The New Food/random talk thread, but mainly food

I wanted to share my new technique. I smoked tri-tip last night, but not in the smoker. I did it on the charcoal grill side, so the temp was high and it cooked in roughly 35 minutes or so. Had a really good smokey flavor and it didn’t require smoking it for hours.

The trade off, is the tenderness of the meat. The quicker its cooked, the more chewing it becomes, so I have to be careful with this approach. I had the trip tip placed on the outer portion of the grill, evading the flames… as the flames died down, I moved them towards the center. turned out well.

So, the trick I used was dropping the wood chips in just before I drop the tri-tip on the grill. That allowed for the smoke to billow thru for a short while. they burn up quick, but release a ton of thick smoke. that actually worked. the meat was very smokey…just not as tender when slow cooking it in the smoker.

4 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

This is right after I smoke tri-tip:

4 Likes

IMG_2082
Lilith is a fish! apparently…

IMG_2084
IMG_2081
She was amazing in the water. Anytime someone jumped in, she went after them to save them. lol She puts her head up on the paddle board when she needs a rest. lol She is definitely a fish. Next, we’re taking her to the bay with us. We paddleboard in Dana Point Harbor, so she’ll love seeing the fish jump out of the water. We went to a near by lake to test out the life vest for her. worked great!

4 Likes

Is there a marinade you could use that’ll keep it tender, like maybe soda or something? I don’t grill much, so I don’t know.

1 Like

Any citrus marinade will help tenderize, but I don’t think it makes it grill longer. I’m not sure honestly.

Starting the smoker…

@paulothead trying the bacon covered burgers

edit: it worked! The burgers weren’t overcooked. Nice smokey flavor. Great idea @paulothead
i smoked them for an hour. flipped them on the half hour mark. turned out great.

3 Likes

BACON!

Screw you, @system, you don’t understand bacon. :dukejk:

2 Likes

Au contraire. You just have to use the correct syntax:

:bacon:

1 Like

:yum:Excellent. I figured if it works for meatloaf then mini meatloaves should also benefit. Damn glad that worked out, as I’m planning on doing that when we get our little grill next week or 2.

3 Likes

Of course there would be cicada recipes. What with my location and current diet I won’t be partaking, I bet a few of you might just be tempted.

2 Likes

No thanks, I’ll pass. :dukejk:

3 Likes

I haven’t actually seen any this year, but I’d try it. Perhaps not cook them myself, but if it was on a menu? I’d order a plate.

2 Likes

I made homemade chili and cornbread the other day. :dukecheese:

2 Likes

I grabbed a chicken roti for lunch on the way past the store today - well worth it! They also make fresh coleslaw just the way I like it, and don’t put the dressing on until it goes in the box/on the plate. SO much better than something that looks more like the sauerkraut got moldy.

1 Like

Was gifted a rather lengthy squash (fuzzy melon, scratch that. Spoke to the neighbor and apparently they call it long melon, and lots of other sources just say calabash) today, and made meat stuffed rounds of it. Not bad, though I’m certain I can improve it with experimentation.

4 Likes

I ended up with an interesting little meal tonight.

It started by cutting up yams and sweet potatoes into oven fries. I was going to make a bean chili to put on top but the wife vetoed the beans and asked me to make something with falafels instead.

I fried up onions with cauliflower, green beans, fennel bulb and a few minor assorted veg. Then a korma sauce with coconut cream.

So sweet potato fries, baked falafels and cauliflower curry ended up kofta aloo ghobi and holy ■■■■ was it ever good.

3 Likes

This is something I’ll have for breakfast sometimes and it is pretty filling. It’s a chicken teriyaki bowl and i added some bacon crumbles and 2 hard boiled eggs. The eggs here are the kind that are already to go, so it’s cold and i can easily cut it in half and dip around the teryaki sauce.

5 Likes

I’ve done refrigerator pickles and pickled cherry tomatoes (cucumbers & tomatoes from our garden) this summer and they turned out amazing. Totally addicting to snack on.

Trying refrigerator pickled (grocery store) string beans and onions.

Added some pepper flakes to the spices to give it a kick.

Just made them and in the fridge they go.
Takes approximately a week to pickle. Can’t wait to try.

4 Likes

Last Thursday’s dinner. Fried quinoa with mixed veg, tofu, and eggs.

3 Likes

I do not mean to offend, but this looks like the microwaveable kind of teriyaki chicken bowl(s).

I can appreciate making something more than what it originally was. I used to heat up Campbell’s vegetable soup and add a few drops of Tabasco Sauce. Really livened that soup up. :yum:

Or take a box of mac n cheese and add peas and ham to it. Used to love that one as a kid.

Back in my bachelor days, I used to take packs of top ramen and boil the noodles in water with a splash of Teriyaki sauce, and I’d have chow-mein. lol poor mans chow-mein. I threw away the sodium packet.

3 Likes