The Problem with Iron Bear COMs

Now that Iron Bear is the hot new trend for Moze mains, I felt like giving my thoughts on two of Moze’s IB-centric coms: Bear Trooper and Raging Bear. For now, we’re going to ignore the fact that the best Iron Bear com is actually Blast Master.

Bear Trooper: This is a great com in theory, but it has the same problem that pre-buff TCP had: it doesn’t improve the ability where it counts. The increased Iron Bear duration is nice, but it doesn’t really make IB hit harder in any meaningful way, ironically making it the worst option for an IB-centric build. My proposed change would look something like this:

• +50% Duration
  • -50% Fuel Consumption
  • +50% Iron Bear Damage
  • -25% Iron Bear Cooldown

The purpose of this is to make it capable of competing with the dps being put out by Raging Bear, while also giving it the unique advantage of allowing the user to be in Iron Bear much more often.

Raging Bear: This com is honestly almost perfect, the only problem is that for some reason the bonus damage is capped at 40% (This might have been changed while I wasn’t looking, but I’m pretty sure it hasn’t), which is insanely low compared to how much damage IB can get from Blast Master. The only change I recommend to make this com better is to remove the damage cap entirely increase the cap to somewhere around 100-150%. Also change the red text from “unbeatable” to “unbearable”. Come on, gearbox.

1 Like

Iron Bear is ridiculously OP now so you don’t really need additional damage anymore making Bear Trooper a viable com at end game.

Raging Bear is fine as is as well. Although I would say that arguably the best com is Mindsweeper for Iron Bear since any crits will proc the Mindsweeper grenades.

Iron Bear is ridiculously OP now so you don’t really need additional damage anymore making Bear Trooper a viable com at end game.

I don’t like the idea of relying on the fact that Iron Bear is OP at the moment to claim that Bear Trooper doesn’t need changes. Even if we do use that logic, Bear Trooper is still the worst option since Raging Bear can give you similar duration boost and fuel consumption reduction on top of giving you a damage boost (even if it’s only 40%).

Raging Bear is fine as is as well.

Care to explain why you think this? A 40% damage cap is a bit ridiculous, especially when you have coms like Blast Master and Mind Sweeper which give Iron Bear a much higher damage boost without requiring him to lose health in return.

I agree with Kourana, IB hardly needs more damage. Bear trooper and flat 50% duration increase is better and more consistent

If Iron Bear gets nerfed, then yes it would need changes but if not I don’t think it does. It provides the longest duration you can get with Iron Bear.

Raging Bear is good because it gives damage and lower fuel consumption (which means it will last longer).

Both class mods give you points in skills that affect IB duration and lowers the cooldown which don’t affect IB.

I think that choices as is are fine. If you want more damage and utility outside of IB then use Blastmaster or Mindsweeper. If you want to focus on IB go with Bear Trooper or Raging Bear.

Viability of certain weapons (Salamander, Bearfist. Grenade Launcher) is a problem.

If Iron Bear gets nerfed, then yes it would need changes but if not I don’t think it does.

I think this is where our disagreement stems from. Your argument hinges on the idea that Iron Bear won’t be adjusted in the near future, while my argument stems from just looking at what each com has to offer on its own.

Raging Bear is good because it gives damage and lower fuel consumption

Both of which are conditional, which makes the 40% cap even more confusing. It’s not like you get the bonus damage right out of the gate, you have to actively take damage until it reaches the cap.

Can someone please explain how blast master effects IB?
I’m a moze main and use a blast master but even in the DLC a raging bear has done more damage than the blast master. Maybe I’m missing something but blast master doesn’t seem to add any damage for IB.

1 Like