep them moist, plus you’d have a wonderful topping ready to go for bun time.

Would it work? Don’t know. I would definitely be game to try though. :man_shrugging::wink:

3 Likes

Nice! This is good advice. Thank you @paulothead I appreciate any advice since I’m new to the smoker grill game. I’ll give that a shot and it sounds amazing to boot. lol

2 Likes

I’m not really too well versed in the realm of smoker games, but I’ve been in a crew that did a whole hog a few times. The pitmaster wouldn’t touch a brisket as he said it is the “insensitive douchebag of BBQ”. I was just thinking that more fat would help it be slower to dry out. Alternately, you could go for a basting schedule, though I suspect that would be more work.

And tell me how that works out if you try it. Because I might be looking at a smoker session in the next month or two with my buddy and whether or not it works for you may dictate part of the day’s experimentation phase.

2 Likes

will do. not sure when we’ll try that again, but when we do I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

I chopped up some smoked brisket a few months ago and made chili out of it. Tasted damn good too.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. I’m going to give that a try. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

It was left overs that nobody seemed in a hurry to eat. I added beans, beef stock, some tomato paste, and flour to thicken it up.

3 Likes

I’ve edited my post 3 times and it keeps duping pics on me. Deleted

1 Like

Even System can’t get enough of your food, Kurt. :dukeego:

4 Likes